hills... how often?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Noob question: what would be considered a 'big hill'?

I've been running for about 4 months, but everything on the treadmill thus far.

With the weather finally turned I figured I would start running outside. Visiting my parents for the holidays and there is a 10km route that I mapped out.

view_route_elevation?get_profile=d088d37e56345c47bb39d6264fb4c22b&consumer_key=b513571b80685c74fa95b7755d916c24048889df4

I used to rip this route on a mountain bike in my younger days, no idea what'd be like to run it.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I do them whenever they come my way while running. I run wherever I go and at times this involve hilly paths. Never avoid nor look for them :-). My recovery rate is pretty quick so as soon as I touch flat again, my heart rate goes back to a normal run after about 10 seconds.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Ignore my post above, i went ahead and made a MMR account and it looks like my route is a piece of pie

Climb Information
    Climb Start End Length Start Elev End Elev Avg Grade
    Cat 5 1.01 km 2.18 km 1.17 km 198 m 243 m 3.8%
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hills everyday. Literally. I like running hilly courses even for easy runs. But dynamic speed days, I hit hills at race pace! Happy Running!

You're crazy buddy ;)
  • MarshmallowLegs
    MarshmallowLegs Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    What incline on a treadmill do you think is good for simulating hills? I am training for the seattle marathon and im expecting lots of hills... I can only run on pavement once a week due to my schedule.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    What incline on a treadmill do you think is good for simulating hills? I am training for the seattle marathon and im expecting lots of hills... I can only run on pavement once a week due to my schedule.

Well, anything greater than zero is technically considered a hill. :smile:

If you want to simulate the race course, check out the elevation profile for the race and adjust your treadmill accordingly.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    For you flat-landers, a friend of mine use to go run a parking garage to get hill work in. Whenever I feel bad for myself as I'm running up a hill I imagine how much it must suck to run in a parking garage and push harder.
  • linddavis
    linddavis Posts: 101
    Options
    @DavidMartinez... that is hilarious. Yes, it does suck to to simulate hills for us flatlanders. I am doing a running camp
    in Sept. (CO) so have been taking my hills seriously. Have been running hills once /week for min. 5 miles. Its working.
    My 5 k times are improving! And hopefully I wont be the last one in at camp:) I have some tweaky knees so I dont want to do more than once/wk.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I live in a very hilly neighborhood. So going for a run always involves hills. One in particular I use when I'm actually doing specific "hill work", or "hill repeats". It's perfect for repeats.

All my races this year are flat. So, in an effort to train as I race and race as I train, I have to drive to a local park that's good and flat to get in my long runs. But for standard runs, yeah it's the hills.

When you do hills endlessly, they just become part of your everyday workout life. I'm so much more comfortable and confident on hills than people who're faster and more talented than me, just because I run so many of them. At my last marathon, I passed tons of people the last 6-10 miles, who were wilting on the hills. I don't feel like I have an "edge" when I'm racing hills, but when the race mimics my normal running routes, I definitely feel more comfortable and competitive.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Everyday :) I love in the Yorkshire dales and it is more than impossible to not go for a run incorporating a hill!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you mean.

There is hill training, which is to build strength and is usually done before the base phase of a 4 phase training program. You would probably only do this once a week as it takes time to recover. This is typically the "run up, walk down" type of hill training.

Then, there is incorporating hilly routes into your regular routine. I try to do all my easy runs and long runs on routes that have hills. I know this has benefited me tremendously on race day. The only time I seek out flat areas to run is if I am doing very specific pace work.

I do this. I run hill repeats as my middle-of-the-week run (generally 6 to 10 miles) and when training for a half marathon or marathon, I make sure my long run includes hills in my route. Works wonders. :)