newbie looking for more info

meg_leduc
meg_leduc Posts: 1 Member
I was recently told that my LDL cholesterol level is high. I have no idea what I should do to start the process of lowering it. Well... I know that I need to exercise and get my weight under control. But what foods I should eat and which ones I should avoid -- I'm kind of clueless. I'm only 29 years old, but I was on a medication that made me gain 45 pounds. Stopped that, but now on one that increases my LDL. Where to start?

Replies

• doughalejr
    doughalejr Posts: 1 Member
    newbie here also as of Friday. I am starting with exercise to increase HDL (which can lower your LDL) and high fiber foods to directly lower LDL. Fiber foods I am eating are bran cereals, fruit with skins, figs, etc. Hope that helps some.
  • laybyday
    laybyday Posts: 2 Member
    Hey there. I'm a newbie too! I've been diagnosed with high cholesterol, very high actually that my dr has prescribed a statin. :/ Can't believe I've let it go that far but not any more! I've started by changing my diet, in the morning I have oats with water & a little 1% milk. Oats are great for helping to lower cholesterol. For my main meal I'll have lots of veg with lean meat & carbohydrate whole grain pasta or a potato (with no butter) my dr recommends cutting out hard fats like butter, soft cheeses ( go low fat) cream, cakes, pastries, fried food all the stuff I ate in abundance :( I'm only starting out but I'm determined to lower that number!
  • catchkat
    catchkat Posts: 1 Member
    I've recently been told that my LDL is high as well. I was given a year to get it down. I found this article (http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Heart_Letter/2009/October/11-foods-that-lower-cholesterol) that I'm using as my "jumping off point".

How does exercise lower cholesterol?