Still need to lose weight while lifting

Options
wbfd22
wbfd22 Posts: 65 Member
Since I'm new to the program I have some questions for the veteran's out there. Since reading all the posts about lifting and seeing amazing results, I decided to stop my cardio routine and ordered NROF4W. I have finished 2 workouts (I will do 3 weekly) and I also play baseball, soccer and hockey each once a week.

My question is about losing weight. I know my body with lose inches and start to get leaner, but at my height, I still weigh too much. I want to get my BMI lower. I am 5'4 (and 3/4)". I started on MFP at 160 and am down to 153. I have claculated my BMR at 1606 and my TDEE at 2209 (-20% at 1767). I have my calories on MFP set at 1500 daily and my macros at 40/30/30. I usually eat back some of my calories, but not all. So will I still be able to lose weight while lifting and doing my sports? Should I adjust my calories?

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I think the general consensus is that as long as you eat at a deficient you'll still lose weight.
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Based on your calculations you could probably up you calories from 1500 to somewhere above your BMR and still lose weight. Just make sure the cals are good whole foods.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    On paper it looks like you could eat more than 1500/day. The only way to know for sure is to actually try eating a bit more and see what happens. The calculators seem to work well for a lot of people, but they don't work so well for others, for a variety of reasons. Just try eating a little more, maybe +100 calories at first, and see what happens. You could up your calories again if you're still able to lose (which I'm guessing you will be able to).
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm glad someone has asked this! I'm just starting NR today but still have about 40 lbs to lose. I don't want glorious abs hiding under rolls of fat! I keep reading that you can't lose weight when building muscle? Maybe I'm just reading the wrong threads?

I'm in this for the long haul but also have a mini deadline in July when I go on my first beach holiday in years (to the Greek Islands) I know the weight doesn't matter (and have even ditched my scales today in honour of my new mindset) but what I'd like reassurance on is that my body will look better/ smaller after two months of NR than it would have after two months of 30DS??

Is anyone else two months in? What are your results like? (Sorry to hijack op's thread!)
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I started Stage 2 on Wednesday. My diet is pretty awful, but I have managed to lose a couple of pounds. Mostly though, I have lost inches and have started to see a lot more definition in my legs. I will take measurements when Aunt Flo hits the road.

I'm curious to see what other responses will be. I too, don't want awesome abs hiding under my spare Michelens and Goodyears!!
  • eatrunstretch
    eatrunstretch Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I started Stage 2 on Wednesday. My diet is pretty awful, but I have managed to lose a couple of pounds. Mostly though, I have lost inches and have started to see a lot more definition in my legs. I will take measurements when Aunt Flo hits the road.

I'm curious to see what other responses will be. I too, don't want awesome abs hiding under my spare Michelens and Goodyears!!

:laugh: FireRox21 you sure made me laugh!

I just wrapped up NR S1B4 today. When I started, I had decided to eat at TDEE for stage 1. I put on a few pounds and my trousers are feeling tighter. This week I decided to go to TDEE - 20% and the scale is back to what it was when I started. I'm not saying that this will happen to you but I think you have to experiment to see what will work for you. Also, if you've been eating on a really low calorie budget as set by MFP and then you switch it up to TDEE, its going to take your body some time to adjust. Just give whatever you pick some time and then reassess and adjust. I too was eating at 1400 cals for a long time :blushing: but I don't believe I can get the body I want and the muscle definition I want without eating more. Also, I plateaued for a long time at 1400 cals. I only have 15lbs more to lose so its getting harder to get where I want to get to.

Good luck!