natural body products.

Options
If you eat Paleo do you also use all natural products on your body? I have been feeling like I am putting too many chemicals on my body. I am no longer putting junk inside my body, yet I am still covering it in products that contain all sorts of chemicals and I want to stop doing that. I have heard of using baking soda and acv for shampoo and conditioner so I am going to give that a try but am unsure of what to use as soap. I would like to make my own hygiene products, I know there are organic washes, makeup, etc but I would rather make them myself if possible.

Any tips on what to use?? I currently use regular shampoo, conditioner, leave in conditioner, makeup, deodorant, lotion, perfume.

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Check this out: http://cavegirleats.com/bodycare/

I totally did the baking soday and ACV for shampoo and conditioner last night (after 2 days of no washing) and my hair looks like I washed it with my usual shampoo.
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as chemical free. Everything that is made of matter in the universe besides electricity is made up of chemicals. Air, water, plants, WE are made up of chemicals. Whether or not they are 'natural' vs synthetically produced makes absolutely no difference, your body cannot tell the difference.
  • deanna198888
    Options
    Check this out: http://cavegirleats.com/bodycare/

I totally did the baking soday and ACV for shampoo and conditioner last night (after 2 days of no washing) and my hair looks like I washed it with my usual shampoo.

Thank you!
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm a dude so I probably can't help you with all the products you ladies tend to use. Probably even more so than most guys, because I'm too anti-social and so indifferent about how I look. But I do have some insight on the more universal products...

I use fluoride-free toothpaste. I don't use soap in the shower anymore. I only use it to wash my hands and such to disinfect. I have shaved my head for ten years and haven't used shampoo for that long anyway, but I wouldn't use it now if I didn't shave. I don't use shaving cream anymore either. That's mainly because I've discovered that it's entirely unnecessary. I do use Arm & Hammer underarm deodorant (the white stick, not green, gel stuff) but will likely start using those "crystal stick" deodorants after my stock of Arm & Hammer is gone.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I use DevaCurl hair care products (curly, thin hair, that's dyed with Naturetint color-- my hairdresser would kill me if I used henna again) and Alterna Bamboo oil, with argan oil on my ends. I was using For Pit's Sake deodorant, but I needed more of the antiperspirant for work, so I'm back to Tom's of Maine, which has aluminum, but since I'm going to die of Alzheimer's and not cancer, meh. I also use Tom's of Maine toothpaste. I use a lot of Lush body products, but I'm not cool about the parabens in them, so I may switch.

I was using Kimberly Sayer face stuff and while it's nice and organic, it does not beat down fine lines like retinol does. I'm not going to list everything that I use on my face, because it's an insane list, but Sephora is great about listing ingredients and what products avoid various chemicals.

There is a website (can't find it at the moment) that reviews various products and indicates how toxic/not they are, and I do use that.

You can make your own soap and lotions (fun!), but for the lotions, they do not keep for long periods, so small batches are best. I do make my own sugar scrubs (brown sugar, white sugar, olive oil) and use them in the shower. Some people are of the coconut oil for everything camp, but it does not work that well for me, though I do use it in things (on it's own, it just does not moisturize like I need).
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Personally, I stopped shampooing my hair every day. I rinse it in the shower every day, and wash it a couple times a week. I use coconut oil in it most days, too. I also use coconut oil as a moisturizer. :) And, I apply it to pits, then use the arm & hammer aluminum-free deodorant. Still has some crap in it, but the aluminum makes me itch, anyway. I've noticed I still sweat (since it's not an anti-perspirant), but since giving up the grains & sugar, I don't stink like I used to when I sweat, lol.

I'd like to switch toothpaste, but haven't found anything available locally to try - but I prefer the non-whitening stuff, as it makes me teeth more sensitive.

Also check out www.wellnessmama.com, she has a lot of tips and homemade recipes for stuff like that!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I am conscientious about everything I do to my body now. The contaminant concern actually came long before I decided to address the diet that was killing me.

(WHAT, manufactured synthetic materials don't matter.... did I really read that in a primal/paleo group... ?)

There are many safer options, but beware that many companies these days are "green-washing" their products. Read the ingredients, then research each and every one. Even many "natural" ingredients are not beneficial. Basically, if I can't eat something then I won't use it on my body. (I could almost get a chemical engineer degree for the time that I've invested in research; all in the name of protecting my family.)

Don't forget to consider contaminants in cleaners and indoor pollution (from carpets, furniture, building materials, emfs, radio waves, children's pajamas, toys, etc etc).

I'm not saying "go live in a cave" (even if I want to do just that) but I do think that AWARENESS matters. And exercising our choice with what we buy. All of these contaminants, while each one individually may be "ok", when combined may have synergistic effects. I think with all of the health problems these days, it matters. Besides, when chemicals are developed and tested they are not required to be tested for synergistic effects with other compounds. Shouldn't they be with thousands of new chemicals developed and put in our products year after year?

Or we just keep trusting that profit-driven industries have only our health and safety in mind while developing new chemicals/products? And don't sick people make the pharma industry a heck of a lot of money too? Oh, but they wouldn't intentionally hurt their customers; yeah sure.
  • asoeung
    asoeung Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As far as deodorant goes, I used to roll my eyes at the "natural" products. I had tried a few of then, including some of the "Jason" brand ones, and still had odor after sweating.
    However, I happened to receive a sample of the Crystal essence deodorant stick in a gift bag, (http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Body-Stick-Deodorant-4-25-Ounce/dp/B001ET764E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369257769&sr=8-1&keywords=crystal+body+stick)
    and I was AMAZED at the results!! The thing is crazy, it is literally a crystal of various minerals that you just moisten with water and rub under your arms.
    I have had NOT ONE issue w/ odor now after using it, and I am even a group fitness instructor teaching several classes a week.
    It is not an anti-perspirant necessarily, so I still get the wet feeling occassionally, but it still seems to help with that too. I never feel like my shirt is soaked, like I would with the other natural products like the Jason line.

I cannot recommend it enough! I'm a true believer now. :)

Other than deodorant, I have cut down on washing my hair, and use a sulfate and paraben-free shampoo when I do.

I have not completely swapped all of my beauty products for natural varieties, but as I run out of regular brand in each one I use, I'm slowly replacing them with more natural versions. Not perfect, but at least I feel better at the end of the day.
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I used natural products way before going primal for everything (cleaning house and body products), i didn't have a choice as i was allergic to everything. i buy natural cleaning products,body wash, shampoo and hand soap. otherwise i use baking soda and lemon to clean things. Baking soda is also good for cleaning your teeth.

I occasionally make my own skincare products. I got given homemade organic lavender infused oil (takes over a year to make) and used it as a base for massage balms, lip balms and hand creams. Organic rose hip oil, coconut and hemp oil are good emulsifiers and are great to use for the base of whatever your are making.

harder to make so buy these brands

hair products Original & Mineral
    nail polish Butter London has a toxic free range
    fake tan Ecotan

Hope that helps.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I have been using natural skincare/deodorant/toothpaste/bath care products for years..long before I was paleo..back whenI was a healthy vegetarian..I have always been interested in natural products.
    There is much info to support not using synthetic chemically based cleaning products as well as body products,etc.
    Everything can be made from natural products.Bi carb,lemon,vinegar,coconut oil,etc..cheaper and far better for the environment.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    My sister went no poo (shampoo) and it worked out well for her, I don't have the luxury of dealing with it until it regulates so I just use regular shampoo but I only wash it once/week. I don't use deodorant and I seem to not smell even when exercising so that works out. I don't wear makeup so that one's easy. I also stopped using tampons and now use the Diva Cup (amazing!) I don't use lotion but if I do want to use something I use coconut oil, it's natural and smells amazing. I can't think of anything else... I don't really use a lot of 'stuff'. Just try going without, you'll be surprised!
  • cali_kid88
    cali_kid88 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Going paleo I too have become more aware of what's going on my body. I make my own Shower soap bars coconut oil based, I use mineral make up, I dry brush my teeth but have a neem based toothpaste if my teeth are feeling really scuzzy, I have bentonite clay that I use for facial masks, I wash my clothes with dr bronners soap, wellness momma has a great deoterant recipe, and I've owned cloth pads since I was 16. I've slowly given up shampoo, lots of people have trouble transitioning to no poo. If your honestly looking into it there are a few other options like shampoo bars or look up terressentials it's does an amazing job of transitioning you off shampoo, but its expensive.

Looking back at my list I honestly feel a little crazy, but I've done it over a few years.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I went Poo-free almost 6 months ago...love it!! I use baking soda/water solution rinse really well then Apple cider vinegar solution to detangle. I have thin fine hair and my hair dresser said recently it looks and feels really healthy!! The transition can be hard, I used a conditioning cleaner called REN, london drugs $10, but I found I had lots of build up....thats where the baking soda came in =) It took me about a week to really get used to not using shampoo or conditioner...just conditioner. Then another week to get used to no conditioner. The only thing I miss is fragrance.
    I changed to Val's organic vegtable based liquid soap for body wash and face wash (dont put it on your hair...feels ucky), and I use pure coconut oil as skin moisturiser. I have not however given up Nutrogena wrinkle defense...not gonna happen.
    I also stopped using toothpaste and started using Toothy Tabs from LUSH...again will never go back!! My favorite is called Dirty =)

I feel pretty good about seriously reducing the amount of chemicals I put onto my body, some of which can cause estrogen disruptions (...affecting girly hormones and the like)
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    great thread! thank you for posting this question! I have been moving in this direction and keep trying to do the no Poo think but give up after 5 days... I'll try the baking soda and ACV soon... just mustering up the guts to do it....
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I also stopped using tampons and now use the Diva Cup (amazing!)

been using the moon cup for years and would NEVER use anything else!
  • deanna198888
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I bought some Braggs acv last night and am going to start my no poo adventure today, I found some mineral makeup for super cheap and bought that as well, I know makeup is not necessary but for now I am not giving it up! I used coconut oil yesterday for deodorant and it worked well, even with it 80 degrees so I am sticking with that. I still used toothpaste today and body wash but will switch soon to natural.
    As far as cleaning is concerned does anyone know anything about babyganics? I have been buying their cleaning products since I have a 8 month old, I want to expose him to as little as possible and they claim to be all natural. I have a lot of their products for both cleaning and for use on his body.
    Also a question for the females, what are your feelings on hormone based contraceptives? I have been on the pill for a month and feel like its making me feeling crappy. I am getting a hormone free IUD next month but until then I am been considering stopping the pill.
  • cali_kid88
    cali_kid88 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Also a question for the females, what are your feelings on hormone based contraceptives? I have been on the pill for a month and feel like its making me feeling crappy. I am getting a hormone free IUD next month but until then I am been considering stopping the pill.

Personally I turn into a monster on the pill and yes even the patch so I haven't used it in months. I had considered an IUD but my friend got bronchitis after she had hers in for a month and it came out from all the coughing. After that I can't even think of having one. I tried to get fitted for a cervical cap or a diaphragm at my last girly check up but they couldn't find the kit and really kept trying to push me to get an IUD.
  • deanna198888
    Options

Personally I turn into a monster on the pill and yes even the patch so I haven't used it in months. I had considered an IUD but my friend got bronchitis after she had hers in for a month and it came out from all the coughing. After that I can't even think of having one. I tried to get fitted for a cervical cap or a diaphragm at my last girly check up but they couldn't find the kit and really kept trying to push me to get an IUD.

Coughed it out??? Holy cow, well hopefully that was a freak occurrence.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    My hubby got fixed. We agreed that if I could go through giving birth to my daughter at home without drugs he would have the vasectomy, WIN! lol
  • deanna198888
    Options
    I don't know if we will have any more or not, I am only 24 so I have plenty of time to make that decision and I lost twins last month at 17 weeks so I need time emotionally and physically to heal. I think right now, especially since going paleo and trying to get healthier inside and out, the copper IUD is the best choice besides natural family planning.