Can I cycle to work??

Options
3319jane
3319jane Posts: 38 Member
Ok, so I am in a dilemma - I recently started cycling again after 25 years and have slowly but steadily built my stamina and speed (relatively!!) so that I am now able to go at a half decent rate for a fair few miles. My plan was always to try and cycle to work but I have mainly been cycling off road and I am still pretty apprehensive of mixing with cars.

I live in a rural area of the UK and the lanes I will use are very narrow & twisty and the route is a bit of a 'rat run' for local commuters, which is why I am wary. I am going to try and cycle the route this weekend to make sure I can cope with the hills/distance (it is about 10 miles, so very doable, in theory) and then possibly attempt to ride in one day next week.

Does anyone have any advice for commuting on these types of roads? Or should I just stick to the trails at weekends?

All advice welcome :flowerforyou:

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm probably in a minority but I find having a mirror on the bike makes a huge difference to safety. Being able to anticipate what the moronic or just plain anti-social car drivers coming up behind are up to makes a big difference.

Apart from that it's the sensible stuff of wearing hi-viz / bright colours. Don't cycle too close to the gutter to keep out of all the gravel and away from drain covers - it also gives you some wiggle room to avoid pot holes.

Not a bad idea to have your lights on in anything except perfect sunlight to make yourself more visible from a distance.

Cycling quickly helps too - less impatience from any car drivers you might be holding up for a few seconds.....
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I ride to work in very rural North Yorkshire. If you pick your routes you shouldn't be really 'mixing it' with too many cars...

Just make sure you can 'be seen' and you shouldn't have too many problems.

You can't of course legislate for odd few idiots, who, unfortunately seem to get their licenses out of a lucky bag. The vast majority of drivers are very good on the whole!

My journey (shortest) is 13.7 miles each way, or it can be as long as I want it to be :laugh:

You can do it :wink:

You could also look at doing a bit of 'Bikeability' training (Google it), this'll not only give you some 'tools' to deal with certain situations, but also give you more confidence!
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I ride to work 25 miles across the Brecon Beacons, probably as rural as you can get! I use a hi-viz cover on my backpack to help being seen. You get the odd maniac who passes by too close but generally i find the traffic most considerate, especially the HGV's and buses. I don't do it in the winter or extreme wind/rain though because i personally consider it to be too dangerous in the dark/wet conditions.
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    While y'all are across the pond from me, I'd still like to chime on on commuting and second the mirror suggestion. I use a "take-a-look" mirror that mounts to my clear (and only clear) riding glasses. I am as paranoid as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs without my mirror. In fact, I even use the mirror on group rides just because I feel so naked without it. It really is nice being able to see what is coming up behind you.

http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Peddler-Cycling-Eyeglass-Original/dp/B000C17M26/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368791717&sr=8-1&keywords=take-a-look+mirror
  • 3319jane
    Options
    Thanks everyone, some things to consider.....

I think I just need to bite the bullet and have a go at it. I'll let you know how I get on :smile:
  • Scudder76
    Scudder76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Another chime-in on the thought of planning best routes...

I ride in a different environment, VERY urban, but for sane traffic and a sane me, I commute a route that's about 1.5 miles longer that the "direct". I actually find my longer route to be faster than the direct, for fewer traffic lights and obstacles.
  • 3319jane
    Options
    Well, I did a trial run on Saturday and it went ok - far hillier than I thought, but that just means I work harder, I guess ....

It turns out to be about 8 miles, with a couple off road, so not too bad at all really - I managed it in 43 minutes, so something to work on there :smile:

I'm going to have a go tomorrow morning for real, so fingers crossed it goes ok.

Thanks everyone for your advice, it helped push me into having a go .....
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Let us know how you get on :wink:
  • 3319jane
    Options
    Well, I did it :)

Traffic wasn't too bad, so that was a relief.

It seemed a lot harder than Saturday but I was on my own (never cycled alone before) so had no-one to share the discomfort with!

I feel great though - very satisfying ....
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    I feel great though - very satisfying ....

Awesome! You need to build it up slowly now; 2 days a week, then 3... etc. etc. Before you know it you'll be riding to work in 20 minutes :wink:
  • 3319jane
    Options
    Cheers :smile:

I think it will be a while before I hit the 20 minute mark :laugh:
  • beatpig
    beatpig Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It won't take as long as you think!

I work 12.9m from home (12.8m on the way home!), and I was happy when I "broke the hour", ecstatic when I broke the 50minute barrier, and bugger me if I didn't break the 45minute mark a couple of weeks ago.

It takes 36 minutes - on a good day - to drive!

It's taken almost a year to do, so not that long!
  • 3319jane
    Options
    Wow - I would love to see improvements that quickly - although right now, I am just psyching myself up for the return leg :smile:

Thanks again everyone.
  • tc41586
    tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm probably in a minority but I find having a mirror on the bike makes a huge difference to safety. Being able to anticipate what the moronic or just plain anti-social car drivers coming up behind are up to makes a big difference.

Apart from that it's the sensible stuff of wearing hi-viz / bright colours. Don't cycle too close to the gutter to keep out of all the gravel and away from drain covers - it also gives you some wiggle room to avoid pot holes.

Not a bad idea to have your lights on in anything except perfect sunlight to make yourself more visible from a distance.

Cycling quickly helps too - less impatience from any car drivers you might be holding up for a few seconds.....

Agree!! The mirror was an excellent add-on for my commute to work.
  • Strangelyinsane
    Strangelyinsane Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Keep it up. Since we have switched to daylight savings time in Washington State I ride to work most days (6 miles each way) and take a ride at lunch time (another 6 - 12 miles). Hope you enjoy your rides and be safe!
  • 3319jane
    Options

Struggled on the hills going home last night but still got up and did it again this morning, so pretty proud of myself so far ....
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi. Not sure if you're after this sort of stuff but get LUMINOUS clothing! I find orange or bright pink is most visible. Also as much reflective/high vis tape or strips as you can stand for early evenings. Been cycling rural small lanes my whole adult life and it certainly helps if the buggers can't pretend they didn't see you :)
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I second, third, and fourth on the mirror suggestion. I find that I'm totally paranoid if I ride without it. Especially if the road I'm riding is busy. I'm not big on those mirrors that attach to your helmet or glasses. I have friends that have them and love them, I've never been able to make myself just move my eyes, I always move my head and I still can't see anything out of them. So a handlebar mounted mirror is my suggestion these are my favorites ... not a commercial I do not have stock in this company. But I do have both the road and mountain bike mirrors, and love them.

http://www.mirrycle.com/mirrycle_mirrors.php
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I am also thinking to come to work on my cycle. Going to office will take 35 minutes (12 Kms) as it is downhill and straight. But coming back is uphill and it will take 90 long minutes. This bit is stopping me from cycling to work. I am thinking just to come to work on my bike and going back I can still take the subway. May be once a week I can try going back as well.
  • 3319jane
    Options
    I am also thinking to come to work on my cycle. Going to office will take 35 minutes (12 Kms) as it is downhill and straight. But coming back is uphill and it will take 90 long minutes. This bit is stopping me from cycling to work. I am thinking just to come to work on my bike and going back I can still take the subway. May be once a week I can try going back as well.

If you can, I would have a go - I am loving it and my route home is much harder too, so I have just taken it steady. I am going for three full round trips this week, which will be the most I have done - half way through that now and feeling positive I can make it.

Thanks for all the advice everyone - ironically, the road I am travelling is very quiet for traffic and it hasn't been an issue so far. I have definitely taken on board the need to be seen though!

Hopefully I will be up to 5 days a week within a couple of months :smile: