Giving up soda...

Options
Tameda30
Tameda30 Posts: 11 Member
Hi,
I'm fairly new to the group. I'm a SAHM to a 21 month old daughter. One of my biggest struggles has been trying to give up soda (Mt. Dew is my addiction). My daughter still doesn't always sleep through the night and when I wake up the first thing I want is caffeine. I know I could switch to diet to help with the calories but I would rather just give it up altogether. Has anyone done this or does anyone have any pointers to beat those tired mornings without caffeine?
Thanks!!

Replies

• cindymcd
    cindymcd Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can switch to coffee instead of soda for that caffeine fix. I drink mine with sweetener and light cream so it's way less on cal but I still get my caffeine fix.
  • Tameda30
    Tameda30 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good tip, I might try that. Thanks!
  • bobbinseed
    bobbinseed Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it but cold turkey is the best way to stop drinkin' the dew! Replace it with water unless you absolutely can't drink water at that moment and then have tea or coffee. I use honey to sweeten tea and drink coffee black for no cal :)
  • daisyterp
    daisyterp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest coffee for the caffeine and get yourself a SodaStream and make your own fizzy water. I like fizzy water with just a splash of juice now, instead of soda.
  • donnieb4021
    Options
    I am brand new to this and the hardest thing i have found is giving up soda. It isn't the flavor i crave it's the carbonation, I feel horrible when i eat and drink water with the meal. Often times i will burp and food comes back up. When i drink something carbonated I never have this issue. It is almost like the carbonation helps with digestion. I used to love drinking clearly canadian but it has been discontinued for years. Any suggestions?
  • Mermaidyo
    Mermaidyo Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey method worked for me
    I drink water like it's going out of style. If you start to feel hungry drink. If you start to feel upset or sad drink more water. lol :)
  • ykimber
    ykimber Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cold Turkey works best. I stopped buying pop (I'm from the Midwest) when I went grocery shopping. We still have it from time to time (very rare) if we do takeout as a splurge. However, I've noticed that even then I won't drink much because I'm used to not having it.
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Stop cold turkey. You will probably have caffeinne withraws, you might get a migraine and upset stomach for a few days but be strong for the first week and then you'll body will adjust.

If you increase your fruit and veggie intake you might see more energy levels.
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am brand new to this and the hardest thing i have found is giving up soda. It isn't the flavor i crave it's the carbonation, I feel horrible when i eat and drink water with the meal. Often times i will burp and food comes back up. When i drink something carbonated I never have this issue. It is almost like the carbonation helps with digestion. I used to love drinking clearly canadian but it has been discontinued for years. Any suggestions?

Seltzer Water mixed with some juice (just a tad for flavor).
  • HeatherRyann
    HeatherRyann Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think cold turkey is best too. If you had to taper, then I guess diet and then water even if it is flavored. Just try and drink as much water as you can first. For those who like the carbonation I see lots of carbonated flavored waters that are 0 calories at the grocery story, Walmart, Walgreens etc. There are a few different brands. That might be an option. Also if you are just getting used to drinking water for me it helps to have ice in it and lemon. I try to make a pitcher every night with some kind of fruit in it..cucumbers and strawberries, blueberries, lemons and limes. I always change it but it does help and makes it a little more refreshing. Also those crystal light type flavor packets can help transition. I used to have one packet but in a bigger bottle then they recommend, like a 1 liter bottle so it just added some flavor and wasn't so strong. That would help me when I needed a little more water to reach my goal. I would always try and drink regular water first and then use the packet as kind of a reward to finish my water goal when I was just sick of regular water or craving a soda or juice.

Edit: Just remembered someone mentioned coffee. You can make iced coffee and put it in a pitcher in your fridge over night. In the morning poor it over ice with some milk or flavored creamer (like coffee-mate). It's really good.
  • kestie77
    kestie77 Posts: 39
    Options
    I was a hard core addict of Mountain Dew, but knew it was going to kill me if I kept drinking it. Here's my advice from worked for me:

Always have something else around. For me that was Iced Tea, since I hated coffee. I brought a pitcher to work every morning. Unsweetened with lemon juice added. I bought a iced tea maker to make it easier.

I also found a mineral water that I liked. Some mineral water is gross, so you may need to try a few flavors. La Croix Orange is my favorite. Mineral water gives you the needed carbonation.

For me cold turkey doesn't work. I allow myself one Mountain Dew a month. That way, I can still have it, but I have to feel like I really want it, otherwise it will be awhile before i can have another one. I was drinking 3 cans a day, so to go from 90 a month to 1 helps a lot.

Finally, if you really need caffeine, Excedrin has plenty. I don't recommend making it a daily habit, but if your little one had a bad night and you got no sleep, Excedrin has a lot fewer calories for you.
  • Terry903
    Terry903 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Give up the soda! I have bought soda for the house in about 4 years. My daughter is 14 and she was guzzling it. Very unhealthy. Think of it as sugar in a glass! It's also hard on your stomach. My friend introduced my to a product called 'Sparkling Ice'. It's fizzy comes in lots of flavors and it's 0 calories, but tastes good. It's at Costco and Fry's, probably elsewhere. I drink mostly tea, and sometimes coffee. Just watch the sweeteners. I switched from sugar to honey and I only allow a tsp. per cup. I put lemon in my ice tea and skip the sweetener. Good luck all!
  • tmink85
    tmink85 Posts: 5
    Options
    I also loved the Dew and I began drinking diet Dew. It helped me out to take the step down because after I switched to diet, regular was just too sweet. I eventually gave it up all together but also started a coffee habit. Gotta choose your battles I guess LOL
  • ANSL_Mom
    ANSL_Mom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am not a soda drinker but I recently gave up Starbucks. I was there almost every morning. I second the cold turkey suggestion. It took about 2 weeks to get over the withdrawl symptoms but now I feel so much better. My waisteline and my wallet are both in better shape.

I keep a bottle of water with me. It gives me something to do with my hands and it helped with the withdrawl headaches.
  • Terry903
    Terry903 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Check out Sparkling Ice too. It's 0 calories and it's flavored sparkling water. Yummy!
  • cdgirl
    cdgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Giving up soda was my New Year's Resolution.I too had a Mt Dew addiction (for about 36 yrs!).I didn't think I'd ever get off it but I did.I don't even miss it! I drink a lot of water now and if I crave flavor I drink a glass of unsweetened tea.I think you can do it too.It's only the first couple of days that are challenging due to the caffeine withdrawal.Once you get through that you are home free!
  • evey2005
    evey2005 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did the same. Don't buy it at the grocery store, but when we have pizza or are out to dinner, I may have one. And I rarely finish it also. It tastes like syrup now, so I am slowly but surely giving it up all together.
  • HazelsMama
    HazelsMama Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you're a long time dew drinker going cold turkey will give you side effects like headaches & such. I would suggest starting with ice. By adding ice cubes you'll start to get. Use to watered down pop & it will not only be easier to give up since watered down pop doesn't taste good. But also once you do it for awhile & use quite a bit of ice you'll be much leases likely to have caffeine withdrawal symptoms! You can do this!
  • Momma2Max
    Momma2Max Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow. We have a lot in common! My little guy is 23 months and rarely sleeps through the night. Today is the day I chose to kick MD. I decided I had to go all or nothing (not diet, no tapering). I do have some 5 hour energy at the ready and I bought some caffinated flavoring to add to my water should I start to get a head ache. I'm right there with you and we can do this.
  • jenndeirdre
    jenndeirdre Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I gave up pop January 5th 2010, but it was not a new years resolution lol. I was in college at the time so everybody helped in the class too. But I drank apple juice every time I wanted pop then cut back on the apple juice after a few weeks. I was drinking a ton of pepsi while I was pregnant in 2006/7 and afterwards, I grew up on diet though. Now just the thought of pop is disgusting to me. My son isn't allowed pop but I know he sometime gets it at other places which is bound to happen and my daughter will be the same way!