Mets?

Options
backpacker44
backpacker44 Posts: 160 Member
I'm wondering how many change their mets? It automatically sets them for you, but I find I am unable to reach the vigorous activity goal, even though I'm working out at the gym and KILLING it. I can't talk, can barely breathe, and am sweating like crazy. It counts it as moderate activity, so it's considering it the same as when I go for a walk?? I don't think those two activities are anything close, as I can talk fine and am not sweating when I walk.

Has anyone changed their mets so that they can reach their vigorous activity goal, or is it not really a big deal?

Replies

• katie01592
    katie01592 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I first got it a couple of years ago, I changed my METS and set the vigorous to above 5.5 instead of 6 and it recorded more vigorous exercise but it doesn't make a difference to the final calories burnt so I changed it back. If you are happy with what you are doing in the gym, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Usually in an hour gym session I record between 12 and 15 mins vigorous which is probably realistic. Check your charts - when you are in the gym you may be at the high end of moderate i.e. 5.5 and when walking at the lower end at 3.5. You could try adjusting it to 5.5 upwards and if it records more you will know you are working at the higher level of moderate and just below vigorous.
  • majoki
    majoki Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I actually had to adjust my vigorous mets *higher* because otherwise too much was recorded as vigorous. Now it's set at 7 for vigorous and 4 for moderate.

I wonder why? The only thing that records as vigorous now is jogging/running.
  • backpacker44
    backpacker44 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I actually had to adjust my vigorous mets *higher* because otherwise too much was recorded as vigorous. Now it's set at 7 for vigorous and 4 for moderate.

I have no idea why.. It's really weird. I just got back from the gym and my bm said I burnt 450 calories and man... I was disgusting when I was done. Even my wrists got sweaty!! It's not a big deal, I was just wondering why it says I'm not working hard :(
  • spdrcr456
    spdrcr456 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I have no idea why.. It's really weird. I just got back from the gym and my bm said I burnt 450 calories and man... I was disgusting when I was done. Even my wrists got sweaty!! It's not a big deal, I was just wondering why it says I'm not working hard :(

I adjusted mine down as well. I was noticing the same as you. Working my but off and no vigorous was being shown I lowered it to 5.5 and now it logs a little bit when working hard. I noticed that the calories didn't change when I changed it so I figured it's no big deal.
  • jojoboxing
    jojoboxing Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I adjusted mine down as well. I was noticing the same as you. Working my but off and no vigorous was being shown I lowered it to 5.5 and now it logs a little bit when working hard. I noticed that the calories didn't change when I changed it so I figured it's no big deal.

I set my vigorous to 5.4 after having BMF for a couple of days and since it is one of the goals you can set. Like everyone says it does not matter.
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have played with mine and it doesn't matter in the calorie burn. I think that the default setting is 6.0 for vigorous and that tells you when you get out of fat burn and into cardio. I set mine goal to get a certain amount of time in the vigorous range so I can get stronger and have greater endurance.