how to calculate C25K calories?

Bettyeditor
Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
I'm new to the C25K program and I am struggling to figure out how to calculate my calories when I do a C25K workout. I am ordering a HRM, but in the meantime I still need to figure out my burn. I wish that the app would give me a calculation of my burn. :(

Maybe I am using the wrong app? I'm also really confused about which app to use. When I searched for "C25K" in my iPhone App Store a LOT of choices came back. I installed two of them but neither one gives me calorie burns. Is there a calculator online anywhere that would take inputs for my age/height/weight and how many minutes of walking/running etc. and give me a burn amount so that I can log it in MFP?

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Replies

• jadeblack81
    jadeblack81 Posts: 27 Member
    I might have made things harder on myself, but I just added up the total running time and the total walking time and entered it that way. I know it's not 100% accurate, but it was a start.

I really want a heart rate monitor!
  • Bettyeditor
    I might have made things harder on myself, but I just added up the total running time and the total walking time and entered it that way. I know it's not 100% accurate, but it was a start.

I really want a heart rate monitor!

I guess I could do that. Maybe calculate both separately and then add them together and enter it. Do you recommend an online calculator to figure out the burn for walking/running?
  • drink_me
    drink_me Posts: 46 Member
    I have an iPhone also and I just downloaded a pedometer and run that at the same time as the c25k... I'm sure it's not super accurate but I think it's close enough
  • lastczechmate
    lastczechmate Posts: 7 Member
    Betty, I just use my fitbit! It knows that they are bigger "activity points" sessions than the usual half hour. I figure that I will use my HRM data once I spend more than half the time running...
  • jadeblack81
    jadeblack81 Posts: 27 Member
    I should have added that I also run a second (GPS) app in the background...Runtastic. It gives you distance, average speed, etc. There's quite a few free apps out there that are like it, and it's handy if you throw in a little extra with your sessions.

Like the other day, I ran a total of 30 minutes and walked 10-I enter it in my MFP diary and get my calories burned that way.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Editing because I oops'd... realize the app I use doesn't have all the starts and stops you're looking for. Good luck finding one!
  • Bettyeditor
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. So many people do the C25K program, that I guess I assumed there was a slick app or spreadsheet or something out there that would give calories. And actually someone on another C25K thread mentioned that their C25K app gave them calories... so I have been tormented ever since trying to find that app! (The person never responded when I asked them about it).
  • carolinesparkle
    carolinesparkle Posts: 60 Member
    I use my fitbit and also runtastic, this morning they were both almost exactly the same! I checked my fitbit before I started and also when I ended. Am going with the assumption that they must be somewhat near to accurate.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    If you don't have something to calculate calories, you can do the 100 calories per mile. It is actually fairly accurate, and if anything will be slightly under the true burn.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I just used the average time/mile for the whole session (walks + runs) and used the MFP numbers. It was close enough.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Until I get an HRM I'm using MFP numbers for brisk walk X minutes walked and 5mph run x minutes run - it's not ideal and at the moment I'm not sure how fast I'm actually running (I'll track my route sometime and get a better estimate but at the moment I've gone for the slowest run speed) but it's near enough to give me an estimate.
  • babybl00310
    babybl00310 Posts: 75 Member
    I use Rundouble's C25k app (not sure if this is android only) and the calories it states are always close to what my HRM monitor states.
  • khoff170
    khoff170 Posts: 19
    My C25k (Android) breaks down the running and walking - for instance just calculated 1.5 miles in 15 minutes on week 3 day 1 when I went 3 miles in 45 minutes total - but at the bottom it gave me a total and I added them together and plugged them in.

Anyway - I've synced my Endomondo to MFP on my Android phone and it will (supposedly) autoload my exercise to my profile. The good thing about Endomondo is you can use it for many different sports - not just running.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I use Endomondo for regular runs but feels like it overstates calorie burn, so I turned off the autoload feature. I like that you can program intervals into it.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    The app I use is "East into 5k" and it does give calories burned, although they are usually slightly higher than what my HRM states. So you could try that and just estimate maybe 20-30 calories less? I dunno, I burn calories on the low side anyhow, so perhaps others find its calorie burn (the app) more accurate.