Brand New to NROL4W - How do I....?

Options
MrsK20141004
MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
get started?!

I just finished reading the book and am about to start stage 1 BUT I'm terrified. I'm intimidated by the gym (I took me about a month of going regularly to get comfortable using the weight machines like the leg press, leg extensions, etc...). I'm intimidated by the people at the gym and even worse I'm intimidated by the weight room.

I fully realise I'm not the only person to ever feel this way but I don't know how to get out of my own head. I can talk myself out of anything and I'm really looking forward to lifting! I had a personal trainer a few years ago and he showed me some weights and i was okay with that program because the gym wasn't busy then one day I was doing my routine and some huge guy came over and told me he was using the plates and bench I was on. I noticed him before I sat down and he was on another bench on the other side of the room. I never went back. Ever since then I haven't been able to just go and do it....

I don't know what the weights are, what a squat rack is... help!

Replies

• beansNboo
    beansNboo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    First of all - you can do this! All that intimidation is just in your head.. but as you said, it can still be very scary (and even if it's just in your head, it's keeping you from the weight room).

So, here are some things that helped me. Pick a day to go at a relatively quiet time so you won't have to experiment with weights while also feeling rushed. Then, head in to the weight room and wander around until you see one exercise that you feel comfortable starting with (perhaps step ups? they only require a step and weights - and a mirror). Once you're set up, take your time with this first exercise (I know the program has "rules" but this is your first time, it's okay to be a little slow). While you are working your way through the first exercise, look around the room and plan your next move - if you can spot the squat rack, watch someone use it! Then move from exercise to exercise at a slow pace and try your hand at each of them until you get a feel for the movement and weights. Then in a few days, do the same for Workout B. Think of your first week as easing in..If you need to add another week to the end (to get the full sets/reps in, do it. It's equally important that you are building your confidence, while you build those muscles :)

The squat rack looks sorta like a "clothing rack" for weights. You'll see what looks like ladders on either side, and then a long metal bar resting on one of the rungs. You'll adjust this based on your height before starting. Then load whatever weights you think you can handle, and get into position (step underneath, rest bar on your shoulders) and rotate the bar slightly to "unlock" it from it's rung. Once you do one squat, you'll see how simple it is to use.

Good luck :)
  • celticmyss
    celticmyss Posts: 10
    Options
    I was really intimidated when I started and still am to an extent.

A few things really helped me. I watched a lot of videos for the different moves so i'd feel comfortable with them for the most part. Several weeks in to stage 1 I still watch new ones to refresh my memory.

I wandered around the weight rooms a few days before I started Stage 1 to see what equipment was available and where it was. I skimmed through the exercises to see what questions I had. The first time I did work out B (used dumbbells for first squats so didn't need rack) I spoke with one of the employees at my gym and he showed me the equipment I would need and answered some of my questions.

I also added an additional pair of the 2 set/15 rep exercise days since I considered the first time I did A and B to be practice.

The best confidence builder though is to just do it. Remember that everyone had to start some time too. Keep your head held high and show no fear. I've found that 99% of the time everyone ignores each other unless they have a question about sharing equipment.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I am going through the same thing today. I've read the book twice. I have my workout sheets printed out. Gym bag is packed. Scared half to death to tackle the squat rack on my own. :smile:

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and go do it. If I look like an idiot, maybe someone will be kind enough to help me. Then, once my form is good, I can change gyms. J/K
  • royherb
    royherb Posts: 4
    Options
    "Then, once my form is good, I can change gyms"

HA! THAT made me laugh in an otherwise crappy day.... :)

You'll do great... just walk in there and pretend like you know what you're doing. Nobody cares what anybody else is doing in the gym.. even when you think everybody is looking... they're not.
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    When I first started lifting years ago, I watched a lot of videos so that I was familiar with the weights/machines and to gain a little more knowledge in proper form and how to do certain lifts.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    All right, Ellen. I did it. You can, too! :wink:

I actually will be changing gyms in a few months as my office is moving and I work out at lunch. It won't be to escape, though. Hehe.