Gelatin?

craudi
craudi Posts: 126 Member
What are your thoughts on gelatin as a supplement? Recently I finally stopped biting my nails (been biting them as long as I can remember), but they're still really brittle and chip easily...probably because they're still often in my mouth. :/ I also am trying to grow out and get my hair more healthy for life (and especially before my wedding). I've read so many other benefits from it too, but thought I'd throw out this topic to see if anyone else had thoughts! :) I'm looking at this brand...from grass-fed and finished cows: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KG7EDU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A26YB9WETAR2G9

Replies

• ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    well, my nails are brittle and chip easily, but i don't bite them. they have always been like that, when i was fat and eating terribly, when i was very young, and still now, with a healthy diet and exercise. lots of people over the years have told me to take this or that, but i don't like spending money on pills when i could be spending money on good food, or clothes! i've always been a no pills kind of person though, won't even take advil usually.

imho, i wouldn't want to eat gelatin! i stay away from jellos and such.

the reviews look good though!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,953 Member
    I am brand new to this group and brand new to actually trying go go paleo (although I've been reading about it for awhile now). I do know that bone broths are a good way to get gelatin and other good things into your diet and bone broths help with joints, hair, skin, bones and nails.

To make a bone broth you need to bring good quality bones to a boil and simmer them for 24 or more hours. (From your roast, chicken or whatever you've just made for dinner works just fine. They don't have to be raw.) You can add onion, celery and whatever seasonings/vegetables you want to that for flavor. Once it's done just strain out all the stuff and let it cool. You can use it in your cooking or just drink a glass of it every day.
  • craudi
    craudi Posts: 126 Member
    I do know that bone broths are a good way to get gelatin and other good things into your diet and bone broths help with joints, hair, skin, bones and nails.

Yeah! I do enjoy making bone broth (just made some two nights ago actually), but I get tired of eating soup all the time (especially with summer coming...). Plus storing it for too long has been a struggle (suggestions?) I'm thinking of adding the gelatin (flavorless) to my tea at night before bed. We'll see! Still contemplating it all!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    On a side note, you can soak your nail directly in gelatin and get many of the same benefits from it .
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Everybody would benefit from gelatin! I make lots of broth and I also use the Great Lakes brand of beef gelatin. I make all kinds of stuff with it (homemade pudding, jello, my favorite now is coconut panna cotta).
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,953 Member
    If you or someone you know have a pressure canner you can can the broth and store it at room temp. Otherwise you'll need to store what you aren't using right away in the freezer.

I will occasionally put gelatin in my smoothies just to get it in me without tasting it. That works pretty well. Dissolving it in whatever warm beverage you're drinking works too but I drink a green smoothie every day so the smoothie thing is my preference.
  • 365Primal
    365Primal Posts: 42 Member
    I would simply recommend making grass-fed beef broth and drinking a bit of that daily. Amazing minerals and gelatin all in one.