Maybe daft questions from a newbie!

Options
Utahgirl12
Utahgirl12 Posts: 172 Member
Hi all,

I've just ordered the book and I'm waiting for it to come from the US.

I've got two questions so far......maybe you kind people can help?

1. I've got a gym membership that has a good free weights section as well as a weights machines section (if you know what i mean?). Where would I do these exercises, free weights or machines or can i choose? I'm a bit scared at the thought of putting a heavy free weight on my shoulders to squat with. I did that with 10kg yesterday, but now I see people starting with 65kg??? OMG! I would feel a lot happier and safer doing it with a machine so i can't drop it!

2. I've downloaded the Maggie Wang stuff. Does anyone know what the macros are set as so that i can change mine on MFP? I have no idea as to how I can increase my protein levels. I don't eat meat but do eat fish and dairy. I thought I had a good day today at 95g, but see I will need to up that to around 185g. Yikes!

I'm really excited but very scared at doing this. Can't wait for my book to come so I can read through it.

Please help me on my journey!

lucy

Replies

• collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    aost all of the moves are done on free weights, im going into stage 2 the first week of june, and I will say that stage one is all free weights, if you don't feel comfortable doing squats with heavy amounts , start low, I was fresh off the "stronglift 5x5 "program and I was squatting 95 lbs then when I started nrol I dropped it down to 40lbs so I could build back up, im currently back up to 90.. any way. listen to your body and it will keep you informed!
  • RRRobynnn
    RRRobynnn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm about half way through Stage 1, so still relatively new to all of this. I'm doing the program at home and started out with just using hand weights. I know that I could have lifted more right off the bat, but I wanted to take it slowly and give myself room to improve. I've since picked up dumbells and a barbell set and extra weights so I can continue to push myself.

I was struggling with getting enough protein until I started making smoothies with whey protein powder. Each scoop of powder is 26g of protein, add in a 1/2c milk and it's up to 30. I was initially only making them on lifting days, but now I have one every day.
  • Utahgirl12
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. What should I set my macros at if I follow the Maggie Wang spreadsheets?
  • RRRobynnn
    RRRobynnn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The spreadsheets are set to 1 gram of protein for each pound you weigh. I have mine set at 40% protein and 30% fat and carbs.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    1. You really should use free weights. Free weights engage stabalizing muscles that are important. Machines take away the need to use those stabalizing muscles.

NOTE: Proper form is essential. If you are unsure (as I was), I highly recommend getting a trainer to make sure you are doing things correctly. I don't use mine for every single workout, but I see her at the beginning of each stage to give me the okay on my form. If my form needs work, I meet with her until I have it down. :)

2. I'm not familiar with the spreadsheet you are referring to, but I set my MFP to be 40% carbs / 30% protein / 30% fat.

I hope this helps and welcome to NROL4W!!! You are going to love it :D
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    http://maggiewang.com/2008/05/20/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-diet-calculator-and-workout-logs -- is this the spreadsheet that you use? i use it too, it's so helpful!
  • Utahgirl12
    Options
    Yes, that is the one I think I'm going to use. My book hasn't arrived yet, but did a 30 min weights session after my 30 mins cardio in the gym tonight. boy did the weights session make me sweat more! Looking forward to starting it, but very nervous. I was only lifting 8 kg where others are talking about lifting 64 lol!