Is this happening to anyone else?

Options
MissJJ74
MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
So the past 2 weeks due to stress and maybe not being strict on watching carbs, I now seem to get neuropathy in my hands and legs. The funny thing is it's now my trigger to know when my sugar is high because then the pain starts.

What's strange is it starts happening even when my numbers are not even that high for an average meal. I was told by my doctor it's normal for our BG to shoot up after a meal, but as long as mine wasn't nearing say 200 I should be fine. (I have been below 170 so far thankfully). However, I get the pains even when my sugar is in the 120's-130's.

Is this normal? Does anyone else get this? I only noticed this started happening recently, around the same time I managed to get my fasting numbers into double digits.

Thanks.

Replies

• djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have not had that issue - BUT from what I've read sometimes it takes a little time for your body to adjust to the lower levels so that causes it's own issues. I would keep track of it and let your doctor know at your next appt if it doesn't level off.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have not experienced this either. It does sound like a discussion with your doctor is in order. I would be concerned with your numbers being that high on a regular basis. Do you see a diabetes doctor/endocrinologist or a general physician?
  • tlangenfeld
    tlangenfeld Posts: 2,330 Member
    Options
    just posted similar topic before reading yours. I was told by a nurse friend not to wait with these symtoms to get a appointment with a doctor A.S.A.P. also was told by a clinic nurse to go to walk in that day even though i made an appointment with the doctor for friday.
    was told this is something you don't wait for as it is your nerves and waiting can cause nerve damage also can become disabling my advise would be to go get it checked now
    i am glad i did as they started me on a nerve med and only first day on it but i feel a difference
  • MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    just posted similar topic before reading yours. I was told by a nurse friend not to wait with these symtoms to get a appointment with a doctor A.S.A.P. also was told by a clinic nurse to go to walk in that day even though i made an appointment with the doctor for friday.
    was told this is something you don't wait for as it is your nerves and waiting can cause nerve damage also can become disabling my advise would be to go get it checked now
    i am glad i did as they started me on a nerve med and only first day on it but i feel a difference

Ugh I won't have insurance again until July. :sad: :grumble:

My sugars keep around 85-120. They only tend to go higher after a meal, and that is when I am getting the neuropathy. I guess I will call my doc tomorrow and see what he says.
  • Darlekins
    Darlekins Posts: 44
    Options

What's strange is it starts happening even when my numbers are not even that high for an average meal. I was told by my doctor it's normal for our BG to shoot up after a meal, but as long as mine wasn't nearing say 200 I should be fine. (I have been below 170 so far thankfully). However, I get the pains even when my sugar is in the 120's-130's.

Thanks.

Your doctor is incorrect and it is to your detriment that he is advocating control to such high numbers.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045678.php

Neuropathy can occur in at "pre-diabetic" levels, so I've never understood why more doctors do not push patients towards "normal" levels rather than "normal for a diabetic" levels.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    200 or 11.11mmol/l (UK measurements) is far too high. In the UK we are advised never to go above 7 (126 US) after a meal. I have never reached those levels but if I do eat something high in carbs then the tingling starts in my little fingers so I know. I then down loads of water and do some HIIT to bring it down. As soon as I am back into 'safe' levels the tingling stops.

I would try to keep your levels as low as possible, certainly under 130-140 as much as you can. The neuropathy symptoms are telling us if we keep higher levels they are ready to pounce and cause us serious problems.

Diabetes is hard, and so unfair, I wish you tons of luck keeping this under control. :-)
  • tlangenfeld
    Options
    Diabetic neuropathy has nothing to do with controlled or uncontrolled BGs. According to my Doctor it can happen at anytime it is part of being a diabetic. It is not something that comes and goes depending on BGs it does not go away at all once you have it you have it. My BGs have been running at a good level and i got it. I thought it was because i had gotten sick and my BGs got high but according to my Doctor that is not why i got it. It has to do with the Brain and the signals that are sent to our nerve.

always remember this which is on the bottom of MFP:
    "Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. "

this is for those who think thier advice is Better then the DOCTORS or NUTRIONIST
    all advice and concerns will be taken into consideration but maybe not all followed
  • Darlekins
    Options
    Well, in the words of Dr Phil, "How's that working for ya?"

Doctors tend to be quite pessemistic because in their experience, 80% of diabetics want a medicine prescribed and want the medication to do it all with no changes to lifestyle. Another 15% are willing to make small concessions to changing their diet and exercise. 5% are willing to do whatever it takes - medication, diet, exercise in whatever combination - to bring their blood glucose down to the levels of a "normal, healthy" person. The unwillingness of a diabetic to change is the greatest factor in whether or not diabetes progresses to the point of complications.

If you were to do more research on diabetic forums such as diabetesforum.com or diabetes.org or the website that has been suggested several times (bloodsugar101.com), you would find many diabetics who belong in that 5%. Have you ever heard of Richard Bernstein? He's a Type 1 diabetic endocrinologist who's now in his 70's with no neuropathy who advocates tight control for himself and his patients (http://www.diabetes-book.com/) Those diabetics who maintain tight control have either greatly reduced neuropathy symptoms or have thus far managed to stave off neuropathy.

Good luck to you.
  • tlangenfeld
    Options
    @ Darlekins,

considering the fact that you DON'T know me or the changes I have made with the help of my DOCTOR and NUTRITIONIST. OR and part of my life your judgement towards me does not bother me.
    Until someone presents themselves as a DOCTOR and NUTRITIONIST thier advice is taken with a grain of salt. I have read all articles I can find and find the website for Diabetes assosiactions of amerca a great help with wonderful recipes that I both enjoy cooking and eating.
    In MY experience Doctors treat each patient differently as we are all unique and one thing that works well for one does not work for another. some strive to beat T2 and others just to survive it. I for one want to beat it.
    \
    So with that said diss the DOCTOR and NUTRITIONIST all you want. One thing I know without my DOCTOR and NUTRITIONIST i would probly be worse off then i am in fact with thier help I have come along ways. Lost 50 lbs before joining and have brought my A1C from 10.7 when i first was told I have T2 to last august A1c to 7.0 with only taking Metformin time release and changing my diet my BGs continue to go down
  • Darlekins
    Options
    No disrespect to doctors at all. I LOVE my general physician and endocrinologist and have the utmost respect for their opinions. They were the ones who told me that diabetes did not have to be a progressive disease and I was happy to see that opinion backed up when i researched using the sites I listed. I do have issues with nutritionists and CDE's because their advice flew in the face of said physician and endocrinologist who had advocated reducing the blood glucose levels to "normal".
  • Defren
    Options
    Diabetic neuropathy has nothing to do with controlled or uncontrolled BGs. According to my Doctor it can happen at anytime it is part of being a diabetic. It is not something that comes and goes depending on BGs it does not go away at all once you have it you have it. My BGs have been running at a good level and i got it. I thought it was because i had gotten sick and my BGs got high but according to my Doctor that is not why i got it. It has to do with the Brain and the signals that are sent to our nerve.

always remember this which is on the bottom of MFP:
    "Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. "

this is for those who think thier advice is Better then the DOCTORS or NUTRIONIST
    all advice and concerns will be taken into consideration but maybe not all followed

You're quite right we are not Doctors or trained in medicine. Some of us have a lot of experience with diabetes either personally or through communities. However, my post seems to have ticked you off which is fine, I will back away.

Good luck.
  • tlangenfeld
    Options
    [/quote]

You're quite right we are not Doctors or trained in medicine. Some of us have a lot of experience with diabetes either personally or through communities. However, my post seems to have ticked you off which is fine, I will back away.

Good luck.
    [/quote]

I was not speaking of your post. you never said anything about docs being wrong but offered advice that worked for you. don't see nothing wrong with that. as we all know that what works for one may not work for another but is worth a try
  • Defren
    Options

Good luck.

I was not speaking of your post. you never said anything about docs being wrong but offered advice that worked for you. don't see nothing wrong with that. as we all know that what works for one may not work for another but is worth a try

Oops sorry. :flowerforyou:
  • Darlekins
    Options

Until someone presents themselves as a DOCTOR and NUTRITIONIST thier advice is taken with a grain of salt. I have read all articles I can find and find the website for Diabetes assosiactions of amerca a great help with wonderful recipes that I both enjoy cooking and eating.

While I've gleaned some very helpful information from the ADA website (especially the forums!), as well as d-Life, I also think many of the recipes aimed at diabetics contain far too many carbs for someone who is eating to their meter.

As far as the rest, I stand behind the statement that a doctor who stated that a high post-meal number is OK as long as it doesn't go above 200 is just plain wrong. The OP's doctor's knowledge is clearly out-of-date. I wouldn't tolerate it any more than i would tolerate an OB/G who advised me that a pregnancy wouldn't be affected by a smoking or drinking habit, as that advice, even coming from a DOCTOR, is coming from a doctor who hasn't kept up with the research in his field.

Diabetics are now diagnosed at MUCH lower numbers than they used to be. The lowered standards are because research has shown that early diagnosis increased control and that tight control reduces the very complication you are now dealing with. It's vitally important that a diabetic's medical advice is coming from someone who keeps up with the latest research in the field.
  • tlangenfeld
    Options

Good luck.

Oops sorry. :flowerforyou:

It is ok Defren :flowerforyou:
  • tlangenfeld
    Options

While I've gleaned some very helpful information from the ADA website (especially the forums!), as well as d-Life, I also think many of the recipes aimed at diabetics contain far too many carbs for someone who is eating to their meter.

As far as the rest, I stand behind the statement that a doctor who stated that a high post-meal number is OK as long as it doesn't go above 200 is just plain wrong. The OP's doctor's knowledge is clearly out-of-date. I wouldn't tolerate it any more than i would tolerate an OB/G who advised me that a pregnancy wouldn't be affected by a smoking or drinking habit, as that advice, even coming from a DOCTOR, is coming from a doctor who hasn't kept up with the research in his field.

Diabetics are now diagnosed at MUCH lower numbers than they used to be. The lowered standards are because research has shown that early diagnosis increased control and that tight control reduces the very complication you are now dealing with. It's vitally important that a diabetic's medical advice is coming from someone who keeps up with the latest research in the field.

Darlekins

after reading your statemnet on doctors saying that smoking and drinking won't affect a pregnancy,?? Makes me ask where on earth are you from. I have never heard such advise from a doctor. When I had my babies docs advised againest both, My daughter and a few friends are now pregnant and the advice againest both still stand. Drinking can cause fetal alcohol syndrom in babies and smoking can cause low birth weight and other compications is caused from both..

as far as doctors diagnosing diabetes at a much higher level. Well diabetes runs in my family and if i had been good and gone to the doctors like your suppose to once a year might of caught mine sooner. not blaming me not going in to docs on them. my family has a history of diabetes and it can run in families.
    think if people want to give advise like doctors that they should go to medical school like doctors do.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

QFT! While doctors, nurse practioners, dieticians, CDEs and nutritionists CAN be a great source of information and advice, if they haven't kept up with research then their advice is certainly suspect. The first CDE (certified diabetes educator - someone you would think would be in the know!) I saw advised me to eat oatmeal and a banana for breakfast. Because I had already done some research at bloodsugar101.com, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that this breakfast was absolutely not a wise idea for me. When I mentioned that my blood glucose before that breakfast was 96 and 45 minutes after that breakfast, I was at 202, the CDE told me I should never test at peak and that those numbers would only "scare me silly". SERIOUSLY?! I walked out and reported my experience to my endo, who was horrified. I occasionally wonder how many fellow diabetics took her advice and are now suffering from neuropathy, retinopathy or other complications.
  • Darlekins
    Options

Darlekins

after reading your statemnet on doctors saying that smoking and drinking won't affect a pregnancy,?? Makes me ask where on earth are you from. I have never heard such advise from a doctor. When I had my babies docs advised againest both, My daughter and a few friends are now pregnant and the advice againest both still stand. Drinking can cause fetal alcohol syndrom in babies and smoking can cause low birth weight and other compications is caused from both..

I don't know a single OB/GYN who wouldn't advise a pregnant woman to refrain from drinking and smoking. I'd run screaming from one. However, in the not so distant past, many had no problem with it. It was an example (hyperbole to be sure) of a doctor who didn't keep up with research. Doctors who keep up with research in that field would certainly know that drinking can cause Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and that smoking can cause low birth weight, premature birth, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and other complications from both.

My point was that a doctor who keeps up with research in the field of diabetes would know that post-priandial numbers approaching 200 can cause neuropathy & amputations, retinopathy & blindness, kidney disease, heart disease and a whole host of complications that are just as scary.

So, if you wouldn't go to an out-of-date OB/GYN for prenatal care, why would you go to an out-of-date PCP or endocrinologist for diabetes management???????
  • Defren
    Options

QFT! While doctors, nurse practioners, dieticians, CDEs and nutritionists CAN be a great source of information and advice, if they haven't kept up with research then their advice is certainly suspect. The first CDE (certified diabetes educator - someone you would think would be in the know!) I saw advised me to eat oatmeal and a banana for breakfast. Because I had already done some research at bloodsugar101.com, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that this breakfast was absolutely not a wise idea for me. When I mentioned that my blood glucose before that breakfast was 96 and 45 minutes after that breakfast, I was at 202, the CDE told me I should never test at peak and that those numbers would only "scare me silly". SERIOUSLY?! I walked out and reported my experience to my endo, who was horrified. I occasionally wonder how many fellow diabetics took her advice and are now suffering from neuropathy, retinopathy or other complications.

Sadly this is 100% true, I wish it wasn't but it is.