Lialda - life saver?

Options
kpnive
kpnive Posts: 64 Member
For those that take Lialda - did your dr. prescribe heavy at first? I was diagnosed with chronic ulcerative proctitis. My script is Lialda 4x a day and suppository daily. I have not yet done the latter, but i've been on the lialda for a week and all my symptoms are GONE. Does it really work that fast? and has anyone had any side affect symptoms?

Replies

• JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I don't take that, but a similar drug called mazavent XL.

Yes, it did work fast, couple of weeks I think and i was good. I am taking it still- will be forever.

You should do the suppositries though- make sure the inflammation has died down. Its not that bad once you get the hang of it. I reccommend some KY Jelly!
  • JPLYLER09
    JPLYLER09 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I take Lialda (& have a script card that I only pay $10 FYI) I started out with 2 pills and have been up'd recently to 4... But I must say I'm feeling better.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I take 4 Lialda a day. I also have the prescription card so I only pay $10. If you don't have it, ask your doc for one.

I can't say if it was the Lialda or the 6MP that pulled me out of my most recent flare. I was on both and still am.

I'm seeing my GI on Friday just for a well being check.

Last year, he wanted to decrease my Lialda to 3 tabs daily but I was afraid to.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,639 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with UC last week and took my first pills last night. I'm only taking 3 pills once a day and that, along with the fun cream I get to shoot up myself with, has already helped.
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Does Lialda work for Ulcerative Colitis? Is that what you are saying? :smile:
  • Mon6187
    Mon6187 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with UC and IBS in 2001 and was first put on Asacol, but then I went through a myriad of other drugs (mainly due to cost) but I have been on Lialda (2x daily) for about 3 years. At first it helped my symptoms greatly, but I feel like I have gotten worse in recent months. I am also taking Dicyclomine 2-4x daily but haven't noticed much relief with that either (again, good at first but then got worse again). Has anyone else experienced this? I would guess that I might be building up a tolerance or maybe I'm just flaring nonstop... Sometimes I up my medication but perhaps not long enough to notice a difference. How long do you change the amount of your meds for if you are experiencing a flare up?

I also have the discount card, you can just go to their website to sign up and don't need a doctor to give it to you.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    my doc (who i haven't seen in ages) seems to refuse to put me on any sort of oral medication, all that I get is the salufolk (sp) suppositories.... is it just because my UC is not bad enough to need daily meds ( I generally can keep my self out of a flare up and when i go into a bad one I take my suppositories)... thoughts?