Maternity Leave

Options
lk27
lk27 Posts: 267 Member
I'm wondering what your plans are for maternity leave. All along I was planning on working right up until I go into labor. At 34 weeks, I'm already tired and uncomfortable and having a hard time concentrating at work. Now, I'm thinking that I will plan to take a week off before my due date (assuming I don't go into labor before that) to have some time to myself and get things ready for the baby. I'm getting mixed reviews from family and friends. Half of them say it's a good idea to take the week before off (and that I will need it) and half say there is no point. I would rather have the extra time home with the baby before I go back to work, but my job is very flexible as far as when I come back. Just wondering what everyone else is planning.

Replies

• Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I took off a week before my daughter was born. It was wonderful at the time, but I now regret it. The 12 weeks I got off was NOT enough and I am one of the lucky ones to even egt that much in the US. It flew by and I would have really loved having another week with her rather than going back to work any sooner after the birth. She was so tiny and we had just worked out breastfeeding and finally had something that resembled a routine. Ahhh, to live in a country with REAL maternity leave, but that is another soapbox. If you have a VERY flexible work environment then I would do it though.

This time I will be working until I literally cannot anymore. I hope that goes all the way up until delivery, though I may save a few vacation days to start cashing in around then as not to tamper with "maternity" leave time. Things are much different now though. I actually think working will be much easier than chasing a toddler, so I may be inclined to come to work to relax, lol.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Last time I worked right up until I delivered. As in, I went to work on Wednesday, went into labor Wednesday night, and gave birth on Thursday morning - so I obviously was not in the office that day! We had already set it up for me to make a quick exit, so for my office it was fine. My job involved a LOT of work, and since my office was too small to have to follow FMLA, I did not have paid maternity leave. (I bought disability insurance, which paid for 6 weeks (8 weeks if you have a c-section), but then they forced me to use up my PTO first, so all in all I only got 3 weeks of disability insurance. I was pissed off at them, but honestly I got more out of the insurance than I paid in, so I couldn't complain.) Point being, I needed to work as much as possible in order to earn as much as possible. My going back was rather flexible, since I was not on paid leave, so if I had gone back, I think it would have been slightly more than 12 weeks (like 13-14 weeks). However, if I had gone back, and they had held me to 12 weeks, I'd rather have had the time off afterwards with the baby. It goes by really, really fast. Faster than you think it will.

This time my husband and I are self-employed (he was before; I joined him after baby #1), so I am getting as much done as possible pre-baby. There have been days when I'd have loved to stay home, and even my dad was surprised that I wasn't taking some time off, but there's really a lot that needs to be done around here.

I understand that you're starting to get tired and are finding it hard to concentrate - I think I hit that wall about the same time you did - but my guess is that you'll be happier having the extra time after you have your baby. At most I'd take a week off before your due date, but keep in mind that you might not make it that far! I guess it depends on your setup as far as whether or not your leave is paid, if you'll need the extra week of full pay prior to delivery, etc.
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My maternity leave is not paid. My husband is totally on board and fine with the idea of me taking a week of before my due date (assuming, again, that I make it that far). My biggest concern is that I will take a week off before my due date then be a week or 2 late. I don't need that much time to myself. I guess I'll just see how things are going and decide once the time comes.
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm 37 weeks and I'm taking the next week off to get stuff ready and go to doctor's appointments. With my son, they had already decided to induce me at this point, so we'll see what happens! I'm in the military, so it's paid maternity leave, but I get six weeks postpartum.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    With babies 1 and 2, I worked up until the very end. With this one, I start my leave at 5 pm tomorrow, a week before my scheduled c-section. Luckily, this is counting as short term disability and not against my 12 weeks, but I would still do it anyway. I have no energy left.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    My maternity leave is not paid. My husband is totally on board and fine with the idea of me taking a week of before my due date (assuming, again, that I make it that far). My biggest concern is that I will take a week off before my due date then be a week or 2 late. I don't need that much time to myself. I guess I'll just see how things are going and decide once the time comes.

Ooh, good call on being late! That would be crappy. Maybe plan on 2 or 3 days off leading up? Me, I'd need the pay, but I can totally appreciate that time off, too. You can sleep in a little, get stuff done, and maybe get a little "me" time - matinee and a pedicure, anyone?

Then again, the more you plan, the less likely you'll be to be available... Last time we had two weekends before my EDD, so we planned to spend them going to the movies and the like. Nope, baby came at 38+5 (went into labor at 38+4). This time we've stayed home over the weekends because I'm mega-tired and freaked out that we won't be home when I go into labor, thus making the hand-off of my son to my sister difficult or impossible, and I'm 39+1 with a gut feeling that I'll be going in for an induction on 5/28 (40+2).
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I worked right up until I delivered with my first and plan to do the same this time too. I would be worried too about going late. my cousin took a week off before her duedate and was 11 days late so she lost almost 3weeks of time afterwords....
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If your tired hun, take the time off! Dont over-do things and feel like you HAVE to keep going up until your due date.
    We get mat leave paid here so I am planning on leaving at 36 weeks xx
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I worked up until I had my first child, literally I was in labor at work and went straight to the hospital :) I wanted all the time for when he was born (8 weeks) but only 6 of them were paid- I had to use all of my vacation/sick days and it still wasn't enough. Having said that... I remember being so tired that I wanted to cry the last week. Maybe you can take half of a week.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    with my first I wasn't working, and continued to stay home with him until he was 3. with my second I worked up until 2 weeks before my due date and regretted it, it was so hard. With this one I am starting my leave at 36 weeks, I'm being induced at 39 weeks, and I'm taking the max 12 weeks off. When I go back I"m only going back for two days a week for a few months so I won't just leave her all at once.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I think it depends a lot on your job. I teach and am due early December and will probably work until Thanksgiving Break. Two weeks before the due date seems pretty standard for teachers in my district. When I had my old office accounting job, so many colleagues went from balancing the books during the day to being in labor that night.

I'm sure no matter what, it's never enough time... To prep or to bond with baby. Given the choice, I'd work as long as possible then take that "extra" time once baby is here.
  • cdbarger
    cdbarger Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    With my first I left work in the middle of the day and had my son about 8 hours later. I was teaching school and he was born the day before Christmas Break so I was able to get some extra "free" time off with him.

My daughter was born in the summer, so I was already on a break and only had to take a couple weeks off at the beginning of the school year.

I was glad that I didn't use any of my maternity leave before the baby was born, but I also had pretty easy pregnancies.

If you are feeling like you need to take off early, then do it. Good luck!
  • Chapnau
    Chapnau Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Man... reading this, I feel so very fortunate to be in Canada! I will be taking a full year.

My old boss worked until 5pm Friday and went into labour before bed that night. I didn't like the sounds of that... so I left last time at 38 weeks and was 2 weeks late - ack! Let's just say my house was very clean. Even so, my automatic response whenever anyone asks this type of question is to encourage them to take a little time off beforehand, because it really is uncomfortable and only semi-productive in those final weeks. I'll probably aim for 37-38 weeks this time as well. However, if I only had 12 weeks, I'd probably try to work for as long as I could.

I guess the best advice, since these little ones don't adhere to any kind of civilized, pre-arranged schedule (!) is to just listen to your body. If you need a break beforehand, take it. Bonding is important, but it takes place over a lifetime. :)
  • kimberly_grubbs
    kimberly_grubbs Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My maternity leave isn't paid either and I don't want to take off earlier as I'm scared I could end up being late too. The plan is to work until I have this little girl so I can spend as much time home with her as I can. I've been getting super tired, but I'd rather it this way than take off early. Good luck deciding whats best for you!! :flowerforyou:
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky to be a teacher and lucky to be in the UK. I will have July and August off, full pay, because it's the school holidays, DS2 is due on September 8th, so I'll start maternity leave on the first day back for teachers, August 31st. I then get 90% pay for 6 weeks, followed by statutory maternity pay. I hope to go back on the pay roll in July 2014, before starting back actually working in September 2014. So, total, I'll have 14 months without working, 4 months with full pay, 9 months with some kind of maternity pay and just one month unpaid. I feel very, very lucky when I see that the norm in the states is so little time off.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky to be a teacher and lucky to be in the UK. I will have July and August off, full pay, because it's the school holidays, DS2 is due on September 8th, so I'll start maternity leave on the first day back for teachers, August 31st. I then get 90% pay for 6 weeks, followed by statutory maternity pay. I hope to go back on the pay roll in July 2014, before starting back actually working in September 2014. So, total, I'll have 14 months without working, 4 months with full pay, 9 months with some kind of maternity pay and just one month unpaid. I feel very, very lucky when I see that the norm in the states is so little time off.

We really have a very long way to go in this area. In my opinion we are failing mothers and families by not having any real maternity leave policy. Here you are LUCKY to get 12 weeks, beyond that you have no job protection and you only get that if your company qualifies for FMLA. The worst part is that in this economy it can be difficult to live off of one income and a lot of employers are not willing to offer flexible working arrangements like part time hours or work from home options. I had to threaten to leave to get my hours reduced. :(

Basically, I would LOVE to be a pregnant woman in Europe or Canada!!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

We really have a very long way to go in this area. In my opinion we are failing mothers and families by not having any real maternity leave policy. Here you are LUCKY to get 12 weeks, beyond that you have no job protection and you only get that if your company qualifies for FMLA. The worst part is that in this economy it can be difficult to live off of one income and a lot of employers are not willing to offer flexible working arrangements like part time hours or work from home options. I had to threaten to leave to get my hours reduced. :(

Basically, I would LOVE to be a pregnant woman in Europe or Canada!!

Here you get maternity/paternity leave if you weren't already pregnant when you started the job. You have the right to return to the exact same job after up to 6 months and an equivalent job up to a year. You also have the right, as a parent, to ask for flexible working arrangements (part time etc) and your company has a duty to consider it, but not to agree to it. Maternity leave can also be shared between two parents now, but not at the same time, for up to a year.

With the government cutting costs left, right and centre though, this may well change...