IT'S WORKING, IT'S WORKING!

Options
ElizabethKalmbach
ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
So, I've been eating at maintenance (TDEE 2100 calories per day - averaged over the week.) for a while, while trying to get my health problems sorted out. I have not gained any weight in the last 8 weeks of trying to eat at maintenance...

Three weeks ago, we finally figured out what my problem was (B12 deficiency anemia) and started treating me for it with B12 shots. I've had some bumps in the last week, but THIS WEEK, my weight dropped from 157.5 to 150.5 LIKE MAGIC. I averaged my calories for the week, and I was eating about 2079 calories per day.

I'm going to drop my eating back by 15-20% now (I am not anal about these numbers, as I still have appetite problems - which you can see in the way my feeding pattern fluctuates...) and shoot for about 1750 calories per day, and see if I can break this health and weight loss plateau!

The reason I am dropping my calories now is that I want to get over the 150 lb MONSTER HUMP that I've been stuck on for 6 months. I realize that the weight I dropped in the last three days is likely a large percentage water, but also, in weighing myself daily since before Christmas, I have NEVER ONCE SEEN ANYTHING LOWER THAN 152. So. My metabolism is normalizing and I'm pressing forward to losing again!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So just be aware, you lost mainly water weight, perhaps some fat too.
    But that probably means you were not at TDEE level of eating.
    You wouldn't really know.

So suggest you stick to the 15% instead of possibly making the deficit bigger and that has negative effect.
  • tomii13
    tomii13 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    how did you find out its b12 deficiency?
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    Options
    I'm aware that probably as much as 5 lbs of that is water weight, even still, I haven't hit anything lower than 152 in the last 6 months. On the other hand... I have abs all of a sudden that weren't present a week ago.

The calories I was eating had been maintenance... But now that I have enough B12, I am actually losing on them. That means I can probably go up in calories for future maintenance, but for now, I want to go down just a bit and lose until I'm FIRMLY at 148... I've been fighting the 150's for so long... >_<
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    Options
    I eventually talked my doctor into full bloodwork because I stopped getting my period, in addition to my stupidly low RMR. After demonstrating that I had done my research and wasn't eating like a fool, she agreed that something was wrong and effecting my metabolism, either hormonally or nutritionally. I was surprised that it was a vitamin deficiency, since I eat a well balanced diet. Apparently it's a common thing for people with hypothyroidism.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Since you dropped some weight at 2100 calories, why don't you just take a small cut of 100-200 and hold there to see how you fair. You could possibly lose at 1900 instead of such a steep cut of 1750.