deadlift help

Options
FluffyDogsRule
FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
A few weeks ago (maybe a month ago???) I was just feeling my DLs in my back...I knew my form was off so I researched, watched videos, practiced without weight, and majorly deloaded to "start over" doing them correctly.

I've been GREAT since then...feeling them in my legs (a little in my back, but I think this is normal?). I progressed and progressed, then I put on 5 more pounds last Friday, I only felt it in my back again. Took the 5 off b/c I'm super afraid of a back injury. Did great without them. Put them back on for today's workout and only my back again!!!

What's the difference with these measly 5 pounds?? I can do 5x5 in perfect form without them, so I should be able to go up. But I can hardly get through 1x5 with them. Do you think it's mental?? How worried do I need to be about a back injury? If it'll just be a very sore back, that's something I can handle, but...don't want to mess around with injuries. Plus I'd like my DLs to work my legs.

I can feel my form slipping with these extra 5. I guess my gut says just do another week without them and try again?? Thoughts?

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    where in your back? I typically feel them more in my upper back than my legs, when I go heavy, because my back is a lot weaker than my legs. I would say if it doesn't feel like an INJURY pain, if its just stiff/sore, try again at that weight and pay a lot of attention to how well you feel your form is. If it still seems good, I wouldn't worry about it unless the pain is around your spine -- if its muscular soreness though, that's normal.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    Options
    My middle and lower back...and I can tell my form isn't quite right, even though I REALLY think it is correct 5 pounds lighter. Like my legs are already straight but then I still have to lift my back upright. And I know that's wrong.

I'll try to REALLY talk myself up before I do them next time...try to feel super confident and just go for it. I do think it's just muscular.

It just feels SO MUCH HEAVIER.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing. It's amazing how much difference 5 lbs can make, even during deadlifts which is by far the highest weight I do!
  • MrsBach
    MrsBach Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I believe dead lifts are a back exercise and you're supposed to feel it there.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    What's the difference with these measly 5 pounds?? I can do 5x5 in perfect form without them, so I should be able to go up. But I can hardly get through 1x5 with them. Do you think it's mental?? How worried do I need to be about a back injury? If it'll just be a very sore back, that's something I can handle, but...don't want to mess around with injuries. Plus I'd like my DLs to work my legs.

Are you really doing 5x5 or is that a typo? Most people only do one work set of deadlifts. It's so hard to maintain form for that many reps.
  • tameko2
    Options

Are you really doing 5x5 or is that a typo? Most people only do one work set of deadlifts. It's so hard to maintain form for that many reps.

oh yeah i missed that. ARe you doing 5x5?

you should do warmup sets and then 1x5 of your work set.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I believe dead lifts are a back exercise and you're supposed to feel it there.

deadlifts should strengthen your hamstrings, glutes and whole posterior chain, but you shouldnt "feel it" in your lower/middle back as that is a sign your form is bad.

if you post a video we can critique you, a lot of people raise their glutes before the pull should actually happen. your initial pull should be mostly from the knees so your hips keep your back at the same angle, getting your knees out of the way of the bar, the second pull is when your knees and glutes straighten to get full extension (also when your back is more protected.) also, take a deep breath in before your pull from the ground to help support and stabilize your core.

rippletoe has some good info if you aren't a crazy powerlifter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFXYTU and tate has some great stuff for more advanced lifters.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    Options
    Thank you!! Yes, I'm definitely doing this (what booya said) with the extra 5. But I really do only feel my form slipping with this extra 5.

Also, the eat, train, progress group recommended that i increase DLs to 5x5 as I can't do "real" squats b/c no squat rack. I do front squats ATG, DB lunges, and 5x5 DLs for leg work. Maybe I should reconsider? Or just do 1x5 at my max and make the others higher warm-up sets?
  • tameko2
    Options
    Thank you!! Yes, I'm definitely doing this (what booya said) with the extra 5. But I really do only feel my form slipping with this extra 5.

Also, the eat, train, progress group recommended that i increase DLs to 5x5 as I can't do "real" squats b/c no squat rack. I do front squats ATG, DB lunges, and 5x5 DLs for leg work. Maybe I should reconsider? Or just do 1x5 at my max and make the others higher warm-up sets?

I would do that - do your warmups leading up to the last set but don't do a full set of 5x5 at the new weight.

Also - what does your rest time between sets look like? And between reps, what do you do? Do you stop and reset the bar (as in, take your hands off it, straighten up, and then reposition yourself?) If you don't, then you should do that. And if you dont' take at least 2 minutes of rest between sets, do that too.

So, look at rest and resetting before you go to 1x5, but if you already do all that then yeah, more sets at lower weights, only one set at the top.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    Options
    I do chin-ups (well...negatives...haha) and push-ups in between sets. But I did NOT know I was supposed to be readjusting in between reps!! I use stacked plates since I only have up to 10 pound weights, so I just pile those on...but anyway, I stack plates to get the correct height. I just let it hit the plates and immediately pull back up. The bar would just roll right off if I let go though.

Hmmm...I can at least "hang out" at the bottom for a second and readjust my grip. Don't think I can stand up though.
  • tameko2
    Options
    I do chin-ups (well...negatives...haha) and push-ups in between sets. But I did NOT know I was supposed to be readjusting in between reps!! I use stacked plates since I only have up to 10 pound weights, so I just pile those on...but anyway, I stack plates to get the correct height. I just let it hit the plates and immediately pull back up. The bar would just roll right off if I let go though.

Hmmm...I can at least "hang out" at the bottom for a second and readjust my grip. Don't think I can stand up though.

Maybe put a foot on it or something and stand up - itshouldn't take too much pressure to keep it from moving.

But that that's most certainly the reason then - touch and go reps are very hard to maintain for form.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    Options
    I will do that from now on. Thank you so much!
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i love touch and go... if you can do them with good form why not?? that way when you get to the bottom position your body already has the torque built up and the slack taken out making subsequent pulls easier. the hardest deadlift for me is always the 1st one in a set (and sometimes the last few if im pushing it really hard- silly 200 lbs, im 2.5 pounds away and just can't get it :sad: )

another website that is awesome and has AMAZING videos to help with mobility for deads, squats, lunges, arms, literally everything is mobilitywod.com seriously amazing. he is a PT that does functional therapy- i know he has a video about deadlifts and it literally added 15 pounds to my lift.
  • tameko2
    Options
    i love touch and go... if you can do them with good form why not?? that way when you get to the bottom position your body already has the torque built up and the slack taken out making subsequent pulls easier. the hardest deadlift for me is always the 1st one in a set (and sometimes the last few if im pushing it really hard- silly 200 lbs, im 2.5 pounds away and just can't get it :sad: )

another website that is awesome and has AMAZING videos to help with mobility for deads, squats, lunges, arms, literally everything is mobilitywod.com seriously amazing. he is a PT that does functional therapy- i know he has a video about deadlifts and it literally added 15 pounds to my lift.

I also love touch and go or rather I like that its faster, and I do them at lower weights and for my warmups, but for my heavy sets I put the weight down and reset. Since Kate has explicitly stated that she can't maintain form with touch and go at her new weight, its appropriate for her to reset there.