Newbie:) Any meters that sync with iphone apps?

Options
betthouston
betthouston Posts: 31 Member
Hi all-

I'm new here and need a little advice. I've spent hours over the past couple of days reading all the boards and posts and am very grateful for all the knowledge and support that is shared here!

I haven't been diagnosed with pre-diabetes or diabetes II, but it runs in my family and some recent symptoms scared me. My sister is diabetic. I drank some Mimosas on Mother's day at her place and felt weird, so she randomly did a glucose level test on me and it was 172. Shock! After we ate later, she tested me again (one hour post meal) and the reading was 110.

I'd had some other symptoms that were making me feel bad, and have always carried too much weight. SO- I am making all the "as if" changes, trying to be proactive because I do not want to let this get the better of me.

I am using MFP and ordered a FitBit One which will be here soon. I am considering buying a FitBit Aria scale as well.

What I need help with is finding out how to easily and efficiently track and record my blood glucose level readings, hopefully in concert with the apps I'm already using.

I need to buy an affordable glucose meter system- strips cost is most important because I have no health insurance so all costs are on me. I was hoping to buy one that I could use to automatically sync up my readings, but it looks like that isn't possible? (I know you can manually enter the numbers intoFitBit after reading some posts here.)

I found the Glucose Buddy App which looked good, but that is separate from MFP and FitBit.

I also found Glook which offers a cable for $40, but I still don't understand enough about all of this to feel like I'm ready to know what to buy.

Is running three apps just what I'll need to do? I want everything accurately tracked and recorded but don't want to do it the hard way!

Is anyone here techie enough to help me sort this all out so I don't waste my time on the wrong things?

I appreciate the help :)

Replies

• nvstlrgrl
    nvstlrgrl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I too have been trying to find a good app for recording my BG. I also have a FitBit one. After starting to record my sugars in their website I discovered you have to pay their membership fee if you want to record more than 3 readings a day. I am not one to pay for something like that. So I am still researching. I have come across a few apps/websites but they only allow 3 entries per day. If that is all you plan on testing then I would say stick with the one on FitBit. However I test 5-8 times a day and need more. For now I just keep recording in my log book. Also you can add the info into the notes section on the food page in MFP. I have seen lots of people do that. I prefer to look at a chart/graph as to what is going on.

As far as meters and test strips go Walgreen's has very reasonable price on their machine & strips. It works well. I personally use a OneTouch and believe me the strips are quite expensive. I would suggest going to a pharmacy and comparing the prices just to see what may fit into your budget. Lots of places also have discount cards for the strips in case you don't have insurance. Just ask at the pharmacy counter. Remember the big question on cost and effectiveness is how often you plan on or would like to test.

I wish you luck and if you find a good app out there let me know. Thanks :smile:
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I can't help with strips as I am in the UK.

Your BG reading when you felt unwell was very high, I think you are very sensible to be pro-active. I wish you all the very best.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I've seen around the threads somewhere that the Walmart meters are fairly reliable, and that's the one I use. When I first got mine, I was absolutely shocked at the price difference between the meter (long-term purchase) vs the strips (short-term purchase)! I had thought the strips would be the LEAST expensive part of the deal. But, after comparing prices, I settled on the ReliOn Walmart brand, because they seem to have the best price on strips for the long run. I typically get the 100 count boxes for around $36 plus tax, and that lasts me about 2 months, unless I'm tracking a new food, or double checking portion sizes. Then it lasts about a month. (I typically test 3 - 4 times per day, more if I'm chasing a potential problem.)
  • betthouston
    Options
    Thanks for your insight and support! I will post here if I gather more info (besides what gets posted here) about BG meter syncing/tracking options.

I'm not very techie but living in Silicon Valley I'm surprised that MFP and the other sites don't have a relationship with the meter manufacturers and/or app developers to accommodate our stats. It's looking like using Glooko for uploading the info through their cable or using Glucose Buddy and doing it manually is the only way to go.

There's a large market waiting to be tapped...any app developers listening? :-) FitBit should bump it up to include tracking/charting. I'd pay premium for THAT.

WalMart is one store I just cannot bring myself to shop at- but I know Target has good ratings on both reliability and price and their machine is only $15, strips seems to be cheap too. I guess I'll start there and then get one later that will work with FitBit and/or GLooko. I guess there are worse things than having to track my health concerns in three different apps. I am spoiled!

Thanks again :)
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I haven't been diagnosed with pre-diabetes or diabetes II, but it runs in my family and some recent symptoms scared me. My sister is diabetic. I drank some Mimosas on Mother's day at her place and felt weird, so she randomly did a glucose level test on me and it was 172. Shock! After we ate later, she tested me again (one hour post meal) and the reading was 110.

I have no idea about apps. I do use a ReliOn meter as suggested above as my back-up for additional testing because the strips are cheap.

I am wondering if there's a reason you aren't scheduling a check-up with a doctor after a random test result of 172?
  • betthouston
    Options
    I've seen around the threads somewhere that the Walmart meters are fairly reliable, and that's the one I use. When I first got mine, I was absolutely shocked at the price difference between the meter (long-term purchase) vs the strips (short-term purchase)! I had thought the strips would be the LEAST expensive part of the deal. But, after comparing prices, I settled on the ReliOn Walmart brand, because they seem to have the best price on strips for the long run. I typically get the 100 count boxes for around $36 plus tax, and that lasts me about 2 months, unless I'm tracking a new food, or double checking portion sizes. Then it lasts about a month. (I typically test 3 - 4 times per day, more if I'm chasing a potential problem.)

Since I'm not sure what I'm really dealing with here in my case, I was thinking to test in the AM upon arising, and then at one hour and at two hours after each meal for the first few weeks. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks again for the help everyone :)
  • betthouston
    Options
    I am wondering if there's a reason you aren't scheduling a check-up with a doctor after a random test result of 172?

Yes- the main reason is that I have no health insurance. I'm trying to avoid spending thousands of dollars and being put on pharmaceuticals and see if I can get myself back to balance.

I had had two mimosas at my sisters when I realized I felt sort of drunk and weird, so she suggested she check my level and that's when we realized I had spiked because of the sweet drinks. I have always noticed- even as a teenager- that juices and uber-sweet things usually made me feel bad immediately so I never drink undiluted juices for that reason.

I've had fasting blood glucose tests in the past because of my family history that were (surprisingly) fine. This was the first time i had an on the spot reading done.

I have been using NSAIDS (Aleve) for a long time for heel spur pain and inflammation. My liver enzymes had been a little elevated a few times over the past several years, but then evened out. None of my blood tests or other tests indicated I was off, and until I lost my insurance earlier this year, I had a physical every other year or so- complete blood work too. The last one was early 2012.

I strongly suspect my liver is involved in this because of my recent eating habits and the NSAIDS, and am doing a liver cleanse and cutting out most carbs and all sugars. It may be unusual that I am treating myself as though I have been diagnosed, without having being diagnosed by a medical professional- I figure it made the most sense at this point to follow a diabetic diet and lose 50lbs.

Am I missing something? Is there a worst case scenario that I might be inadvertently creating by doing this and/or I'm putting myself at high risk for? I felt like I was honoring my understanding of how the body worked and approaching this with responsibility and owning that the changes are the answer. However, i don't want to be stupid. :)
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's reasonable. You won't need a couple of weeks to make a determination. If two fasting readings are above 100 or if two post-prandial readings are above 140, you have a problem. There are those who will argue about the criteria for diagnosis or quibble about a difference between pre-diabetes (FBG above 100, PP above 140, A1c above 5.6) and diabetes (FBG above 126, PP above 199, A1c above 6.4) but prediabetes is like being a little bit pregnant.

If it turns out that your results after a few tests (again, you don't need a few weeks) do indicate a problem, I'd suggest a visit to the dr. If you're still reluctant, at least start eating to your meter.

Two links to help
    http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php This is the blood sugar 101 website - an invaluable resource for anyone facing diabetes

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/test-review-adjust.html Alan is a regular poster on forums at the ADA website
    (diabetes.org)

If you don't see a positive, consistent downward trend after following the diet suggestions on these two sites within a couple of weeks, I would then strongly suggest a dr. visit. I know it's rough without insurance, but the first-line medication is generally Metformin, which is quite inexpensive. Better to bring those sugar levels down into normal range as quickly as possible. With a family history, you know it's nothing to mess around with.
  • betthouston
    Options
    Perhaps it's reasonable. You won't need a couple of weeks to make a determination. If two fasting readings are above 100 or if two post-prandial readings are above 140, you have a problem. There are those who will argue about the criteria for diagnosis or quibble about a difference between pre-diabetes (FBG above 100, PP above 140, A1c above 5.6) and diabetes (FBG above 126, PP above 199, A1c above 6.4) but prediabetes is like being a little bit pregnant.

If it turns out that your results after a few tests (again, you don't need a few weeks) do indicate a problem, I'd suggest a visit to the dr. If you're still reluctant, at least start eating to your meter.

Two links to help
    http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php This is the blood sugar 101 website - an invaluable resource for anyone facing diabetes

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/test-review-adjust.html Alan is a regular poster on forums at the ADA website
    (diabetes.org)

If you don't see a positive, consistent downward trend after following the diet suggestions on these two sites within a couple of weeks, I would then strongly suggest a dr. visit. I know it's rough without insurance, but the first-line medication is generally Metformin, which is quite inexpensive. Better to bring those sugar levels down into normal range as quickly as possible. With a family history, you know it's nothing to mess around with.

Excellent advice. Thank you!
  • cjchristmas74
    Options
    I agree with everything that was stated here. However, I am in the same situation as you, no insurance. But I am on insulin and a sugar pill. My suggestion if you get high readings like they were talking about, find out if your town or one near you have a free clinic or one that has a sliding pay scale depending on your income. This way you can see a Dr. but not pay an arm and a leg for it.