Starving!

Options
KimINfortheWin
KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
I have apparently been starving myself for years, maybe even decades.

Starting on MFP, I went with the 1200 calorie limit, like all illiterate dieters seems to do. And I really struggled to eat 1200 calories while also working hard to lower my carbs, sugar, processed foods, etc. It's almost a primal diet but not completely. End of the day I was logging my food and then seeing I had a 400 calorie deficit, and while not hungry, would eat just for the numbers sake.

So, this has brought me to the conclusion that the reason why none of the diets I have ever been on before has worked, was because I was eating too few calories. I did calculate my TDEE and the various calculators gave me 2186, 2403, 2510, 1962. I took the lowest number and -20%.

I feel like I am eating all day to get the 1200, the 1600 is scary! (although I had plenty for a really nice dinner and chocolate yesterday! O.o) I do think that I'm going to make some almond butter to help supplement as well.

Can anyone peek at my diary and goals and let me know if I am doing this right? Suggestions? I'm open for anything/everything.

Replies

• OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I was in your boat a couple of years ago and two months ago switched to TDEE-20% and have steadily lost on average under a 1lb a week. In two months I lost about 8 lbs (in addition the 8lbs I gained - they disappeared after 2 weeks). I eat 1944 cals. I set my TDEE to moderately active since I workout 3 - 4 days a week. I'm 5'7" and since May 3rd I weighed 194 (I weigh in monthly)

Were you inputting different activity levels to get the variances in TDEE readings? Also, did you measure yourself in order to get your correct body fat %? To me 1600 still seems to low. Remember you don't eat back your exercise calories when doing the TDEE-20%.

The reason why eating up to 1600+ seems like a chore is because of all those years of eating at a high deficit. It has ruined your metabolism. You currently have a very slow metabolism. This is how your body copes with the little calories you have been feeding it.

Now, let me warn you, when you first start eating more calories, you WILL GAIN! It happened to me the first two weeks. I gained about 8lbs!!! I was upset and discouraged, but I stuck with it and had my husband hide the scale. It took me almost a MONTH to adjust and start dropping weight again. I've learned that it can take anywhere from 4 - 6 weeks for people to adjust to the higher caloric intake if you've been at a high deficit for a long time. I was for a year and a half.

Also, made sure to take pictures of myself and measurements.

Now, how do you eat more? Fill your meals and snacks with healthy fats like avocados, nuts, peanut butter, olive oil. ELIMINATE SUGAR-FREE AND FAT-FREE. Eat the REAL stuff....in moderation of course!

Hope this helps!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    I am lightly active. But at this point I have not incorporated as much exercise as I would like to have. And so I started a habit where every time I run off to the bathroom, which with my new 80oz, is like every hour, I take 1-2 laps around work, which is right at 1/4 mile at a brisk pace.

My BMI is 43%. And BF is right there at 43-44% too. Taken with a special instrument.
    I did also take pictures, which I'll show once I really start losing, as well as measurements.
    I currently weigh myself every day, so while I'm going through this, I may very well hide the scale for a month too.

I never ate back my exercise calories anyway! lol, One of the side affects of a non-eater, I suppose.

SW: 236
    CW: 224 (EEK, cannot believe I'm giving this number on a public forum!!)
    GW: 175ish, depends more on how my body looks rather than the number.
    I'm short at 5'2" and have a lot of muscle underneath of the fat.
    (I'm in the black sweater: https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/424018_3076354480657_1376972606_n.jpg) to give an idea of body shape.

I've been keeping mini sweet bell peppers and strawberries and things like that. I am trying to completely eliminate all processed foods, and so the sugar-free/fat-free things are out anyway.

The calculator I used was from here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    Mifflin-St Jeor - 2186
    Harris-Benedict - 2403
    By activity level: 2510
    Katch-McCardle: 1962 - 20%
    If I averaged all four of those: 2265 - 20% = 1812 calories. So would that be a better number? lol, if I can work my way up to it.
    Before this, it would be nothing for it to be 4pm and I would have had only coffee to drink.

But what about my macros? Are those percentages good too? Just trying to do this the right and permanent way!
    I made my diary public, if you want to see how I have been eating for the last 5 wks.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    so are you saying you got to your starting weight (or current) by eating at a huge deficit - barely making 1200 cals daily?
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I am lightly active. But at this point I have not incorporated as much exercise as I would like to have. And so I started a habit where every time I run off to the bathroom, which with my new 80oz, is like every hour, I take 1-2 laps around work, which is right at 1/4 mile at a brisk pace.

My BMI is 43%. And BF is right there at 43-44% too. Taken with a special instrument.
    I did also take pictures, which I'll show once I really start losing, as well as measurements.
    I currently weigh myself every day, so while I'm going through this, I may very well hide the scale for a month too.

I never ate back my exercise calories anyway! lol, One of the side affects of a non-eater, I suppose.

(I'm in the black sweater: https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/424018_3076354480657_1376972606_n.jpg) to give an idea of body shape.

I've been keeping mini sweet bell peppers and strawberries and things like that. I am trying to completely eliminate all processed foods, and so the sugar-free/fat-free things are out anyway.

Mifflin-St Jeor - 2186
    Harris-Benedict - 2403
    If I averaged all four of those: 2265 - 20% = 1812 calories. So would that be a better number? lol, if I can work my way up to it.
    Before this, it would be nothing for it to be 4pm and I would have had only coffee to drink.

But what about my macros? Are those percentages good too? Just trying to do this the right and permanent way!
    I made my diary public, if you want to see how I have been eating for the last 5 wks.

Katch is suppose to be most accurate when you have your body fat %. I would go by that one. Go to this link http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ and select Katch and put your body fat % in. This can confirm.
  • kelny
    kelny Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Mifflin-St Jeor - 2186
    Harris-Benedict - 2403

Hi Kim, I would like to encourage you that you can loose weight by eating more, this has been my experience (I never dieted in my life - just gradually put on weight over 20 years in my adult life). When I set out I was a similar weight to you (230 I believe) and never set out to loose much weight mainly because I never thought I would. I just wanted to be more healthy and fit. This was about 3 years ago. I made little changes and started to exercise more - initially walking then joined a gym and started weight training. Throught this time I have consistently exercised about 3x a week and consistently eaten 1800-2500 cals a day. My goal weight too is 175 and now I am there (almost). I really have been really suprised that I have lost eating so much and am so much healthier. I believe that if you simply view this as a healthy eating and excersise plan for life then you can reach your goal. Patience is key and viewing this process as a healthy new way of life long term to benefit you and those who you love.
    It is likely you will put on weight initially but you can read the posts http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/633365-several-words-of-encouragement-to-all-of-you and http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/929551-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience for info (if you havent already)
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    Yes, and that's how I've always done it. Just judging by how I'm currently eating and the quantities, I would estimate that I've spent the last 20 years or so eating 900-1200 calories a day.
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    so are you saying you got to your starting weight (or current) by eating at a huge deficit - barely making 1200 cals daily?

Yes, and that's how I've always done it. Just judging by how I'm currently eating and the quantities, I would estimate that I've spent the last 20 years or so eating 900-1200 calories a day.
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options

Katch is suppose to be most accurate when you have your body fat %. I would go by that one. Go to this link http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ and select Katch and put your body fat % in. This can confirm.

I've been getting a ton of information off of the boards, and so Katch is the one that I am trying to use. It's ironic that I am eating so much to lose weight - but hey, I can handle that! lol
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options

Hi Kim, I would like to encourage you that you can loose weight by eating more, this has been my experience (I never dieted in my life - just gradually put on weight over 20 years in my adult life). When I set out I was a similar weight to you (230 I believe) and never set out to loose much weight mainly because I never thought I would. I just wanted to be more healthy and fit. This was about 3 years ago. I made little changes and started to exercise more - initially walking then joined a gym and started weight training. Throught this time I have consistently exercised about 3x a week and consistently eaten 1800-2500 cals a day. My goal weight too is 175 and now I am there (almost). I really have been really suprised that I have lost eating so much and am so much healthier. I believe that if you simply view this as a healthy eating and excersise plan for life then you can reach your goal. Patience is key and viewing this process as a healthy new way of life long term to benefit you and those who you love.
    It is likely you will put on weight initially but you can read the posts http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/633365-several-words-of-encouragement-to-all-of-you and http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/929551-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience for info (if you havent already)

I have been sedimentary for so long, that I am taking my exercise slow to get started. The getting my butt out of my chair at work and doing the brisk 1/2 mile lap every time I run to the restroom is a start, because it's keeping me moving off and on all day long.

My self body image is apparently much worse than how others view me, because when I tell them that the doctors want me to lose 100lbs, they get the :embarassed: face.

Back in 97, I was at my peak, at 175lbs. But I was also working UPS at night and working out in their gym nightly. I was bench pressing 120lbs and leg pressing 460lb and doing 220 crunches on a slantbar. I'd love to start doing that again, maybe get into heavy lifting. But I need to show my husband I'm serious first before he's willing to let me go to a gym. (FUN STUFF)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

I've been getting a ton of information off of the boards, and so Katch is the one that I am trying to use. It's ironic that I am eating so much to lose weight - but hey, I can handle that! lol

Just encourage you to update that bodyfat stat about every 2 weeks, as inches may be lost first, and that may change the value.

You'll also want to confirm since using the Katch BMR that you have a 5% reliable method of BF%.

And if doing that much walking now, are you using the same TDEE level, since it sounds like it just went up?
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    I'm working out in short 15 minute bursts throughout the day. I still call that lightly active. I don't even break a sweat, although my calves complain.

But yes, I will keep an eye on the TDEE and BMR every 5-10 lbs.

Thanks for everyone's help!
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    Okay, so is this weird?

Since I've upped my calorie intake to 1600-1700 calories, I am hungry now!

For example, I would drive to work, drink my coffee and then eventually around 10am I'd be hungry.
    Now, by the time I get to work at 8am, I'm hungry!

Same with lunch...by 11:00am I'm hungry, whereas before it would be 2-3 pm before I would be.

What is up with that?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Okay, so is this weird?

Since I've upped my calorie intake to 1600-1700 calories, I am hungry now!

For example, I would drive to work, drink my coffee and then eventually around 10am I'd be hungry.
    Now, by the time I get to work at 8am, I'm hungry!

Same with lunch...by 11:00am I'm hungry, whereas before it would be 2-3 pm before I would be.

What is up with that?

Your hormones are straightening out, you aren't suppressing the hunger response, and metabolism should we increasing along with it.

Not weird at all, vast majority report seeing that happen.
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    I am definitely seeing the need to bring more food to work so I don't raid the vending machine.

It's so strange! (Which I guess shows how dead my metabolism was?)
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options

Sorry, I didn't see this to respond to.

Up until last week, I had lost the 13lbs with the 900-1200 calorie diet. But, I have never been one to eat much at all, which is why I think that I've regularly eaten under the 1200calories for the last ___ years. And when I would eat, I'd fill it with junk and fast food.