Help!

Options
I am hoping maybe this is the answer. I started my weight loss journey almost 2 years ago doing Weight Watchers, and had decent success. I started with more than 150 lbs to lose, and lost around 40 lbs, only following the meal plan, with no exercise. Then I reached a plateau, and couldn't lose anymore, and quit. I maintained that loss pretty well, and finally a month and a half ago decided to try something to start losing again. I started Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, and lost 15 lbs my first week. Now it's 5 wks later, and not lost any more, have even gained in some weeks! So frustrated, track everything I eat on MFP, eating so much less than ever before, exercising 6 days a week, after never really exercising before in my life, and nothing! My caloric intake is always well below my MFP goal, and according to the calculator I should be losing! Maybe I have totally ruined my metabolism? Not quite understanding exactly what this plan entails, and scared to death to eat more at this point, but hopeful that maybe there is an answer! Please someone direct me to where I can see the first steps, and any advice!

Replies

• MoosieMooMama
    Options
    what is your calorie level right now?

I can tell you if you are eating less than what MFP states (typically 1200 for every female) that you are NOT eating enough. Period.

If you are doing cardio 6x a week and not eating enough, PLEASE read this.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

sorry that you have to cut and paste the link but it will be worth your time.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So you know what that 15 lbs was and was not, right?

If fat, 3500 calories per lb. Do the math, because you have to know this.
    And I'm assuming you know what a deficit is, and TDEE, ect.

So you are exercising to make body improvements, or merely for weight loss?
    Moosie has great link there if the latter.

If the former, body can't make improvements, or at least a far cry for what it could do, if it's not being fed enough.
    Between running your basic metabolism, and trying to improve body - guess what gets the calories.

You been less active during the day since starting the routine, even noticed?

Try this to get best estimates of bodyfat%, BMR, TDEE, and realistic goal to retain muscle mass before you cause enough problems to do lifetime of yo-yo dieting.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/961054-spreadsheet-for-bodyfat-bmr-tdee-progress-tracker
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hey there lady,

First of all, I would suggest getting some strong EM2WL friends. This process is mentally challenging until you get past the thought process that it is a sin to fuel your body. Feel free to add me:-)

Take a moment and read all the stickies....if you want everything laid out neatly, go to www.eatmore2weighless.com/faqs there is an ebook there and loads of information.

Bottom line, you must fuel your body...you may want to consider resetting your metabolism which is eating TDEE for 8-12 wks, then take a SMALL cut of 10-15% for a period of 4 wks and then TDEE for a week....keeping that cycle until you have lost the fat.

Another suggestion is to start strength training....lifting weights help you to burn fat and sculpt beautiful muscles that will stand out once the layers have been taken off.

Please be encouraged and know that many have gone through the process and many walking it out....this journey isn't an overnight drop it quick method...but it is so rewarding and sustainable:-)
  • charmagnebrown
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I had been taking in around 1200 gross or less. Since my post I have worked at moving my calories up, I would say now I am grossing about 1700. I do know this is below my BMR, but I am having a hard time eating enough healthy food to get there (wouldn't have a problem eating that with bad choices!) Will keep moving it up! I did finally see a loss on the scale with the increase though! I don't think I could have been less active since starting the program, I worked a desk job and was pretty sedentary prior! The workouts I'm doing do have weights 4 days a week, but i use pretty light weights, as I am pretty weak still at this point. Not sure how I will be able to take in 2500 calories of whole food a day, which is my cut value! Might consider the reset depending on how things go...Again thank you for all the responses!
  • charmagnebrown
    Options
    Oh, and I would say fat loss is my goal, but I would like to be getting stronger and shaping my body along the way!
  • Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    Options
    Hey there lady,

First of all, I would suggest getting some strong EM2WL friends. This process is mentally challenging until you get past the thought process that it is a sin to fuel your body. Feel free to add me:-)

Take a moment and read all the stickies....if you want everything laid out neatly, go to www.eatmore2weighless.com/faqs there is an ebook there and loads of information.

Bottom line, you must fuel your body...you may want to consider resetting your metabolism which is eating TDEE for 8-12 wks, then take a SMALL cut of 10-15% for a period of 4 wks and then TDEE for a week....keeping that cycle until you have lost the fat.

Another suggestion is to start strength training....lifting weights help you to burn fat and sculpt beautiful muscles that will stand out once the layers have been taken off.

Please be encouraged and know that many have gone through the process and many walking it out....this journey isn't an overnight drop it quick method...but it is so rewarding and sustainable:-)

Great stuff ^^^^
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I had been taking in around 1200 gross or less. Since my post I have worked at moving my calories up, I would say now I am grossing about 1700. I do know this is below my BMR, but I am having a hard time eating enough healthy food to get there (wouldn't have a problem eating that with bad choices!) Will keep moving it up! I did finally see a loss on the scale with the increase though! I don't think I could have been less active since starting the program, I worked a desk job and was pretty sedentary prior! The workouts I'm doing do have weights 4 days a week, but i use pretty light weights, as I am pretty weak still at this point. Not sure how I will be able to take in 2500 calories of whole food a day, which is my cut value! Might consider the reset depending on how things go...Again thank you for all the responses!

Do you consider fat as a bad choice?

Just asking, because many people do. Eating fat doesn't make you fat.

So energy dense foods with some good healthy fat in them.