Discussion and Questions

Options
2»

Replies

• chasero
    chasero Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    For those of you who are wondering how to figure out the average increase on your Test Day scores, use the following formula:

[(Day 2 - Day 1)/Day 1]*100 = ____%

Do this for each type of exercise, so you should have 8 different percentages, add those up and divide by 8, that's your average percentage of increase.
  • aletadiana
    aletadiana Posts: 54
    Options
    For those of you who are wondering how to figure out the average increase on your Test Day scores, use the following formula:

Do this for each type of exercise, so you should have 8 different percentages, add those up and divide by 8, that's your average percentage of increase.

Chasero are you in school for some sort of math or research thing? You love formulas! You are obviously good at them...I am so math illiterate so even that formula above looks confusing to me!
  • chasero
    Options

Chasero are you in school for some sort of math or research thing? You love formulas! You are obviously good at them...I am so math illiterate so even that formula above looks confusing to me!

Haha, nah. I'm in School for Biological Sciences (Premed). Ultimate goal is to be a Neurosurgeon in the distant future. As for Math, shoot I like formula's, just don't give me anything Trig related...hoowee! If you want me to average up your percentage let me know, I can; then you can edit it into your Fit Test Results or do as you want.
  • aletadiana
    Options

Just to shoot off a number for you, according to the Karvonen Formula:
    THR=[(HRmax-HRrest) X %Intensity] + HRrest
    You, as a woman with your age (I'm pulling from your profile) would have a baseline (meaning it's different for everyone but can follow the following baseline as a "rule of thumb") of HRrest: 74 and HRmax: 176. Using the Heart Rate App that calculates based on the Karvonen Formula, these are your ranges:
    Warm Up: 50-60% (125bpm - 135bpm)
    Fat Burn: 60-70% (135bpm-145bpm)
    Cardio: 70-80% (145bpm-155bpm)
    Extreme: 80-90% (155bpm-165bpm)
    Max: 90-100% (165bpm-176bpm)

Though, honestly, it doesn't match up with you being in the 165-170bpm. I'm wondering how fit you are, or what your actual HRrest is; calculate it manually since the above information was "autocalculated" and didn't take much into consideration besides gender and age input.

Thanks so much for this Chasero. I think I'm good...My resting heartrate is a little higher than that at 82 (taken first thing in the am before getting out of bed) and I have been exercising daily (30-60 minutes) for quite a while now, which, using the website puts me at a target heart rate of 155-170. Still not sure why my calories burn is so low, but perhaps it's my age. I will do some research online and see if I can see where a woman my age should be with calorie burn.
  • chasero
    Options
    ktrn0312
    Increased Caloric intake while doing Insanity
    I have utilized the TDEE minus 20% methodology to guide my calorie intake since this journey started for me 18 months ago. It has served me well. I was eating between 1600 -1800. I preferred this method because it took into account my moderate level of exercising and I never really worried if I was eating enough. Since on the Insanity program, I am famished & now eating 1900 - 2300 calories. I expected an increase but, my mind is asking am I overdoing. I am eating more because I am hungry whereas, before I was fine. Should I recalculate my TDEE but, use heavy exercising to give me new values for better consistency. Any thoughts, ideas, & suggestions will be greatly appreciated. My metrics are : 5'6" & 140lbs.

I would suggest that you go back and input heavy exercising to give you a better consistency. According to the Nutrition Book from Insanity, they use the Harris Benedict Equation, taking into account your age, height, gender, and weight to give you your basic caloric needs. It then asks what level of fitness you're doing (which, since you're doing Insanity, you'd use the values of 1.7 or 1.9) and multiply that into the final answer of the Benedict Formula;

for women, this is what y'all use
    655 +(4.35 x weight)+(4.7 x height)-(4.7 x age)
    for other readers (men), we use this:
    66+(6.23 x weight)+(12.7 x height)-(6.8 x age)

both genders will take their answers from the above equation and multiply by one of the variables below:
    1.2 Sedentary Little to no exercise
    1.375 Lightly Active Light exercise (1 to 3 days/week)
    1.55 Moderately Active Moderate exercise (3 to 5 days/week)
    1.7 Very Active Hard Exercise (6 to 7 days/week)
    1.9 Extremely Active Hard daily exercise and/or physical job

Finally, after getting to this point, subtract 500 to lose weight, leave it as is to maintain weight, or add 300 to gain weight.

For those of you who would rather have it auto-calculated, here is a spreadsheet I found that you can download (Excel), just plug in your numbers where the value is 0 and red, then enter your activity factor where it is 0 and orange (for those of you doing Insanity, your values are most likely 1.7 or 1.9). Make sure when you get to the blocks where you input your goal, you type in -500 or +300 if you are losing/gaining weight.:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah-SXdUwOkmsdEhhUzJLODk5RnpZUHBwaTdTbUg0cVE#gid=0
    this follows the Nutrition Guide from Insanity.

Also keep in Mind, the Nutrition Guide says that those who do it may have to increase their caloric intake throughout the program.

Back to the OP, I'm curious on feedback for comparison between Insanity's Caloric Needs Calculator and the Calculator you use for yours (with the activity level raised to heavy exercising), if you don't mind. Also, I went ahead and did your calculations for you (with a 1.7 activity factor), feel free to double check it or decrease/increase the activity factor.
    Lose Weight: 1817
    Maintain: 2317
    Gain Weight: 2617

I hope this helps you and any readers who pass by!

Where I got my information:
    Insanity's Nutrition Guidebook
    as well as this site:http://www.homemadefit.com/2011/12/how-to-calculate-your-daily-calorie-needs-using-insanity/
    here is the direct link to the spreadsheet, which can be found at the above website: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah-SXdUwOkmsdEhhUzJLODk5RnpZUHBwaTdTbUg0cVE#gid=0 (go to file, download as..., and download)
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    @chasero

A hearty thank you for taking the time to post a well informed response.

I was using the scoobyworkshop.com calculator.

I will do the number crunch again. I have always preferred to no-brainer approach of having a set daily number.

I ran my numbers on scoobyworkshop.com:

Based on heavy/strenous exercising
    BMR- 1543
    Maintenance- 2662
    Lose- 2130
  • chasero
    Options
    wow, that's a big difference! Follow the scooby calculator until Month 2 starts, then re-adjust. Or, follow Insanity's until Month 2 and then switch to the Scooby Calculator since we're goin' in for "double time" next month.
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I went back to setting my lifestyle to sedentary and eating back my exercise calories. If I don't exercise, MPF gives me 1250kcal to eat per day. If I do... well, I usually get to app. 1600. Which is okay - but days like today (low calorie burn) or sundays are a killer. ;)
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I am going to follow the Insanity numbers. I prefer the lower numbers. I have come too far to put the weight back on. My goal is better body composition. I honestly want to look good naked & not with just clothes on. I am doing Insanity to improve strength & endurance plus working with a trainer once a week.
  • aletadiana
    Options
    Hi All!
    I thought this was a great article...I found it while researching my calorie burning questions...
    http://www.womansday.com/health-fitness/diet-weight-loss/8-calorie-burning-myths-debunked-120077

It was nice to read something that really validated the "insanity" approach which combines high interval training along with strengths training. I also like the point about taking weekly and monthly calories into more consideration and not getting as freaked out about the daily calories.
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    Options
    Aletadiana, if you want a really great article about steady state/interval training, look here:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/stead-state-versus-intervals-finally-a-conclusion.html

There are at least 4 more articles on that side, addressing this topic. They are well worth reading. Oh well - EVERYTHING on that site is worth reading. Enjoy!
  • chasero
    Options
    Oh boy, let the PMs come for askin' where I've been. First off, Aletadiana, I remember seeing and email you sent me about macros. I can't remember the details since my inbox has no email in it.....Wonder if MyFitnessPal erases mail after a set day limit? I'm curious to see the results of those I started with. I can't remember if y'all are done or about to be within a week. The reason I had lost activity in the Insanity was due to multiple things (yes, I know. NO excuse.):
    1. I had started working in Construction around....week 4 I think we were on, had waterlogged feet since I didn't have proper workboots. Believe me though, I tried working out with that condition, hurt like heck y'all. At the time, I didn't realize my feet were waterlogged.
    2. My Insanity discs went missing for awhile, yet I managed to borrow a neighbors until I finally found mine again.
    3. Then, by the time my feet healed up enough to manage the workouts, I was already a week and a half behind, I just felt down about bein' left behind so far and I kind of....hung it on the shelves. As for not being online, since it obviously doesn't require my feet, just got busy with work and summer, and without the exercise regimen screamin' at me, I wasn't reminded to hop on here.

With my nonexcuses out of the way, I''m wondering for those of you who started in the group I was in, how is the Program treating y'all so far? Good Results? Also, SleeplessinBerlin, I was wonderin' if you were gonna make a Thread where people can post their final Results alongside their Day 1?

Currently, I'm curious for y'alls input on me and working out. Right now, Summer is coming to a close in about a month. I want to pick back up the exercise regimen. Should I restart Insanity alone Is there another support group like this one? I really liked this group, maybe do a Hybrid with P90X currently, I can't find a hybrid support group? or Join the P90X group that I think Sleepless may have hinted on. My School schedule will be a Tuesday/Thursday Schedule from 8AM-9PM, I do have about a 4 hour break in between my classes, so exercising on those days isn't a problem.

Edit: After reading the actual forumns, it seems y'all have indeed finished. For those of you who still frequent this group. Congrats to y'all! Glad y'all stuck with it!
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    Options
    Hi Chasero, how good to know that you are okay. I wondered what happened. Yes, MPF does remove old PMs, that's why you are not seeing them anymore.

Most people here who were reporting daily completed Insanity. I still have 6 workouts to to, because I was in Finland in the meantime, but I will be finished by the end of the coming week.
    I might start a final thread with final results so that everyone who wants to can post the final results. But most people reported "on the way" and I feel that our experiences were similar. We all got stronger. We all felt that our bodies changed. We didn't lose much weight but we did lose inches. Some changes were subtle and not measurable.

As for you, there are a few large groups with people doing Insanity, P90X or both (one of them is called P90X/Insanity - The Game Changers), there is a large beachbody support group as well. I started this group because I wanted a smaller group of dedicated people starting the program at approximately the same time. But if you look around the forums you will see that many folks either just started out or plan to start soon. There are a few threads. You can do the same thing I did in May which was creating my own group and inviting all those scattered people to one place like this.

3 of us plan to start or started Chalean Extreme, which is much like P90X but with shorter workouts. If I had more time, I would think about a Insanity/P90X Hybrid now.