Heart rate montiors

Options
ruwise
ruwise Posts: 265 Member
Hi All

Wonder if anybody can help me with a question about these. Some people seem to have ones that they can wear all day and I really like the idea of this. I'm sick of guessing whether MFP is accurate or not. I do a lot of walking and use the Map My Walk app which always gives me way more calories than MFP and MFP is meant to be generous. I've also just started the couch to 5 k programme and as I should eat back my calories would like a better idea of exactly what I am burning.

Does anybody know a good reliable brand that doesn't cost the earth and is easily available in the UK.

Replies

• kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    HRMs aren't really intended to be worn all day, they're best for when you're doing set periods of cardio, like say an aerobics class, going for a run or possibly a long walk/hike. For general walking around, a pedometer would work better, one a bit more advanced than just counting steps.

For a HRM I have a Polar FT4 and use that for when I'm doing my Tae Kwon Do classes and running. That's in addition to a Fitbit, which is a souped up pedometer, counting steps, calculating a calorie burn, monitor sleeping patterns and whole host of other features and is meant to be worn all day.

You can find out more about the Fitbit from their site www.fitbit.com and the group on MFP http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1290-fitbit-users
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    HRMs aren't really intended to be worn all day, they're best for when you're doing set periods of cardio, like say an aerobics class, going for a run or possibly a long walk/hike. For general walking around, a pedometer would work better, one a bit more advanced than just counting steps.

For a HRM I have a Polar FT4 and use that for when I'm doing my Tae Kwon Do classes and running. That's in addition to a Fitbit, which is a souped up pedometer, counting steps, calculating a calorie burn, monitor sleeping patterns and whole host of other features and is meant to be worn all day.

You can find out more about the Fitbit from their site www.fitbit.com and the group on MFP http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1290-fitbit-users

^^ Exactly this! ^^
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I get the impression that fitbit is just as much guesswork as MFP so probably not for me.
  • cattrill
    cattrill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When using MapMyRun or Runkeeper etc, have you entered your personal details.. sound stupid but when I first downloaded it I just left it at the original settings.. it can take your weight and gender etc into consideration and may help make it more accurate!
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have a "Body Media" / Ki fit. This is expensive but is meant to be worn all day every day and gives a good indication of total calorie burn etc. It can even tell the difference between arm curls and walking. (it is worn on the arm), takes a few days to "learn" what you do. It gives a much better value for calorie burn when cycling which none of the others seem to do.
  • r1skbreak3r
    r1skbreak3r Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is pretty accurate for things like walking, there are various reviews online that say it's one of the most accurate of that type of device. I have one and also have a Polar HRM. I've compared the two when I play badminton and the calorie burn is pretty similar on both, so I do think Fitbit works well.

Where it doesn't do so well is for things like weight lifting/yoga where you aren't moving your whole body round as often but are still burning calories.
  • squankmuffin
    squankmuffin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4. It's not got some of the fancy features of the other models, but it seems to be pretty accurate. It's also not too pricey. I use it every day, but not for the whole day.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I have a "Body Media" / Ki fit. This is expensive but is meant to be worn all day every day and gives a good indication of total calorie burn etc. It can even tell the difference between arm curls and walking. (it is worn on the arm), takes a few days to "learn" what you do. It gives a much better value for calorie burn when cycling which none of the others seem to do.

I got mine cheaper on eBay. You have to use kifit in the UK unless you have a friend with a bank account with a USA address.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I've got a fit bit and have found it accurate as you're ever going to get for full day wear, I have a polar FT7 which I wear for periods where I'm exercising, I've linked runkeeper, fitbit and my fitness pal together so they all talk together and give me a good overview of what I'm doing and how I'm doing.