Calories and slow weight loss

Options
I've got the LapBand and I've been losing VERY slowly. Based on my calories and activity, I really should be losing 2+ lbs a week, but in the last 7 weeks I've only lost 8.5, in spite of adding cardio and weights. I've been eating about 1300 calories a day, and burning around 400+ daily when I excercise. I haven't been eating the calories I burn back, and some folks have told me that's why my weight loss is so slow. I'm upping my calories to 1420 (based on MyFitnessPal's recommendation) and I'm going to try eating my excercise calories and see if that helps.

Have any of you experienced this? Do you eat your MFP recommended calories, and do you eat your excercise calories back?

Thanks,
Stephanie

Replies

• TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    When was your surgery? What was your starting weight? What about protein amounts? How close are you to your goal weight?
  • SinCityMermaid
    SinCityMermaid Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My surgery was 5 years ago.
    You can read the whole story here if you want. I don't feel like typing it all out again. =)
    http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/165378-starting-over-5-years-after-surgery/

Bottom line, I lost weight, but I had a lot of problems with being too tight and not being able to get anything down. I got completely unfilled, and in the 2 years that followed, gained back what I'd lost. I started over from the ground up three months ago at 284.00 lbs. I'm now at 255lbs, and my goal on the high end is 170. Most days I consume 90+ grams of protein.
  • amarkle86
    amarkle86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have the band too, it'll be one year on June 18th since I've had it done. I still almost consistently lose about 2 pounds a week. I did have slow periods though where I wouldn't lose at all for a few weeks, but I just kept going and eventually the plateaus would break.

Personally I usually eat less than what MFP tells me (they recommend 1200) and I don't eat back my burned calories. A lot of people have some strong opinions about this saying that it's unhealthy and the wrong way to go about it. The difference is usually we can't eat more than that. Most days I couldn't eat more calories unless I drank milkshakes every day or something! I think as long as you're being smart about it (like eating lots of protein, taking your vitamins, etc), there's nothing wrong with listening to your body and knowing that you're full and that you don't need to eat more. I'm not sure how helpful that was, but that's my thought on the whole thing!