Phase 3 - Workout 11

Options
a_new_dawn
a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
A gold medal workout that inspires you to "Give it all you've got" and to "Get what you came for"

Warm up - Alternating cable punches, down dog thrusters, fast squats, single leg mountain climbers, high knees

Circuit 1 - Reverse squats, scorpion push-ups, jumping static squats with shoulder press, weighted burpees

Circuit 2 - Dive bombers with reverse, bear walks, tricep kickbacks in plank, crab kicks

Circuit 3 - Jumping statue of liberty, cable push-ups, chaturanga hold, standing mountain climbers,

Circuit 4 - dragon stance with lateral raise, 3 part push-up, Russian twist, twisting plank, power jump (hop back),

Replies

• staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    First time doing it I booked only about 200 on my HRM. Second time done today and got 350 out of it! I am not sure why the huge difference. I pushed just as hard both days. I've only had my HRM since Christmas so still getting to know all of my patterns. The only thing that I can think of is that I was holding back a little the first times doing 11 & 12 (similar HRM readings) because I was scared of what was next. I never watch the DVD's ahead of time. I'd rather just jump in and struggle through it- worried that if I watched it first I'd be like F*** no!
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    This is one tough workout! But the good news is you do progress quickly. Sooooooo many push-ups! Enjoy? :laugh:
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    This is one tough workout! But the good news is you do progress quickly. Sooooooo many push-ups! Enjoy? :laugh:

Oh no, has WO7 come back with a vengeance and renamed itself WO11!
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    I started my last two weeks of BR today, and although this workout is challenging, i expected something a little more "hardcore" because it is so close to the end. Don't get me wrong, it IS still tough, and DOES deserves it's "vicious" tag, but it's very do-able.

I thought the first part of the workout was a b!tch on the thighs, especially the jumping lunges - hammering the same leg repeatedly wasn't nice... OUCH!!!

Chaturanga hold - i've come across this before in Yoga Meltdown, and i'm still not great at it....I had to modify on my knees AND pause halfway through. I was low into the hold though, i probably could have held out for the whole move if i'd come up a little higher but i wanted to get my arms into the exact positioning.

Three part push-up? WTF... i had to modify and do this on my knees, i was so worried i'd fall flat on my face it i did it on my feet!

I liked the Russian twist, even though it was easy to do i really felt it working my abs. Twist planks are another oldie but goodie, my obliques were feeling that!

I'm still having a little bit of discomfort in my wrists, they have been worked hard again today with all those planks.
    I would say "i'm going to hurt tomorrow" but my shoulders are already feeling sore from today's workout! No pain no gain!

edit 11/3/13: i noticed today that my knees creak like mad in reverse squat :frown:
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    I did my final WO11 today and it's crazy to discover how much i've improved strength and balance-wise.

I can now hold chaturanga for the full 30 seconds (still on knees though) compared to having to pause halfway on my first attempt.

My balance was near perfect on the jumping libertys (matched speed to those on DVD)

Jumping lunges no longer feel as brutal as they did on day 1 - OMG they hammered my legs!

Some other moves including 3's... i would use 5.5's.

Even though i found it easier to push through i still got a decent burn of 280 today. I'm pretty pleased with that because strangely, my burns tend to be up and down lately, despite me putting in the same effort.
  • Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Workout 11 for the first time today.

The thing I love about JMBR is that I can now do exercises from Jillian's other programs that I always struggled with before such as jumping lunges and jumping statue of liberty.

The one thing I really couldn't do was the three part push up. I had to go to my knees for that but I generally preferred it to workout 9.
  • karint74
    karint74 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Just did Workout 11 for the first time. That held chaturunga was tough--I don't think my upper arms were quite parallel with my back, but I'm strong enough (barely) to hold it the whole time. Cable push-ups were really tough. Maybe my cables (from Target) are just a lot shorter than theirs, but this move made me glad I had a light-resistance cable (as well as the heavy-resistance one I use for 90+% of all cable moves in BR). I looped the handles around one hand and the loop around the other--If I had just held the ends the way they do, the thing would have snapped and smacked my back like a rubber band for sure! The three-part push-ups caught me by surprise, too. Going to the knees was too easy, so I modified by moving only one hand at a time in the three parts down/up.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Started this one yesterday. This workout was difficult, to be sure. My cable is shorter than theirs as well. I tried ONE cable pushup, after that I just did standard pushups. I may try putting my hand through the handles as karint74 suggested ^above. Other than that one, I guess the chaturanga hold was the worst for me. Nothing was EASY, by any means, but I'm more accustomed to most of the moves, as I've done them, or similar moves before (even the chaturanga hold)... But those two moves were really tough. 3 part pushups too, I tried doing them, but I'm not sure I did them correctly. I'll keep trying as I continue with this workout. :smile:

ETA: My shoulders and part of my chest are so sore today... lol
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    First time thru this workout. Like many of you my cable is too tight to really do the cable pushups--I just did normal ones (on my feet) and will have to play around with my cable later today to figure this one out.

The 3 part pushups are impossible on my feet--had to go to knees.
    Chaturanga hold was doable--but just barely the 2nd time thru. OWWWW

Bearwalk was weird as the dog felt that was a good excuse to bother me..but I moved around down low. LOL

Looking forward to these last 2 weeks. I can't believe I have made it this far.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    First time thru this workout. Like many of you my cable is too tight to really do the cable pushups--I just did normal ones (on my feet) and will have to play around with my cable later today to figure this one out.

The 3 part pushups are impossible on my feet--had to go to knees.
    Chaturanga hold was doable--but just barely the 2nd time thru. OWWWW

Bearwalk was weird as the dog felt that was a good excuse to bother me..but I moved around down low. LOL

Looking forward to these last 2 weeks. I can't believe I have made it this far.
    I did start doing the cable pushups by putting my hand through the handles on one side. I would do a few like that, then drop to my knees for a few more. I still don't do chaturaunga well, but I tried. I finished my last time through this workout yesterday and noticed today that my shoulders/chest are still a bit sore. Generally speaking, the other workouts only made me sore the first time through (if at all lol). 4 times and I'm still sore from it. I am so very glad I'm done with workout 11. lol
  • yaybazinga
    yaybazinga Posts: 54
    Options
    I did this for the first time yesterday and I'm really sore today! my arms, back and shoulders, ouch.

Dive bombers are still killing me and now with the reverse, it's really tough! I have to go on my knees for that one. same with the push-ups with resistant cable! I don't have her cables though adn I still have to figure out how to make it work with mine, yesterday it felt impossible!

I never would have thought that holding chaturanga for 30 sec would be this hard! I managed to hold it but had to drop to my knees halfway through.

Overall, I really enjoyed this workout though! It was easy to modify for my knee, unfortunately I can't do the plyo and avoid jumps, but if she uses dumbbells I just go heavier instead of jumping (e.g. statue of liberty).
  • Gatus98
    Gatus98 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm halfway through a second round of Phase 3. My goodness Workout 11 is HARD! What a humbling experience! It was worse than I remembered it being. I can only do a handful of military push ups, so I had to modify a lot of the millions of variations in this workout. My quads burned so much during the first circuit that I think I caught myself wimpering once or twice. It's a great workout for 36 minutes, though. That much I really do appreciate. Besides, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger!