Any idea what to change push ups to?

Options
Darkladymelz
Darkladymelz Posts: 9 Member
I'm on my forth week of Insanity, but I have a problem when I'm doing any form of push up. I believe my may have Carpel Tunnel Syndrome in my right wrist. After a little pressure is applied I get sharp pains through my wrist causing push ups to be a huge problem. I have to go to the doctor to be sure.

I have been doing push ups on my knees as this takes some of the pressure off my wrists. But I feel that I am missing out on what I am achieving from push ups. For example I can't currently do push up jacks.

Anyone got any other ideas on how to change up my push ups so I can still do them and not apply to much pressure to my wrist.

Replies

• shererorama
    Options
    try using push up bars (http://www.amazon.com/GoFit-GF-PUB-Push-Up-Bars/dp/B0007W2FLS) this will take the weight of your body off your wrists. also adds more range of motion to your push up.
  • Darkladymelz
    Options
    try using push up bars (http://www.amazon.com/GoFit-GF-PUB-Push-Up-Bars/dp/B0007W2FLS) this will take the weight of your body off your wrists. also adds more range of motion to your push up.

Thanks, I will try that. I think my husband has some somewhere.
  • boberrymom
    boberrymom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Have you tried going to see a chiropractor? I found i would get this pain when my back was out. This is really the reason i knew i needed an adjustment. Its very painful and stops you from not just pushups, anything that requires a holding or pushing. Hope it gets better. I really have no suggestion i just pushed through the pain, which isn't the right thing to do.
  • Darkladymelz
    Options
    Have you tried going to see a chiropractor? I found i would get this pain when my back was out. This is really the reason i knew i needed an adjustment. Its very painful and stops you from not just pushups, anything that requires a holding or pushing. Hope it gets better. I really have no suggestion i just pushed through the pain, which isn't the right thing to do.

Thing is I can't push through the pain, its excruciating. It feels like my wrist is about to snap even with the slightest bit of pressure.

Definitely will see someone about it though.
  • JoyfullySimpleFit
    Options
    I'm on my forth week of Insanity, but I have a problem when I'm doing any form of push up. I believe my may have Carpel Tunnel Syndrome in my right wrist. After a little pressure is applied I get sharp pains through my wrist causing push ups to be a huge problem. I have to go to the doctor to be sure.

I have been doing push ups on my knees as this takes some of the pressure off my wrists. But I feel that I am missing out on what I am achieving from push ups. For example I can't currently do push up jacks.

Anyone got any other ideas on how to change up my push ups so I can still do them and not apply to much pressure to my wrist.

Have you ever tried using push-up stands? I have weak wrists and I use them, it works great for me. Not sure if it will help with carpal tunnel but maybe. What about resistance bands...do you have any of those? You could work the chest with those by doing rows (back) and oh, I cant think of the one for chest but you pull the band up or down for the chest work.
  • JoyfullySimpleFit
    Options
    Oh PLANK. You can do plank on your forearms and hold that position. It will not work the chest like a pushup does BUT it will work the abs/core like a pushup. :D