New & confused!

Options
xprplstardust
xprplstardust Posts: 105 Member
Hi! I'm new to NROL4W & I'm so confused on the workouts. This is what I'm getting out of it:

A1, B1, A2 & B2: 2 sets 15 reps each
A3, B3, A4, B4: 2 sets 12 reps each
A5, B5, A6, B6: 3 sets 10 reps each
A7, B7, A8, B8: 3 sets 8 reps each

So I'd be doing 4 workouts a day, with 2 sets of specific reps, alternating between workout A & workout B until I get down to workout 8, the last workout in the workouts.

Okay... So where do the C1/C2 workouts come into play? and what about the alternating sets in B1/B2? So confused. Please help! Thanks!!

Replies

• jkbear40
    jkbear40 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try this link. It has a schedule for stage one.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/938136-just-starting
  • xprplstardust
    Options
    Try this link. It has a schedule for stage one.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/938136-just-starting

^ thanks so much!
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to NROL4W & I'm so confused on the workouts. This is what I'm getting out of it:

So I'd be doing 4 workouts a day, with 2 sets of specific reps, alternating between workout A & workout B until I get down to workout 8, the last workout in the workouts.

Okay... So where do the C1/C2 workouts come into play? and what about the alternating sets in B1/B2? So confused. Please help! Thanks!!

You have the schedule right, but the pace wrong. You should never do more than one "workout" in a day.
    For example:

week 1:
    Sunday-none
    Monday- A1 (2x15 reps)
    Tuesday- none
    Wednesday- B1 (2x15)
    Thursday-none
    Friday- A2 (2x15)
    Saturday-none
    Week 2:
    Sunday-none
    Monday-B2 (2x15)
    etc.

C workouts come in later stages
  • lobo_a_gogo
    Options
    Oh and with alternating sets, you do both in each workout, its just that instead of doing (for example)
    Lat pull downs x 15
    Lat pull downs x 15
    Lunges x15
    Lunges x15

you do
    Lat pull downs x 15
    Lunges x15
    Lat pull downs x 15
    Lunges x15

make sense?
  • xprplstardust
    Options
    Oh and with alternating sets, you do both in each workout, its just that instead of doing (for example)
    Lat pull downs x 15
    Lat pull downs x 15
    Lunges x15
    Lunges x15

you do
    Lat pull downs x 15
    Lunges x15
    Lat pull downs x 15
    Lunges x15

make sense?

^ yes. thank you!
  • xprplstardust
    Options

You have the schedule right, but the pace wrong. You should never do more than one "workout" in a day.
    For example:

week 1:
    Sunday-none
    Monday- A1 (2x15 reps)
    Tuesday- none
    Wednesday- B1 (2x15)
    Thursday-none
    Friday- A2 (2x15)
    Saturday-none
    Week 2:
    Sunday-none
    Monday-B2 (2x15)
    etc.

^ I was under the impression & been told that I alternate between workout A & workout B every other day. But within those workouts, I would be doing Workout A1 & A2, Workout B1 & B2 (alternating sets) within workout A & the same for C. Then after a day of rest, I would be doing workout B with the same set up as workout A & that it would take me about 45 min to complete the full cycle. Is this correct?
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    This might help :) :

Stage 1

Week 1
    Workout A – 2 sets of each exercise – 15 reps (Wk #1)
    Workout B – 2 sets of each exercise – 15 reps (Wk #1)
    Workout A – 2 sets of each exercise – 15 reps (Wk #2)

Week 2
    Workout B – 2 sets of each exercise – 15 reps (Wk #2)
    Workout A – 2 sets of each exercise – 12 reps (Wk #3)
    Workout B – 2 sets of each exercise – 12 reps (Wk #3)

Week 3
    Workout A – 2 sets of each exercise – 12 reps (Wk #4)
    Workout B – 2 sets of each exercise – 12 reps (Wk #4)
    Workout A – 3 sets of each exercise – 10 reps (Wk #5)

Week 4
    Workout B – 3 sets of each exercise – 10 reps (Wk #5)
    Workout A – 3 sets of each exercise – 10 reps (Wk #6)
    Workout B – 3 sets of each exercise – 10 reps (Wk #6)

Week 5
    Workout A – 3 sets of each exercise – 8 reps (Wk #7)
    Workout B – 3 sets of each exercise – 8 reps (Wk #7)
    Workout A – 3 sets of each exercise – 8 reps (Wk #8)

Week 6
    Workout B – 3 sets of each exercise – 8 reps (Wk #8)
  • jkbear40
    jkbear40 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I lift on Monday Wednesday Friday. I do light cardio Tuesday and Thursday. Take weekends off.

This next week will look like this:
    Mon. Workout B
    Wed. Workout A
    Thurs. Workout B

Tomorrow I will be doing workout A. I do the full workouts each time with alternating sets after the squats or dead lift.
    Once you do it a few times it will get easier. First couple of workouts I forgot to alternate.
  • xprplstardust
    Options
    This might help :) :

Stage 1

Week 1
    Workout A – 2 sets of each exercise – 15 reps (Wk #1)
    Workout B – 2 sets of each exercise – 15 reps (Wk #1)
    Workout A – 2 sets of each exercise – 15 reps (Wk #2)

Week 2
    Workout B – 2 sets of each exercise – 15 reps (Wk #2)
    Workout A – 2 sets of each exercise – 12 reps (Wk #3)
    Workout B – 2 sets of each exercise – 12 reps (Wk #3)

Week 3
    Workout A – 2 sets of each exercise – 12 reps (Wk #4)
    Workout B – 2 sets of each exercise – 12 reps (Wk #4)
    Workout A – 3 sets of each exercise – 10 reps (Wk #5)

Week 4
    Workout B – 3 sets of each exercise – 10 reps (Wk #5)
    Workout A – 3 sets of each exercise – 10 reps (Wk #6)
    Workout B – 3 sets of each exercise – 10 reps (Wk #6)

Week 5
    Workout A – 3 sets of each exercise – 8 reps (Wk #7)
    Workout B – 3 sets of each exercise – 8 reps (Wk #7)
    Workout A – 3 sets of each exercise – 8 reps (Wk #8)

Week 6
    Workout B – 3 sets of each exercise – 8 reps (Wk #8)

^ this helps so much, thanks!
  • xprplstardust
    Options
    I lift on Monday Wednesday Friday. I do light cardio Tuesday and Thursday. Take weekends off.

This next week will look like this:
    Mon. Workout B
    Wed. Workout A
    Thurs. Workout B

Tomorrow I will be doing workout A. I do the full workouts each time with alternating sets after the squats or dead lift.
    Once you do it a few times it will get easier. First couple of workouts I forgot to alternate.

^ thanks! I think I am going to lift Sunday, Tuesday, & Thursday because I go to Maryland a lot during the summer & fall, leave on friday right after work & come back sunday evening so it will be easiser to lift those days cuz i know i'll get them in no matter what. Monday & Wed I'll do an insanity video & on Fridays i'll do an insanity video only if i don't go to MD for the weekend. then saturday will be my day of rest, & sometimes friday. I always go for a leisurely walk in the evening, about 40-60 min depending on how far i want to go. this is doable.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    Options

For example:

week 1:
    Sunday-none
    Monday- A1 (2x15 reps)
    Tuesday- none
    Wednesday- B1 (2x15)
    Thursday-none
    Friday- A2 (2x15)
    Saturday-none
    Week 2:
    Sunday-none
    Monday-B2 (2x15)
    etc.

^ I was under the impression & been told that I alternate between workout A & workout B every other day. But within those workouts, I would be doing Workout A1 & A2, Workout B1 & B2 (alternating sets) within workout A & the same for C. Then after a day of rest, I would be doing workout B with the same set up as workout A & that it would take me about 45 min to complete the full cycle. Is this correct?

Nope, in the book it says you should never lift two days in a row (you don't get enough recovery time) and you shouldn't do it more than 3 days/week (again, not enough recovery time!) your muscles building (and burning fat) need time to recover since what you're essentially doing is making tiny tears in them that it repairs and makes stronger.
  • xprplstardust
    Options

For example:

week 1:
    Sunday-none
    Monday- A1 (2x15 reps)
    Tuesday- none
    Wednesday- B1 (2x15)
    Thursday-none
    Friday- A2 (2x15)
    Saturday-none
    Week 2:
    Sunday-none
    Monday-B2 (2x15)
    etc.

Nope, in the book it says you should never lift two days in a row (you don't get enough recovery time) and you shouldn't do it more than 3 days/week (again, not enough recovery time!) your muscles building (and burning fat) need time to recover since what you're essentially doing is making tiny tears in them that it repairs and makes stronger.

^ yes i know that. I am only going to lift on Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    try this website for an amazingly helpful guide to calculating calorie/macro goals based on the book as well as detailed layouts of each stage workouts. it's been really helpful for me!

http://maggiewang.com/2008/05/20/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-diet-calculator-and-workout-logs

just scroll down to the white box and click the "download" link.
  • xprplstardust
    Options
    try this website for an amazingly helpful guide to calculating calorie/macro goals based on the book as well as detailed layouts of each stage workouts. it's been really helpful for me!

http://maggiewang.com/2008/05/20/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-diet-calculator-and-workout-logs

just scroll down to the white box and click the "download" link.

^ thank you. i downloaded it & i should be eating 1629 on non workout days & 1871 on workout days. I'm already eating 1800 TDEE & workout 5-6 days a week so this won't be a problem. and i always eat a little less on nonworkout days.