Frustration - Plantar Faciitis

Options
I had a stress fracture a while back so stopped running to allow that time to heal. I recently began running again and now I'm dealing with plantar faccitis on the other foot! Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Tennis ball is going to be your best friend for the next month.

http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/plantar-fasciitis
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I had never had an issue with PF until about a year ago. I was walking (not running) at the time, and I thought I had injured myself. I had a cortisone shot then. When I started walking seriously in January---and C25K shortly after---I had to make another trip to the podiatrist. I really didn't want another shot (they hurt really bad!!) but I didn't want to stop my plan to lose half by body weight. The second shot---paired with new shoes (Brooks) and inserts----I have not had any PF pain in about 4 months. It might come back, but those things helped me push through.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    Don't go with the shot unless it is absolutely necessary. Cortisone shots are great if you have chronic pain, but if the PF has just developed, stretching, rest and massaging the area (thus the reason for the tennis ball) is going to be the best bet. It is best to heal the area because if you don't, PF can develop into a chronic issue as it does deal with a tendon in the leg. A very important one at that, it is the one that connects your heel bone to your toes. And if that fails, then that can lead to collapsed arches, which means prosthetics or possible surgery to fix.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I deal with this too. It hasn't totally gone away but the pain is down quite a bit from before. Here are the things I have done:

- Get fitted for the right shoes and inserts (I use Superfeet green)
    - Strengthening exercises like toe scrunches and pulling a towel across the floor with your toes
    - Very hot foot bath every night
    - Massage deeply every night with a Due North Foot Rubz ball (after the hot foot bath)
    - Ice the arch for 10-15 minutes after the hot bath (also do this right after a run)
    - Deep calf massage with a rumbleroller
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I deal with this too. It hasn't totally gone away but the pain is down quite a bit from before. Here are the things I have done:

- Strengthening exercises like toe scrunches and pulling a towel across the floor with your toes
    - Massage deeply every night with a Due North Foot Rubz ball (after the hot foot bath)
    - Ice the arch for 10-15 minutes after the hot bath (also do this right after a run)

Super feet Green for me too and thanks to my MFP friends...writing the alphabet with my foot and stretches with a towel before getting out of bed in the morning! :-)
  • rduhlir
    Options

Super feet Green for me too and thanks to my MFP friends...writing the alphabet with my foot and stretches with a towel before getting out of bed in the morning! :-)

That is a good one for people prone to stress fractures too.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Oh, one more thing - I got a compression sleeve made by Feetures that goes over the arch and ankle. I wear that every night and it keeps the arch from tightening back up when you sleep.

And totally agree with the "writing the alphabet" above. I make sure my foot is loosened up before taking that first step out of bed.
  • armymom5
    armymom5 Posts: 115
    Options
    Did you stop running?
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Did you stop running?

I haven't had to yet. And since taking measures, it has improved.
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I had never had an issue with PF until about a year ago. I was walking (not running) at the time, and I thought I had injured myself. I had a cortisone shot then. When I started walking seriously in January---and C25K shortly after---I had to make another trip to the podiatrist. I really didn't want another shot (they hurt really bad!!) but I didn't want to stop my plan to lose half by body weight. The second shot---paired with new shoes (Brooks) and inserts----I have not had any PF pain in about 4 months. It might come back, but those things helped me push through.

I spoke too soon! It's back. :(