IC and exercise

Options
I posted a comment under IC diagnosis...but I wonder what do you all find works for you when exercising? Anything special that your bladder tolerates and helps you reduce the pounds?

I've been instructed NO running, so I walk (no inclines because it causes back pain). I am supposed to be able to swim but I get flares from chlorine.

So what are you guys able to do?

Replies

• cktb4him
    cktb4him Posts: 56
    Options
    What about physical therapy? Did anyone do PT and have success afterwards working out or even just reduction of pain symptoms?
  • LouiseH238
    LouiseH238 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I just saw this. I walk as much as I can, haven't tried swimming because I'm worried about chlorine. I found a tai chi class and find I can do that quite easily, it doesn't get you panting but a little out of breath and definitely works and stretches all the muscle groups.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have no problems with running unless I'm in a horrible deadly flare, thankfully! When I'm flaring, I switch to walking. Martial arts are about the same. When my symptoms are low or I'm in a mild flare, high impact stuff helps me -- quick endorphine release!

Chlorine definitely aggravates me, so I started using vaseline to slather the area, so to speak, before I swim, and that seemed to help (though had to be sure to clean the area well afterward to get rid of it). I'm an ex-competitive swimmer, so it was a hard one to give up. :[

I've heard some IC folks have luck with yoga, but I find it just gives me spasms. I also definitely can't do cycling unless it's a recumbent bike.

BUT as with everything with this stupid illness, all of us are different...it may be a case of trial and error!
  • fabalaloon
    fabalaloon Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey all. I'm very frustrated about this topic as well. I've definitely noticed that chlorine gives me flares and am excited to try the Vaseline idea as I am doing a mommy/daughter swim class with my baby girl and don't want to give that up.
    I also have IBS and I've found that walking/running aggravate that, so that's out for me. I can't do yoga because I have carpal tunnel and any positions that require putting pressure on my wrists are out...so that means no push-ups either.
    I love doing cardio training and pilates, but last time I did them I had a flare the next morning...and I'm not sure if that is what caused it or not. Seems like this means I need to just count my calories and do little amounts of exercise, but it SUCKS to do the IC Diet AND watch my calories/fat intake. Very frustrated right now.
  • cktb4him
    Options
    I have no problems with running unless I'm in a horrible deadly flare, thankfully! When I'm flaring, I switch to walking. Martial arts are about the same. When my symptoms are low or I'm in a mild flare, high impact stuff helps me -- quick endorphine release!

Chlorine definitely aggravates me, so I started using vaseline to slather the area, so to speak, before I swim, and that seemed to help (though had to be sure to clean the area well afterward to get rid of it). I'm an ex-competitive swimmer, so it was a hard one to give up. :[

I've heard some IC folks have luck with yoga, but I find it just gives me spasms. I also definitely can't do cycling unless it's a recumbent bike.

BUT as with everything with this stupid illness, all of us are different...it may be a case of trial and error!

Wow! You are very active! I wish I could jog/run- do you take any meds to keep the bladder from spasms after the run? My doctor told me no running, jogging, or anything high impact :grumble: . So I walk and do gentle yoga. The chlorine bothers me too so I will definitely try the vaseline. Thanks for that tip!
  • cktb4him
    Options
    Hey all. I'm very frustrated about this topic as well. I've definitely noticed that chlorine gives me flares and am excited to try the Vaseline idea as I am doing a mommy/daughter swim class with my baby girl and don't want to give that up.
    I also have IBS and I've found that walking/running aggravate that, so that's out for me. I can't do yoga because I have carpal tunnel and any positions that require putting pressure on my wrists are out...so that means no push-ups either.
    I love doing cardio training and pilates, but last time I did them I had a flare the next morning...and I'm not sure if that is what caused it or not. Seems like this means I need to just count my calories and do little amounts of exercise, but it SUCKS to do the IC Diet AND watch my calories/fat intake. Very frustrated right now.

I wanted to share with you what my pelvic floor rehabilitation doc told me about flares after pilates or any ab/core work. I flare as well and asked her why this was such an issue for me. I have endometriosis (and IBS- like you) as well, so this may not pertain to you but I have many trigger points in my abdomen. They are like knots of muscle that continue to cause pain whenever the muscle is activated. Also, the entire rectus abdominus are connected to your pelvic floor so when you enact them you can cause severe spasms in your bladder. She told me not to do any pilates, core work ever again because I happen to be hypertonic in the pelvic floor and go into severe spasms and pain with any core work. It contradicts everything my PT for back pain told me to do but she assured me with IC and the other health issues I have I need stretching exercises. I do alot of upward dog stretches and pelvic opening stretches. At this point she has told me no weights until the pelvic floor is relaxed more than it is now.

She also did dry needling on my trigger points and although extremely painful (and I had two huge bruises for a week and half after) I have felt much less spasming with daily activities. I highly recommend pelvic floor therapy to release the tension or you may end up like me-many more problems later. One more thing- she told me we get the trigger points from laprascopic surgeries, bladder pain before we were diagnosed, IBS pain, basically any chronic pain issue that remains untreated will create these knots in the muscle and they need to be worked out.
  • cktb4him
    Options
    I just saw this. I walk as much as I can, haven't tried swimming because I'm worried about chlorine. I found a tai chi class and find I can do that quite easily, it doesn't get you panting but a little out of breath and definitely works and stretches all the muscle groups.

Tai Chi sounds wonderful! I can't get out for a class- do you know of any good videos by chance? I'd love to try it!
  • LouiseH238
    LouiseH238 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

Tai Chi sounds wonderful! I can't get out for a class- do you know of any good videos by chance? I'd love to try it!

I found this series on YouTube quite helpful - he goes through the Beijing 24 form and you can see the moves from all angles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5hvODK2zW4

Like with yoga, tai chi is really all about the breathing and slow, controlled movements, so try to focus on that.
  • saunca
    saunca Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I finally was able to start jogging (not running), just a really slow & non-bouncy gait, about 6 years after getting IC. It took that long to find a combination of Meds, stress mgt, non-traditional treatment like acupuncture, and diet changes that brought my pain & urgency down to a bearable level. Until then, all I could do was walk.
    I take diazepam and hyoscyamine about 15 minutes before I jog. Both counter the bladder & pelvic floor spasms. It was really slow going at first. I did 1X a week, then when my bladder didn't seem to be totally freaking out from that anymore, then I did 2X a week and so forth... I couldn't put myself in the position of not being able to care for my young child, so I had to be very careful and accept very slow progress. But, it did work.

I've missed swimming tremendously. Going to try the Vaseline thing that someone else suggested. Were you ever able to give it a try??

Cheryl : )