Rest Days

Options
I'm just starting C25K on Monday. I was just wondering, what do you do on your days off? Do you actually do nothing or do you do some light cardio or some weight training or something?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Monday - Yoga/Pilates
    Tuesday - Run
    Wednesday - New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Thursday - Run
    Friday - NRoL4W
    Saturday - Rest
    Sunday - Run
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    When I was doing C25K I did P90X strength routines on Mon/Wed/Fri and ran Tue/Thu/Sun. Now that I'm done with C25K I am running on Saturdays too. No rest day in my schedule now so we'll see how that works out.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Walks, swimming, soccer, or Jillian's 30 day shred. I probably take one "real" rest day per week, but I enjoy eating too much to do it more than that. And yes, I eat back all my exercise calories:), thus I exercise on my rest days - lol.
  • so_many_ideas
    Options
    Wednesday - New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Thursday - Run
    Friday - NRoL4W

What is New Rules of Lifting for Women? I've heard some things about it, but really have no idea :P I've been thinking about maybe doing some weight training when I get a little further along in my running.
  • wiseeliz
    wiseeliz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I run MWF and do group exercise classes (Zumba, cardio kickboxing, etc.) on TThSa. Sunday is my rest day. I do some light strength work (using the seated machines at my gym) 3 days per week also. Though since I am about to move, start a new job and start graduate school (i.e. I will no longer have all the time in the world to exercise), that's probably going to change. I anticipate cutting down my dedicated exercise to 4 days per week and trying to sneak in some extra movement on the off days. But we'll see.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women is a strength training book targeted toward getting women to lift heavy using full body movements. I'm on Day Three: I do 5 different moves and I'm in and out of the gym in 30 minutes having worked every muscle group. It's really powerful and I'm getting stronger quickly.

Stronglifts 5X5 is another program with the same philosophical foundation and results.

The book "Anatomy for Runners" outlines why programs like these are important for you to make endurance and speed gains as a runner.

That being said, I disregarded much of New Rules of Lifting. He makes a big deal about the timing of meals, which has never been shown to have a substantial effect on weight loss and he actually says that people weren't designed to run for more than 5 minutes at a time, so we should just do cardio intervals. Cardio intervals are great. However, good science shows that people are, in face, designed to run marathons. This is supported by the fact that we do run them. For fun.

The routines are golden, however. And that's what I mined the book for.
  • drink_me
    drink_me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I normally do the Jillian micheals 30 day shred on my non run days... But I usually rest once a week, not on a set day though, it just depends on how I'm feeling and what's going on for the day.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to start my 4th week of Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. That's 6 days per week, although I usually sub my running for her cardio if they fall on the same day, as I can't run so well in the evening after Jillian has tormented my muscles in the morning! I always take Sunday as my rest day - walking the dog, bike rides with the kids, but no tracked "exercise".

Thinking about breaking up with Jillian for Chalean Extreme though. Her plyo is killing my knees and I don't want it to affect my ability to run!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I just read Anatomy for Runners, which recommended plyo to improve quick twitch muscles (running speed)
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I just read Anatomy for Runners, which recommended plyo to improve quick twitch muscles (running speed)

No doubt plyo is good for most things, but I constantly battle a really sore right knee (even with a compression sleeve) and the left knee is not much better. If I do my morning Jillian with plyo, my knees will hurt too much in the evening to run. And given the two, I would rather run, and slowly, than not at all.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Fair enough. I'm no expert, I just read a lot.
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    M: Chalean Extreme
    T: Run
    W: Chalean Extreme
    T: Run
    F: Chalean Extreme
    S: Rest (yoga)
    S: Run

Although I'm only the second week into this schedule, I'm loving combining running with weight lifting.
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I finished C25k in December. I am doing 5k to 10k now. I usually run 2 days a week, not the three days in the plan.
    Typical week:
    Monday - run
    Tuesday - weights (Will be starting with a personal trainer weekly this coming Tuesday)
    Wedneday - yoga
    TH - weights
    Friday - Zumba
    Saturday - run
    Sunday off