Race time VS training time

Options
xcmum
xcmum Posts: 136
I'm wondering if you guys can let me know how your race time was compared to your longest easy run?

Did you come in 10 minutes quicker or 5 minutes, maybe you came in slower due to unforeseen circumstances?

Would love to know what your training was like compared to the race :)

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    A typical long run for me is going to be an 8ish pace. My last 1/2 my pace was 7:11. Long runs should generally be slower than race
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    this is an excellent question and would love to know too:) I know your long runs are supposed to be easy but I wonder how much faster I can kick it up and actually sustain it for my race (it'll be my first 1/2). I know for my 10K races, I can push harder at a "race pace" but it's tough and I'd hate to fizzle out in the longer distance. I would still like to be able to finish strong!

@xcmum - how did you feel in your longest run? do you have a race day pace in mind or are you gonna go by feel?
  • kenleyj
    kenleyj Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It depends on which long run as some of your long runs through out the course of training should have some HMP miles built into them. Then again, it depends on what your goals are. When you have a particular Race Pace in mind, you would never want to run your whole long run at that pace, but rather for example. If you are aiming for a sub 2:00, you would maybe take your 10 miler and run the first 5 relaxed and the last 5 at HMP. But again, it all depends on your goals. My longest run for half marathon is 16 miles and I usually run the last 8 at HMP. To turn things around your question should read: I'm wondering if you guys can let me know how your longest easy run was compared to your race time? If your longest run was just all easy, then I hope that your race time was quicker.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I trained using the Run Less Run Faster plan. I trained up to 20 seconds mpm slower than my anticipated race time, but actually raced 45 seconds mpm faster than my anticipated training time.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I'm slow. My races have been more than 30 minutes faster than my training runs.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I just checked my log, and most of my 13+ mile long runs were at a 10:30 - 11 minute pace. My race pace ended up being 9:40 - so a pretty big difference. On long runs, I generally tried to keep my heart rate in Zone 2 (140ish or under). There are plenty of calculators online (http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate - a really good one) that can give you an idea. I figured it out perfectly on my last half - I knew I could do it in 2:10, so I stuck with the 2:10 pacer until mile 9 or so, and then sped up and finished strong at 2:08. Hopefully I can get under 2 hours on my next race this fall. I think I am going to add some HMP training to some of my long runs this time (in addition to weekly tempo runs).

It really helps if you can pinpoint the pace you can do, so you don't start out too fast. I definitely felt like I was holding myself back at the beginning, but I would not have been able to finish so strong otherwise.