Almond Milk

Options
bikermike5094
bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
I usually drink just a protien drink in the morning for breakfast using 2% milk. Decided to try almond milk to get rid of the carbs.. man.. what took me so long to jump on that band wagon? Good stuff...

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I wish my local grocery stores had a better selection. I use Silk Unflavored Almond Milk, but understand it has some preservatives that I'd rather not have. Since we don't have a whole foods (or competitor) within 100 miles, I'll have to make due.
  • AshleyPaleo
    AshleyPaleo Posts: 121
    Options
    You guys are lucky. I can't even look at milk or anything that tries to be milk. I have had almond/soy/coconut. Also any protein shake with a milk base or that is flavored to taste like milk OMG I WILL BARF. I also have a hard time watching someone else drink milk lol.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    most almond/hemp/soy/ etc have additives and one of the bad ones is carrageenan..it's an algae and there is a belief that anyone with digestive issues can further damage themselves.It's used a thickener.Most milks with have this and if they don't they are usually sweetened as the algae works to thicken then thin milks.
    It's very easy to make your own if you have the time.
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/03/20/almond_milk_recipe_make_your_own_almond_milk_at_home.html

Here is one of a ton of recipes for homemade almond milk. You know exactly what's going in it.
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk in my protein shakes (when I have them) and in my coffee everyday. But you're right, the Silk preservative kills me. I just checked out that homemade version and it looks great! only thing is that I would have to make it 2-3 times a week since it says it only keeps in the fridge for 3 days :(

Any other more paleo friendly, affordable, and stable options? ha, I think I am asking a lot here.
  • jenfitz
    jenfitz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Whole foods unsweetened Almond milk but one of my trainers told me about the thickener issue- she recommended Flax milk. Anyone tried it? I might do so on my next trip to the store.... I'll let you know how it tastes!
  • jbonow1231
    jbonow1231 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I drink flax milk in my protein shakes and use it to mix in with my chia cereal. I think its pretty tasty myself.

Drinking it just by itself can be kind of rough, but for use in other things, its pretty good.
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I use coconut milk in my coffee. The canned kind not from the carton.
  • Thyme4change
    Thyme4change Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just posted a 'question' and maybe I just found a little insight here...I hv been making smoothies almost every morning and hv not lost much of anything, plus I hv been gassy :( I knew there was something in my smoothie. I changed from coconut milk to almond. I changed my pro pwdr to vegan pro powder/Vega Preformance. I even started to use fresh greens instead of chocolate amazing grass...just four days a go I stopped my wonderful smoothies and have a sm snack of let's say fruit &cheese, then a full breakfast after workout of eggs, greens and berries.

I thank you for this post topic and all the responses..it only goes to show me that even what we think is better still isn't the best..
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    love it!!!
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    i tried to make a glass of chocolate milk the other night in a moment of weakness using almond milk... dont recommend that. its jsut not the same... maybe with sweentened almond it would be better but I use unsweetened.