Warm Food

Options
ninashh
ninashh Posts: 12 Member
Staying away from Carbs (and meat): What do you guys do for warm food? I'm so over soups.

Replies

• Clemmi17
    Clemmi17 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I've just signed up to this group as I don't each much meat at all. We grow a lot of our own fruit and veg and keep chickens so our diet is based on that. I do buy various types of dried beans, chick peas, lentils, nuts and seeds.

My 2 favourite non-soup recipes are a spicy bean casserole and chick pea and butternut squash curry. Booth recipes are very economical and freeze well if you want to batch cook. If you'd like me to put the recipes on here, let me know.
  • joyceapenowich
    Options
    I have discovered the joys of roasted veggies!! Using lite olive oil and herbs so many options. Combing different things gives many different flavors.
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am vegan and I have the same desire to have hot foods. I enjoy homemade chili, vegan chicken breasts with anything or in sandwiches with vegan mayo, beefless tips stirfrys and lots and lots of other good things. There are many, many recipes out there for really delicious hot vegetables. It's amazing. Enjoy.
  • StarrySkiesYvaine
    StarrySkiesYvaine Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    stews, stir fries, roasted veggies, curries, pasta dishes, roast dinners - the list is endless!
  • ninashh
    Options
    Chick peas and butternut sound really good! I'd love the recipe, if you have a minute. Thanks!
  • Clemmi17
    Options
    chickpea and butternut squash curry

2 medium onions, sliced
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 clove garlic
    330g cooked chickpeas
    330g chopped tomatoes (fresh or tinned)
    0.5 large butternut squash (approx 500g) cut into chunks approx 4cm
    2 medium carrots
    1 red pepper, cut in chunks
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    1 teaspoon garam masala
    0.5 teaspoon fenugreek
    0.5 tsp medium hot chilli powder
    black pepper
    salt to taste

These measurement are not exact. You can add more or less to enhance flavours and how spicy you like your curry.

Soften the onions, garlic and carrots in the oil over a gentle heat in a large pan which has a lid.
    Add all the other ingredients except the red pepper and bring to boiling temperature.
    Simmer for about 45 minutes, stir and add the red pepper. Cook for another 15 to 20 minutes until all veg are cooked.

You can cook this on top of the oven, in a medium oven (160 c) and it also is extremely good in a slow cooker for about 4 hours.

Serve with steamed broccoli and/or rice.

Variations
    You can add chopped chilli if you like it really hot. You can use sweet potato instead of butternut. You can add sliced courgette if you have grown too many. You can add tomato puree if you want a thicker sauce.
  • wendimlee
    wendimlee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I make a really good, super fast and easy vegan chili using TVP.
  • dfinnula
    dfinnula Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you eat eggs - omelettes and fritatas are great - loaded with vege and sometime I add cottage cheese.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Staying away from Carbs (and meat): What do you guys do for warm food? I'm so over soups.

Roasted/grilled veggies! I love roasted bell peppers - each color has a different flavor profile! Yellow onions are sweet, white and red are hotter. Roasted beets with thyme, salt and pepper are a favorite of mine. Mushrooms pack a ton of flavor, and crimini shrink to the perfect size on a kabob. Grilled tomatoes are yummy too. Eggplant is pretty good. Oh! Grilled spring onions. These are amazing. Top with a balsamic reduction and you'll just want to die.
  • ninashh
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips & I'm going to try to the curry recipe this weekend!
  • Clemmi17
    Options
    Another tasty recipe is spicy lentils baked inside large field mushrooms. You cook mixed lentils (must include some dark ones) with some shallots, garlic, chilli, chopped mushroom stalks and mixed herbs in a little water (or a tsp olive oil). Spoon the mixture inside washed large mushrooms. Cover wih a lid and bake in an oven dish for about 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for a further 10 minutes.

If you eat cheese, you can add a little grated cheese into the stuffing mixture.

Serve with a green salad and a tomato salad.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Roasted portabella mushrooms seasoned with thyme, garlic, olive oil etc eaten with other vegetables (cut up in chunks)