Ready to cry- need some encouragement!

Options
indiechickuk
indiechickuk Posts: 14 Member
So I read everything, did all the maths, and worked way up to near enough TDEE (ever so slightly under but getting there) - its taken me a couple of months to get to this point (previously around 1300, now 2000-2200)...

Today I go to the gym- firstly was proud of myself as I reached two new personal bests with my lifting, but then I stupidly go and weigh myself - am now up 7lbs since I started this process.

I know I'm doing this for a reason, and it is nice to eat, but it's terrifying :-(

(and my fiancées away so no one to give me a hug and tell me to be strong)

Sorry- just needed to vent!

Replies

• skrentz
    skrentz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    HUG HUG HUG!!
    I know how you feel! I keep hearing this is a process. Stick with it. The strength gains alone are a super way to track progress, though not visual (bummer I know). Great job on that. Lifting is such a great thing for your body, keep it up!
    How are your clothes fitting? Have you taken measurements or before pictures? I keep getting that advice and have done so myself. It can be a great way to see changes even if the scale does not agree.
  • ldefrancisco
    Options
    **HUGS!!** I am right there with you! On day 2 of my cut after resetting. It has been ugly. Overall I think I "gained" about 8 pounds, but the scale had been steadily climbing before the reset too (no matter how much I cut or increased exercise I was gaining - which led me to research why and find this group!). I am, however, lifting heavier than I ever have, which is great. I, too, am bad about taking measurements and pics. I do check my BF% and it has gone down a smidge (less than 1%). My goal for this week is to take measurements again and let my hubby take my "after reset" pics tonight. EEK!!!!

I know this is hard, but I was at the end of my rope and am hoping this is the common sense approach I have missed out on all these years. All I know is that my body was telling me something. 5 years of being in constant caloric deficits with non stop steady state cardio I think did it in. So now I am going through the healing process. We have to be patient. We have to trust the process. We have to believe in ourselves and that this will work. What I was doing before over and over wasn't working, so I had to find a different way. Hang in there and please know there are many of us right there with you! I told my hubby the other night I felt like a large, thick marshmallow (and who finds marshmallows sexy??!!??) :laugh:
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! In the first two weeks of eating more I gained almost 8lbs...maybe more bc I refused to weigh myself after the 1st 8lbs. BUT trust us...it does work.

After two months, I lost the 8 had gained (which I don't like to count) plus 8 lbs more...which has averaged me about a 1lb a week.

I've read there's a 4 - 6 week curve if you've been eating at a really high deficit for a really long time.

I had my hubby hide the scale and took pics and measurements....I would advise you do the same.

You can do this!!! :D
  • indiechickuk
    indiechickuk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies- they've really helped. Gonna take measurements tonight and keep reminding myself this is a long term improvement process not a temporary activity...

And marshmallows may not be sexy, but they're sweet and fun and good to squeeze so it's not the worst thing in the world!
  • Tan43
    Tan43 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Throw those scales away!!! You are more than a number. You are working towards being a strong healthy woemn so you go girl!!:heart:
  • jtmurph7
    jtmurph7 Posts: 83
    Options
    I am right there with you...I lost 35 lbs lifting weights and cardio and eating around 1200 calories a day then I stopped lifting and was doing just cardio (BIG MISTAKE) I thought it would help me loose the last 10lbs. I started gaining weight even though I was hardly eating and doing cardio. In 2 years I gained almost 20lbs. I couldn't believe it I was hardly eating and I was running and doing zumba and gaining weight. I knew I had to do something when I found MFP. I wasn't on here long when I found EM2WL I started reading all I could and it made since. I decided to do a reset . IT WAS SO GOOD TO EAT!!!! I ate at TDEE 2065 for 8 weeks. I am wondering if I should have gone longer but my weight stabilized so I thought I should cut. I gained 7lbs during my reset. I am only 5' tall there is not a lot of room to add more weight. My clothes are to tight I feel so bloated.I started my cut 3 weeks ago and have yet to loose any of the weight I gained I have not lost any inches either. I am stronger and I am starting to see muscle definition in my arms and shoulders. I am also feeling a little less jiggly in my legs:laugh: I really believe this is going to work. I know it is going to be a long journey. I am determined to keep eating and lifting!!!
    Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
    Tammy
  • DesignerToast
    Options
    Keep going!! I'm on my first week of cutting after a reset and the lack of "progress" is hard. I gained about 5-7 pounds (stopped weighing myself after 5) and it ALL went to my hips and stomach so I know it's going to be slow to go. But I'm doing strength training now and looking forward to getting stronger, and moving my focus to that is helping. I never want to be in a place where I under eat and run like crazy thinking I'll see results (though I adore running and can't wait to go back when I feel ready). Ultimately, you're doing the right thing so hang in there!

And marshmallows are delicious. Delicious can be sexy. :)
    I'm trying to embrace this "softer" me and tell myself that sleeping better, having more energy and feeling stronger than ever are totally worth it (works most days!).
  • neetneetneets
    neetneetneets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Reading this is so encouraging! I'm in the same boat ... eating more but terrified of gaining and undoing all the hard work. And my 'eating more' brain has yet to catch up to my 'eating more of the right thing' brain. I top up cals with bad stuff instead of adding more into my snacks and meals. RRrrrr. I've been in this mindset for so long it's hard to change! Cals are currently at 1640, but I know there's a bit of leeway there for things I just can't be bothered logging so really I'm probably eating 1700-1800. It's the habits that need to change as well for me...