Introduction

Options
13»

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Hi gang! I'm 51 and living in Northern Ireland.

I used to hate running. But I made myself go out and do it, usually accompanied by my big dog, Max. Last year I ran 2 lots of 10k races, and this year signed up for my first half-marathon. It's in Lisburn on 19 June. My 12 week training programme has just kicked in, and I'll be doing 4 runs a week. I always do a long run on Sundays, and for the past 3 weeks I've done a Park Run on Saturday mornings - this is a timed 5k run at a local park, so I intend to use that as my tempo run. Last week was a PB at 33.40 - not very fast, but I have little short legs, and getting to a sub-30 minute 5k time is a distant target!

Great to get advice from other novice half-marathoners :smile:
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I started C25K in January 2013 and graduated mid March. I've been very consistent with my run sessions, managing to run every other day throughout the plan. After I graduated, I got stuck on 3 x 30 min runs pw for a few weeks and then decided to challenge myself a bit more by extending every other run by a few minutes, until I could run for 60 mins, without stopping. This is as far as I've got to date.

I ran my first 5K event in Munich last Sunday and found the whole experience amazing. I ran the course in 33.42 seconds. I'm keen to register for a 10K event happening in July (in Munich) and need to get some structure to my training. Any advice on how to achieve this would be great. I was thinking of running for 10 mins, walk for 1 and just repeat until I build on the time. Is this how one might train for a 10K? Also, is it ok to run 2 days in a row, bearing in mind I only run on average for 40 mins. Lastly, is speed training something I should do regularly. I attempted one a few weeks ago and found it difficult. There were 6 x 1 mins fast bursts in between my normal running pace. I managed to complete 5 of the speed sessions but should I do them more often?.

Through this process I've also lost 39lb and running is so much easier than when I first started. I'm not looking to lose weight so much now as I'm happy where I'm at which is 143lb. I just want to keep running and entering more events :happy:

Any advice appreciated, thanks for reading.
    Anne
  • samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I smoked behind the bike sheds and never did any sports at all until my Dad got ill - my children were small (2 and 6 months) and I was having to do a lot of driving to look after Dad so I began running as something that would get me outside and not take too much time. When he died I ran the Hastings Half Marathon in his memory (and came over the finishing line in floods of tears!) but when my Mum died a couple of years later I kind of fell out of it - looking back on it I think I was a bit depressed. Anyway I put on quite a bit of weight and last year (3 years since Mum died) I thought I've got to snap out of it and I started running again. Then disaster struck, I was running in the woods and I slipped on some mud and tree roots and sprained my ankle very badly...it took me about 3 hours to hop three miles to where I could get some help by which point I had hypothermia (it was november and I only had a running vest on). The whole thing shook me quite badly. I was told I wouldn't be able to run for three months. I knew in my heart that if I had weighed less I wouldn't have hurt myself so badly so I decided to loose some weight while I was waiting for my ankle to heal. What I didn't realise is that the lighter you are the faster you can run. I can now run faster than I have ever done before and I'm really hoping to run a 10 km (on June 8th) under an hour (I'm in my mid-40's).
  • samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I started C25K in January 2013 and graduated mid March. I've been very consistent with my run sessions, managing to run every other day throughout the plan. After I graduated, I got stuck on 3 x 30 min runs pw for a few weeks and then decided to challenge myself a bit more by extending every other run by a few minutes, until I could run for 60 mins, without stopping. This is as far as I've got to date.

I ran my first 5K event in Munich last Sunday and found the whole experience amazing. I ran the course in 33.42 seconds. I'm keen to register for a 10K event happening in July (in Munich) and need to get some structure to my training. Any advice on how to achieve this would be great. I was thinking of running for 10 mins, walk for 1 and just repeat until I build on the time. Is this how one might train for a 10K? Also, is it ok to run 2 days in a row, bearing in mind I only run on average for 40 mins. Lastly, is speed training something I should do regularly. I attempted one a few weeks ago and found it difficult. There were 6 x 1 mins fast bursts in between my normal running pace. I managed to complete 5 of the speed sessions but should I do them more often?.

Through this process I've also lost 39lb and running is so much easier than when I first started. I'm not looking to lose weight so much now as I'm happy where I'm at which is 143lb. I just want to keep running and entering more events :happy:

Any advice appreciated, thanks for reading.
    Anne
    Have a look at the Run Keeper app, it's free and if you go on to their website they have a lot of training programmes that you can download onto your phone, I'm using the 10km in under 60mins one and its very hard but good :)
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm the girl who always said I would only run if being chased by a crazed maniac, or if I was about to miss my bus / plane / etc.

Fast forward to Summer 2012. Hubby and I are HUGE Disney fans. If it is Disney related, we want to do it. After 17 WDW trips, I discivered runDisney. An entire genre of Disney things to do and Disney bling to aquire ... if only I ran. Labor Day weekend we started C25k. I finished the last weekend of December and immediatly moved on to 5k to 10k. I can comforably maintain 10.30 miles for 3 / 3.5 miles. We have completed two 5ks - the Susan G Komen Run for a Cure last October and a holiday 5k for cancer reserch in December. We are registered to do the runDisney Family "Haunted" 5k this coming October. I'd love to do it under 30 minutes, but with a course full of families with kids, it might be tricky manuevering around them all. :-)

Long term goal is to get a runDisney Coast to Coast medal. You have to do a 1/2 marathon or a full marathon at both Disney World and Disneyland in the same calendar year.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    H ieveryone, I just joined the group. I'm definitely a plodder! I've never been in shape, and right now it's worse. So I'm starting again. My story? Well, I was inspired (and encouraged) to start running several years ago by my marathoner hubby. That first time, I couldn't go 1/4 mile! I slowly got better and have done several local 5Ks, a 10K, a half marathon and some sprint triathlons. A few years ago I started running less and focusing more on cycling, at least until I got injured. I've been pretty lazy since. This year, my goals are to 1) run an entire 5K and 2) complete a 10K. Next year I would like to do a half marathon.

Anyone who wants to add me as a friend is welcome to! I love to hear about other's runs/races - it really motivates me!

Carol
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Just came back to MFP, so I'm "starting fresh", but I ran my first 5K (a fun "Color Run") this past weekend -- I should say, walked/jogged/sprinted, not ran -- and immediately downloaded C25K and bought new running shoes. It was a great experience and I can't wait to try again once I'm actually ready for it. Love to hear any advice for a new runner... I've never really done it before.

Always happy to add supportive friends too, so toss me an invite if you like!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have always loved to run. I even ran a bit when I was 250lbs (I'm 5'4" female) but when I seriously decided to get healthier a few years ago, I was determined oneday to run a whole mile. I did the C25K program the first time 4 years ago and did a 5k charity run. I ran 4 miles once. I stopped running when winter hit. Repeat the following spring. This year I decided to get fit and trim once and for all since I am turning 50. No more of this putting on the winter pudge and struggling all summer to lose it. I began running a bit outdoors in January. We have "real" winter here so I was limited to the amount of road that was safe to run on. I was forced to start really slowly and for short distances, and because of that progressed slowly and avoided any injury. I ran 7 kms the other day and hope to get 10k by my birthday in the fall. Bike season is here so I will have to split the workout time with my other passion. I no longer find getting out of bed at 5:30am to run a chore. I guess I'm addicted. Glad to have found this group for support and advice.
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm pretty new to running, having just started about 2 months or so ago, since after losing almost 80lbs since last May, with the help of MFP (and Jillian Michaels DVDs and clean eating!) I thought i'd sign up for my first 5k that's happening at the end of this month - it's an annual Memorial run for a fallen police officer here that was killed in the line of duty 26 years ago.

So because I thought 'i'm fit and healthy enough to give this a try', and signed up for it, I thought i'd start 'training' for the 5k. in the last few weeks, with the help of a co-worker who's a veteran runner giving me advice and the two of us going for runs together a couple times, i've run 5k about 3 or 4 times so far, 10k once, 8k just yesterday, and 6k on Monday. So now I know the memorial 5k should be a breeze!

I want to work up to taking part in my first 'official' 10k next year (an annual 'Sun Run' here) and then eventually work my way up to a half and then a full marathon.

I've NEVER thought of myself as a runner, and prior to about 2 months ago when I started, it never even crossed my mind - but now I LOVE it!! i am amazed how much I'm enjoying it!
  • ambie1111
    ambie1111 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am new to the group and wanted to tell my story. I've been athletic most of my life, gymnastics for 9 years, cross country, volleyball, and track for 6 years. Then life happened as it does for everyone. In the last ten years I've gone to college, lost my mother to cancer, moved across the country, got married, and found out my dad has ALS. I've gotten comfortable and lazy and let myself go. I've realized that life's too short and I want to make a change. So I've started to eat healthier and run again for the first time in ten years. I'm training to run the Disney princess half marathon in February and couldn't be more excited! I'm ready to do something with my life I'm proud of! I'm also excited to hear everyone else's successes!
  • stephanieogle35
    Options
    Hi all, I'll do my intro, too! I'm 30 years old and a SAHM who also does in-home daycare. I started running about 15 months ago, because my sister wanted me to do a 5K with her. I did the 5K and promptly stopped running. Repeated that about 6 months later when my mom wanted to do a 5K. This past January I realized I had about 40 lbs to lose, and after having watched my dad lose over 130 lbs and run 3 half-marathons, I decided maybe I could start running *for me*. I just completed a 5K on Saturday in my very best time ever (28:01!), and am hoping to do a 10K by the end of the summer. Someday I might start training for a half marathon, but that thought is quite intimidating to me, so right now I'm focusing on the 10K. I run in the evenings, usually 2-3 times per week, once my kids are in bed. I find it very therapeutic and I hope that my daughter is learning that it's okay for mommy to do something just for herself after taking care of everyone else all day. I sometimes joke that I don't love running so much as the way I feel after a run. One of the reasons I worry about doing a 10K and/or half marathon is because my schedule makes it hard to run consistently any more than twice a week, and getting to those distances seems like it would take real time and commitment. Maybe someday I'll get there, but right now I'm just putting one foot in front of the other until I can cross the 10K mark :)