Just Keep Swimming...

Options
I am so glad I found this group! I have been wanting some friends who love swimming as much as I do! I have always been a swimmer and find it my not only my first choice for fitness but also my time to escape! I have been swimming regularly at my local Cal Fit 3 plus days a week for one year and hope to join Swim Masters in the spring! Id love some new SwimFan Friends just like me!:wink:

Replies

• onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Me, too. I've only been here about a month. I swim every day and love it. I'm new to swimming laps, but it's coming along well and me strength and endurance is building.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Hi - my short story is:

1976 - Bullied at school, swim lessons were a complete waste of time and a place of fear for me, so much that the smell of chlorine would set off panic attacks.

1984 - On leaving school and into my early twenties, I decided to work this swimming thing out for myself. I took myself along to the local pool alone and worked out the swim strokes (badly) from a dead-float position and I thought I was getting on quite well.

2008 - More recently, loving swimming now, I moved to Cornwall where I enjoy swimming in the sea and inland in safe lakes and rivers (with family and friends of course; never alone). Still, feeling a bit swamped at the local pools because everyone was lapping and overtaking me and I knew there was something wrong with my streamlining or techniques - always breathless in front crawl and painfully slow in breast-stroke. The pool was still a scary place and the smell of chlorine still making me feel fearful.

2013 - This year, just the past eight weeks, I booked onto some swim coaching sessions and had a coach look at my swimming techniques and found my strokes were kind of right but my own play on them. It took two sessions to pull the basiccs together and I am suddenly now (feeling like) flying down the lanes and loving it.

It took this coaching, an enthusiastic coach and committment to the appointments on my part to break through to my current absolute love of swimming. The pool is no longer a scary place because I can hold my own in the lanes a lot better - though still in the slow lane!

Sadly, my coach had to move on but we managed to work together enough to get me swimming properly before she had to move on. She asked me to text her when I can manage 100m front-crawl ontinually and in a relaxed style and that is what I am presently working on.
  • tdhighfill
    tdhighfill Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    @C4L05 - that is a wonderful story! Keep us posted we can all do a big shout of YIPPIE when you manage 100m non-stop!

your story is wonderful. so glad you have conquered the cholorine fear!