Medications you are taking for fibro

dixiech1ck
dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
I was just wondering what medications you are taking for your fibro. My doctor just put me on Cymbalta once per day for 14 days at 30 mg. However, taking it in the morning proves to be costly as I'm severely fatigued from it. I'm then to up it to 60 mg once per day going forward. Has anyone tried Cymbalta? Others that have worked? Curious to other people's experiences.

Replies

• flyithi
    flyithi Posts: 8
    Hi. My doc says there are 3 main meds for FM. Cymbalta, Savella and Lyrica. I am trying Cymbalta for the second time. The first time (about 2 years ago) it was fantastic. I felt like I was 20 something again however there were negative sexual side affects so I went back to Savella. Starting last fall the pain relief from Savella started to wane so I am trying Cymbalta again. The sexual side effect isn't as bad this time but the uphoric pain relief I had the first time did not return and I am very tired now all the time. I will finish out the prescription but if the pain remains like it is, I will go back to Savella. I will miss Cymbalta because it works well for keeping my mood stabilized. My dosage was 30 mg for 7 days then 60 mg onward. I tried Lyrica many years ago and I can't remember if it worked. I only know I was so tired I could hardly drive to work. Got off that right away. Good luck to you.
  • dixiech1ck
    Thanks for the heads up on your symptoms. I understand it's supposed to tire out your muscles (almost like a relaxer) but that's TOO relaxed!!
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    I have tried and flunked out on every med for fibromyalgia. Cymbalta did nothing for me and Lyrica gave me edema in my feet so bad I couldn't walk. I hope they work better for you than they did me.
  • dixiech1ck
    So far I've been a full week on Cymbalta. 30mg once daily. I switched from mornings to late afternoons to take it because it was making me so tired. However, I'm having a hard time falling asleep. I won't get past the REM state and wake up several times in the night to go to the bathroom. Then I'm up at 12, 2:30, 4.. finding it very difficult to get up in the mornings. Literally takes me an hour and a half to FEEL like moving. I notice my muscles have a strange buzzing sensation, mostly in my legs and knees.. hands sometimes. The fatigue is really bothering me and I've even begun taking vitamins again. The only good thing is my drive to eat is not there, so I'm not as hungry during the day, but I wake up nauseous. I'm going to try the rest of this week and bump to 60 next week. If it still feels this bad, I'm going to call the dr. I'm also slated for a sleep study soon. Really hoping something can help me.
  • heatherbrosigyaskow
    heatherbrosigyaskow Posts: 28 Member
    I take xanaflex and naproxen. If I forget to take my meds before bed I can't even walk in the morning.
  • I take Cymbalta but it does nothing for me gonna try Savella in a couple of weeks weaning off of Cymbalta I also take Neurontin which helps some but makes me very tired. Have to space it out and take an afternoon nap or I sleep all the time.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    I had a terrible experience with headaches & tiredness from neurontin. I was on Cymbalta for a while but it always seemed to make me feel like my heart was racing a little. I weaned off it a yr and 1/2 ago. I was prescribed zanaflex when i hurt my back a few yrs back, but i could barely function on it. I was way too sleppy & drowsy. The only thing that made me feel great without any noticeable bad side effects was Diazepam (valium) which was also prescribed briefly for the back/neck issues. I noticed that it helped with my back pain but also muscle stiffness, joint pain & fatigue. It was great. but my doc was afraid that i would get hooked & suffer from terrible withdrawal symptoms so he did not want to keep prescribing it. I am actually thankful that he did that because i wasn't on it that long & it was a relatively low dose but i still had awful withdrawal symptoms....scary....

these days i have been exercising pretty regularly & feeling better because of it. I currently just take tylenol or ibuprofin for pain, and herbal stuff to fight inflammation. I get good results from New Chapter's Zyflamend, but for some reason that formula can give me heartburn (i have GERD/reflux problems so i try to avoid things that make it worse). I often opt for taking olive leaf, oil of oregano, and turmeric capsules.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Most painkillers don't help with fibromyalgia because it's not an inflammatory disease like arthritis. Hence why they like to give us antidepressants and antipsychotics to try and 'trick' our malfunctioning pain sensors into working properly. It works for some people, but not everybody.

Yoga has helped me more than any medicine I have ever taken. I still hurt and hurt badly, but I hurt less. If that helps any.
  • Hello

for pains:
    1 - i'm taking Zaldiar ( tramadol+ paracetamol) - it doesn't work that much to be honest no matter how many I take. I've tried just Tramadol, it was even worse it had no effect at all!!!

to sleep:
    1 - Valerian root pills , this works for me in one way, I explain, I take these during the day to help me to calm down and at night to help me to sleep but I dont take them every day.
    But I suffer from insomnia since very young and the pains during night are terrible especially the sensation of burning in my legs sad

2 - Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) is a muscle relaxant but I only take it when my muscles are really stiff. It is supposed to put me asleep but it doesn't really sad

anxiety / stress:
    1 - Victan (Ethyl loflazepate) I take 2/day to fight anxiety and palpitations. this one really works for me happy . I am very sensitive to noise and the only way i can fight this is take one of this in morning, select some music in my mobile and turn Runkeeper app and go out for a walk.
    2 - Xanax (Alprazolam) when I can't control my stress levels and feel like killing someone.

Anti-inflammatory:
    1 - Nimesulide - I take this one for my tendinites and for my spine; I have problems in my backbone and left joint hip. It's really good and it helps me with pain also.

Migraines:
    these really kill me when they come there is not much I can do about it but wear earplugs for the noise and close myself in a dark room to avoid light. I take Migraleve - is the brand name of a range of migraine-relief medications made by Pfizer.

Fatigue & others:
    - vitamin B12, magnesium, vitamin D & caicium
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    I take 25mg Amitriptyline in the evening and on 100g Gabapapentin once a day, increasing to three times a day from Tues x.