Increased Meds=Increased appetite?

Options
Leeann1979
Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
Hello. I saw my doctor 2 weeks ago. She increased my dose of Synthroid from 100mcg to 125mcg. Ever since then, I have been a lot hungrier. Im finding it hard to be satisfied lately and its kinda irritating. And I don't starve myself, I eat. I love eating.

I am just wondering if anyone else experienced this? Or is this just coincidence.

P.S.- I really don't want to sound snotty, but Im not looking for a diagnosis of any kind, just peoples personal experience. Last time I posted something about Hashimoto's I Had so many replies telling me to go to see my doctor and not ask for help on here when I was just asking about experiences similar to mine. Im just making small talk.

Thanks!

Replies

• KathleenSweetie
    KathleenSweetie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi Leeann, I take 100 mg of levothyroxine each day. I started taking hydrocortisone just months before the levo. I didn't find my desire for more food increased, just my cravings (for sugar and bread). I eventually felt more balanced (after several weeks) by taking the combo. I now experience more satisfaction in when I eat. I don't handle salty foods well at all since being on these meds. I did up my protein (like yogurt, nuts) and water intake a lot and that helped. These tips may have also helped me handle my cravings because of my age, maybe? I started to drop weight (mostly water wt) when I first started the levo, maybe cause I felt more balanced and the hormone upped my body's energy burning capability. Hope this helps :)
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helped me with the increased appetite was to make sure I was front loading my protein during the day. When I was eating more of my protein in the afternoon and evening, I would snack a lot more during the day and honestly feel hungry. Now that I try to get 80%+ of my protein in before I leave work for the day, I find I'm not nearly as hungry. I spend my calories during the day on high protein foods and that keeps me from grazing as I get "full" each time I eat.
    I found these little "protein to go smoothies" that help out too. If my lunch isn't protein packed, or I'm going to be out and about, I drink one (28g protein, 128 calories) to get it in. I get satisfied a lot faster this way.
  • KathleenSweetie
    Options
    The only thing that helped me with the increased appetite was to make sure I was front loading my protein during the day. When I was eating more of my protein in the afternoon and evening, I would snack a lot more during the day and honestly feel hungry. Now that I try to get 80%+ of my protein in before I leave work for the day, I find I'm not nearly as hungry. I spend my calories during the day on high protein foods and that keeps me from grazing as I get "full" each time I eat.
    I found these little "protein to go smoothies" that help out too. If my lunch isn't protein packed, or I'm going to be out and about, I drink one (28g protein, 128 calories) to get it in. I get satisfied a lot faster this way.
    Kcritter, sounds like good advise. Do you take levothyroxine as well? Just as a personal note, I have a problem with the "protein to go smoothies" as they tend to have a lot of corn syrup and that upsets my stomach with this med.
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I take synthroid and cytomel. I'm good with sugars... I can't do gluten.
  • KathleenSweetie
    Options
    Interesting - thanks for answering my questions. :flowerforyou: