Let's talk about protein

Options
Hey Everyone,

I thought it might be a good idea to share ideas of how we bump up our protein intake to hit our macros.

I try to hit 6 meals a day and supplement with shakes and homemade bars. I am always interested in trying new things!

I'm particularly interested in foods I can bring to work, I have no access to a fridge/microwave/stove so that can limit me at times. I do bring a cool bag to work with an ice pack so can keep some stuff chilled.

So how do you meet yours?!

Replies

• yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I usually get most of my protein from fish, natto, tofu, edamame, and such. I do eat yogurt as well but they don't sell Greek yogurt here (so it's usually a bit on the low side in terms of protein) and I have yet to see a protein bar/shake of any kind.
  • rsharper97
    rsharper97 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I try to get my protein with cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and lean meats. I do use protein powder almost every morning to give it a little jump start. You never realize how little protein you eat until you start tracking it. I am curious to see other answers as well.
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of meat, especially chicken. I use protein powder after lifting, because it's easy to bring with me. I eat Greek yogurt, full fat now because I am happier with more fat and less carbs. Something you can bring with you that doesn't need heated up, cut up chicken breast with pesto on it is really good, and you can sprinkle some parmesan on top for extra flavor. Eggs are another good way to get some protein in, and hard-boiled eggs or deviled eggs are easy to bring with you.
  • Ashashleigh
    Ashashleigh Posts: 10
    Options
    I try to get my protein with cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and lean meats. I do use protein powder almost every morning to give it a little jump start. You never realize how little protein you eat until you start tracking it. I am curious to see other answers as well.

I was so shocked at how little I was eating!
  • Ashashleigh
    Ashashleigh Posts: 10
    Options
    All good stuff here, keep it coming!

I should have said in my first post that I eat Greek yoghurt, almonds, tuna, lean meats and as I said before I make my own protein bars. I was eating lentils but found them quite high in cals and not worth it for all the amount of protein. It's my 3pm meal I'm having trouble with, I usually have carrots, celery and hummus but I need something that packs more of a protein punch!
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    when I go somewhere with no fridge access, I take a ice pack bag with a chobani greek yogurt (12-16 grams of protein) a few hardboiled eggs (7-8 per egg) Cottage cheese (14 per half cup) and some turkey/mozzerella roll ups. Sometimes I take a string cheese(7 grams of protein) too. If i am low on my fat macro I will take a 170 cal. pack of planters peanuts too.

Cat
  • sherrihuntsmith
    sherrihuntsmith Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have bumped mine up with hi protein milk and great grains protein cereal. Or I will snack on cottage cheese or tuna.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt
    unflavored whey protein powder (I have a protein shake every day after my workout)
    nuts and seeds (pumpkin seeds have an AMAZING amount of protein!!!)
    nut butters
    fish (including canned tuna and salmon)
    chicken
    ground turkey
    beans
    quinoa
    turkey jerky (Trader Joe's has the lowest amount of sodium I've seen)
    skim milk
    cheese
    eggs
  • dlcarroll13
    dlcarroll13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I also like to get cheese sticks...pack a nice lil punch without too many calories. Usually over 10 grams with 2 sticks and you can fit that in for 100-120 cals total.
  • RedHeadMoo
    RedHeadMoo Posts: 11
    Options
    There are also a lot of lean red meat cuts out there. :)

I eat a lot of red meat. I eat a lot of meat period.
    I grill a bunch of meat twice a week, portion it out in baggies,
    throw in a plastic fork and go. Double bag it with ice if I have to.
  • MoosieMooMama
    Options
    Google for protein powder egg muffins too.
    There are so many variations out there and you can literally do any combination.
    I make them with chicken, broccoli and cheese
    and fruit ones (blueberry, banana etc)
    Most will give you about 16+ grams of protein in one.
    Some are higher depending on what you add in.

Make in big batches and refrigerate in little baggies. My kids love them.