STUCK

terryvet
terryvet Posts: 4 Member
I have been doing a low carb high protien diet. I have not lost any weight in over a month :( I do allow myself a weekly splurge and this does not cause me to gain anything but is this the problem?

Replies

• 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    How is your fat intake? That's the other important macro you should be tracking. Your protein doesn't look that high, which is a good thing, your body will convert excess protein to glucose.

I would also say that your calories are too low. Do you know what your BMR and TDEE are? I would calculate those both via Fat2Fit.com. You want to eat above your BMR as to not slow down your metabolism, which has a direct correlation to your weight loss. Once you figure out TDEE, you can eat 15-30% below that. So above BMR, but below TDEE - X%. There's a great thread on this subject: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide.

For further reading look up the Roadmap threads, and Eat More to Weigh Less.
  • terryvet
    wow....seems like doing that it is alot of calories :( If I did it correct my BMR is 1608 and my TDEE is 1601. I am only 5-1 with a small frame...that is alot of food
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    You are consistently not eating enough calories. Do eat above 1200 a day most days. An occasional dip below is okay but don't make it a habit. Also, track your fat intake. It needs to be at least 60% of your calories.
  • 2bmeagain12
    wow....seems like doing that it is alot of calories :( If I did it correct my BMR is 1608 and my TDEE is 1601. I am only 5-1 with a small frame...that is alot of food

Seems like something might be off in your calculations. BMR is what you need for your body to survive with absolutely no activity. It's what they would feed you in the hospital if you were in a coma. Your TDEE will be higher than that.

I'd read those other threads I mentioned. It took me a looooong time, lots of reading and research to finally get my head around having to eat more. I broke a 3-4 week stall by inching up toward TDEE - 30%.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    It's easier to hit those calories when you add fat to your diet. You also just need to eat better food.
  • terryvet
    More calories and more fat but still keep the carbs down? I will read up on this :)

thanks!
  • 2bmeagain12

When figuring out your BMR, use your CURRENT weight in the field that says "current" AND the one that says "goal" weight. This will give you your current BMR which is all you need right now. (That explanation is in the thread on BMR/TDD I posted in the first response).
  • terryvet
    I am hoping to try this tonight!