Paleo without grassfed meat.

Options
So I know it is recommended to eat grass fed meats when eating Paleo but they are really hard to find where I live, there is only one market that sells them and they are incredibly expensive. A 1lb package of ground beef is $10. So we have been buying meat from a grocery store that comes from a local farm and it says its all natural and doesn't contain any additives, but is grain fed. I was trying to research online to see how badly this will affect us and cannot find much. I came across a couple forums where people were saying if you don't eat grass fed you have to get your omega 3's (maybe it said 6's, but think it was 3's) somewhere else to make up for it and its bad for you. Does anyone eat grain fed meats? Are they really that bad?

Replies

• justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I have no access to any grass fed/ grass finished meat..I normally eat more lamb than anything else and the beef I eat is supposedly antibiotic free/hormone free..
    If you look up whole 30 on a budget they mention the better choices to make.Apparently chicken is one of the worst things to eat non organic.Also,the fat is where all the toxins are held in the animal when it's not grass fed/finished,therefore,choose less fatty cuts and fry them in good butter to make up the fat.
    here is the link for whole 30 on a budget
    http://whole9life.com/2011/01/paleo-poor-your-guide-to-the-grocery-store/
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have no real access to grassfed animal products either. I just buy the standard stuff. I feel fine. Maybe I'd feel better with grassfed, maybe I wouldn't. It's not any worse than eating SAD to begin with, though. That's for damn sure.
  • deanna198888
    Options
    I have no real access to grassfed animal products either. I just buy the standard stuff. I feel fine. Maybe I'd feel better with grassfed, maybe I wouldn't. It's not any worse than eating SAD to begin with, though. That's for damn sure.

Is there anything you avoid? I don't really like anything besides beef, pork and poultry and I don't eat any organs.
  • bcd2007
    bcd2007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the stuff is expensive but I think it is worth it. Grass fed meats aren't available where I live small town in the middle of Texas, so I order it online from http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/buy_meat_online.htm

They send it super with ice packs and I have never had problems with getting meat that was thawed, etc.
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I buy organic when I can but typically it's standard meat at our house.
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Is there anything you avoid? I don't really like anything besides beef, pork and poultry and I don't eat any organs.

I eat mostly just beef, pork and poultry. I don't go out of my way to avoid anything in particular.

Mark Sisson seems to think that a fish oil supplement is a good idea if you don't have access to grassfed meat. I've taken the supplements for long periods and not taken the supplements for long periods and haven't really ever noticed a difference. Of course, I never notice differences or correlations with anything I change with my diet. I feel a bit nauseous after consuming enough sugary things but I'm not laid up for days if I eat some bread or whatever. I guess, I just mean to say that I'm not the best yardstick for deciding negative, or positive, effects on such things. I went paleo a few years ago to lose weight. It worked for that. I feel healthier now than before but I never had any noticeable intolerances to SAD food (or it's constituent chemicals)... Other than weight gain, I guess.

So, yeah. Take my experience with a grain of salt, I s'pose. ;)