Introductions

Options
RoseTears143
RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
Well, I figure we have just over 2 weeks before we get started, let's get to know each other! :)

I'm Sara, and I have struggled with my weight for years. Long story short - I have autoimmune thyroid disease that messed me up for a long time. I finally got it stabilized this year and have gotten my eating habits under control to avoid trouble with my autoimmune intolerances to casein and gluten. Thankfully with a gluten and dairy free diet, I've been steadily losing weight since I recommitted to my health journey on march 10 this year :drinker:

I did the Ultimate Reset from 3/10-3/31 and started Insanity 4/7 and will complete it on 6/7, in time to start Combat 6/9...woot!!

I also just started training for some upcoming obstacle course runs I want to do - the Warrior Dash in September, the Zombie Run is in October, and the Tough Mudder is also in October. So I'm committed to my fitness for the long haul!!

My highest weight was 242 in January 2012. I started at 236 this March. Oh! And I have a Bachelor's Degree in Network Security, and I have 2 dogs, a kitty, and a guy in my life for the last 3 1/2 years that I absolutely adore <3.

Soooo....enough about me...what about you? :)

Replies

• Run4Me2Day
    Run4Me2Day Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Jo here! I have actually done P90X in the fall and dabbled a bit in both Rev Abs and Hip Hop Abs. Am on day 18 of my Combat journey and loving it. I had started it previously and had to take a break due to illness, so I started over and am doing doubles once in a while. I look forward to being able to both give and get some support from all of you here.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Jo here! I have actually done P90X in the fall and dabbled a bit in both Rev Abs and Hip Hop Abs. Am on day 18 of my Combat journey and loving it. I had started it previously and had to take a break due to illness, so I started over and am doing doubles once in a while. I look forward to being able to both give and get some support from all of you here.

Oh how great..welcome Jo! :) I'm glad you joined us. How do you like it so far? Are you using the gloves? I'm getting antsy to start hahaha
  • Run4Me2Day
    Options
    I do not use the gloves, but I truely love Combat, I think it is my go to workout...before I know it my workout is done, and it is always a change up of punching and kicking.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    I do not use the gloves, but I truely love Combat, I think it is my go to workout...before I know it my workout is done, and it is always a change up of punching and kicking.

Awesome! 2 more weeks and I'm in!!! I have loved Insanity, but I'm ready to do something else now lol.
  • luisalg14
    luisalg14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,
    great to hear you are enjoying the LM Combat programme. I still have 3 weeks left of Insanity, but am planning on starting Combat right away after it.
    I used to live in New Zealand (where Combat was created) and enjoyed going to its classes at the gym a lot, so that's what's attracted me to getting the programme.

I'm quite interested in martial arts in general, and, in fact, want to get fit so that I can pursue training in kickboxing and muay thai. I'm sitll a way away after having lived quite unhealthily for the last couple of years, but I'm slowly getting there!

I'm currently also doing the Chalean Extreme workout (entering the 3rd phase next week), so I guess you could say I'm a bit of a Beachbody fan :tongue: Hopefully Combat will be great as well. I'm going to get the ultimate kit.
  • Run4Me2Day
    Options
    Hey guys,
    great to hear you are enjoying the LM Combat programme. I still have 3 weeks left of Insanity, but am planning on starting Combat right away after it.
    I used to live in New Zealand (where Combat was created) and enjoyed going to its classes at the gym a lot, so that's what's attracted me to getting the programme.

I'm quite interested in martial arts in general, and, in fact, want to get fit so that I can pursue training in kickboxing and muay thai. I'm sitll a way away after having lived quite unhealthily for the last couple of years, but I'm slowly getting there!

I'm currently also doing the Chalean Extreme workout (entering the 3rd phase next week), so I guess you could say I'm a bit of a Beachbody fan :tongue: Hopefully Combat will be great as well. I'm going to get the ultimate kit.
    I am with you on that one.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Hey guys,

That's so great!! I saw they have the new Grit series as well for Les Mills. They really create some awesome stuff. :) I won't be starting for 2 weeks yet so no worries. I'm sure we will all kick some butt!
  • VAGirl2BFit
    VAGirl2BFit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm just checking out the boards on the Les Mills Combat. I'm thinking of starting this coming week. Trying to figure out what two days a week I want to be my rest days so that I'm more likely to be able to stick to it. Also trying to figure out how hard these DVDs are - as in if they are going to be too hard to keep up with co-ordination wise. My sister is on her 2nd round of 90 days and has had amazing results. I think doing them and having a daily check in and accountability will help like with anything of course.

Also, how do you count these workouts with giving yourself credit for calories burned? Are you counting them as Kickboxing? High Impact/Low Impact Aerobics? Or are you using a HRM? curious...

Good Luck!!
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    I'm just checking out the boards on the Les Mills Combat. I'm thinking of starting this coming week. Trying to figure out what two days a week I want to be my rest days so that I'm more likely to be able to stick to it. Also trying to figure out how hard these DVDs are - as in if they are going to be too hard to keep up with co-ordination wise. My sister is on her 2nd round of 90 days and has had amazing results. I think doing them and having a daily check in and accountability will help like with anything of course.

Also, how do you count these workouts with giving yourself credit for calories burned? Are you counting them as Kickboxing? High Impact/Low Impact Aerobics? Or are you using a HRM? curious...

Good Luck!!

Welcome aboard!! :) I know 2 of the current members have already started so hopefully they stop by and see this post. As for counting cals - I use the BodyMedia LINK armband and that tracks my exercise cals. Some people use a HRM, but for logging on here if you don't have a HRM - I would be inclined to log as either kickboxing or calisthenics vigorous effort maybe? I know they will be intense workouts for sure.

It really will be helpful to have daily check-ins - I know having a group to chat with helps keep me accountable. I love challenge groups :)
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I always log the workouts in as the following:

Power Kata/Combat Live 60/Extreme Cardio Fighter 60/Kick Start 30: Kickboxing (including Turbojam)

Power HIIT/Plyo HIIT: Circuit Training

Core Attack: Sit-ups (vigorous)

I would not be surprised if the above choices over-compensate or under-compensate (e.g., I'm probably burning more for Plyo HIIT than circuit training, and less for Core Attack), and in addition to that I don't completely eat back all of my calories.

FYI, I graduated a couple of days after Mother's Day, but I for the past couple of weeks I have been rotating between different LMC workouts and trying out some of the Tapout XT ones about 4-5 days a week. However, LMC has been a life-changer for me because it's something I feel like I can sustain for a long time and that is a lot of fun. So....I can't stop talking about it and hope y'all don't mind me chiming in. :)
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    I always log the workouts in as the following:

Power Kata/Combat Live 60/Extreme Cardio Fighter 60/Kick Start 30: Kickboxing (including Turbojam)

Power HIIT/Plyo HIIT: Circuit Training

Core Attack: Sit-ups (vigorous)

I would not be surprised if the above choices over-compensate or under-compensate (e.g., I'm probably burning more for Plyo HIIT than circuit training, and less for Core Attack), and in addition to that I don't completely eat back all of my calories.

FYI, I graduated a couple of days after Mother's Day, but I for the past couple of weeks I have been rotating between different LMC workouts and trying out some of the Tapout XT ones about 4-5 days a week. However, LMC has been a life-changer for me because it's something I feel like I can sustain for a long time and that is a lot of fun. So....I can't stop talking about it and hope y'all don't mind me chiming in. :)

That's great info! I hope the others see that. Please feel free to chime in at any time, I'm sure your advice and info will be appreciated for all of us just getting started. :flowerforyou:

ETA - Copying this info over to the sticky I just created for 'nutrition/for tips'
  • Run4Me2Day
    Options

Good Luck!!

I use a heart rate monitor and created the workouts in my exercises..Then when I log them I just update the calories burned, because for me it varies from workout to workout. And I am on week 4, would be more then glad to help answer any questions.
    I would be lost without my Heart Rate Monitor!
  • 20kb13
    20kb13 Posts: 161
    Options
    Sorry I haven't been checking in very much, I've been super busy and my hours are weird. But anyway here is my introduction...

My name is Kristie, just turned 27 and finished my Master's degree which means I have more time to devote to working on myself (and to look for a federal job to pay off these student loans, but that is a whole different story). I'm a police dispatcher working the overnight shift... so basically I sit on my *kitten* a LOT and they always have all kinds of bad food in that room. I've realized recently that I've never really cared much about myself... not enough to do anything about it I guess. Now that I'm getting closer to 30, feel that my life is passing me by so quickly, and the fact that I have no potential guys in my life I'm starting to care more about myself. I've always had the body image issues, but I never did anything about it. I did spend a few weeks at a fitness camp in California when I was 16 but gained the weight back when school started back up and I couldn't afford to buy the foods I was given there or get in the exercise. I was never good at sports and was always the one out of breath jogging the track in gym class.

Jan of this year I decided I wanted to change my life, even though I was still finishing up school I realized I always had some kind of excuse why I was too busy... yes I worked 2 jobs and went to school full-time for awhile, but even when I was unemployed I ended up gaining weight. Although I still haven't made it to Onderland and all of the weight I've lost came from anywhere but my belly, I can say that I feel more fit than I ever have.... I'm still totally out of breath from jogging but I can do it more than I could before. I still get bad shin splints when I attempt to walk or run on a treadmill, but I'm working on being able to run one day and being more fit.

I chose Les Mills Combat because I saw it on TV a few times and then our wonderful group creator mentioned starting it. I love MMA so why haven't I thought about doing it before anyway. My goal is to complete all 60 days and then move on to Tapout XT or another Beachbody workout.

I look forward to doing this with all of you and feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Run4Me2Day
    Options
    Sorry I haven't been checking in very much, I've been super busy and my hours are weird. But anyway here is my introduction...

My name is Kristie, just turned 27 and finished my Master's degree which means I have more time to devote to working on myself (and to look for a federal job to pay off these student loans, but that is a whole different story). I'm a police dispatcher working the overnight shift... so basically I sit on my *kitten* a LOT and they always have all kinds of bad food in that room. I've realized recently that I've never really cared much about myself... not enough to do anything about it I guess. Now that I'm getting closer to 30, feel that my life is passing me by so quickly, and the fact that I have no potential guys in my life I'm starting to care more about myself. I've always had the body image issues, but I never did anything about it. I did spend a few weeks at a fitness camp in California when I was 16 but gained the weight back when school started back up and I couldn't afford to buy the foods I was given there or get in the exercise. I was never good at sports and was always the one out of breath jogging the track in gym class.

Jan of this year I decided I wanted to change my life, even though I was still finishing up school I realized I always had some kind of excuse why I was too busy... yes I worked 2 jobs and went to school full-time for awhile, but even when I was unemployed I ended up gaining weight. Although I still haven't made it to Onderland and all of the weight I've lost came from anywhere but my belly, I can say that I feel more fit than I ever have.... I'm still totally out of breath from jogging but I can do it more than I could before. I still get bad shin splints when I attempt to walk or run on a treadmill, but I'm working on being able to run one day and being more fit.

I chose Les Mills Combat because I saw it on TV a few times and then our wonderful group creator mentioned starting it. I love MMA so why haven't I thought about doing it before anyway. My goal is to complete all 60 days and then move on to Tapout XT or another Beachbody workout.

I look forward to doing this with all of you and feel free to add me as a friend!

It is never to late to change your life! I am 42 and realized I needed to make some changes and was unhappy with how I had allowed myself to become. You can do this and we are all here to support you in any way we can! Life stays busy and things can get in the way, but taking time for yourself is huge and will make all the difference in the world...I am so happy for you that you are doing it early in life.
  • karach2005
    karach2005 Posts: 7
    Options
    This is my first post on MFP. I've been using this site since March and it has been so helpful. I saw this group and since I just started combat today, I thought I'd join!

I'm Kara, 41 years old, and live in China. I'm an English teacher and love working here. I've lived here almost 11 years now. About 4 years ago I lost 30 lbs and have been committed to keep a healthier lifestyle since then. I do pretty well when I'm in China, but then I return home to New Mexico for vacations and can't resist New Mexican food. So, I always gain a few extra pounds over the winter vacation and spend the Spring getting back in better shape.

I like Kenpo/Cardio Kickboxing/Tae Bo style workouts best, so I'm excited to get into Combat. I really enjoyed Combat 30 this afternoon. I'm only planning on doing 4 days a week of Combat, so will be a little off from the calendar.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    This is my first post on MFP. I've been using this site since March and it has been so helpful. I saw this group and since I just started combat today, I thought I'd join!

I'm Kara, 41 years old, and live in China. I'm an English teacher and love working here. I've lived here almost 11 years now. About 4 years ago I lost 30 lbs and have been committed to keep a healthier lifestyle since then. I do pretty well when I'm in China, but then I return home to New Mexico for vacations and can't resist New Mexican food. So, I always gain a few extra pounds over the winter vacation and spend the Spring getting back in better shape.

I like Kenpo/Cardio Kickboxing/Tae Bo style workouts best, so I'm excited to get into Combat. I really enjoyed Combat 30 this afternoon. I'm only planning on doing 4 days a week of Combat, so will be a little off from the calendar.

Yay!! Welcome to our awesome group. I look forward to seeing your results in these 4 weeks :)
  • BeTheBestMe76
    Options
    I'm a 37 year old working wife and mother who has had trouble sticking to diets and workout routines, mainly because I have a very busy schedule. In the mornings I rush to get myself and the kids to school and work on time, and in the evenings it's all about the family (after school programs, homework, dinner, baths, etc). I've tried working out at lunch, but as soon as things get busy at work that get's messed up. By evening time I'm worn out and I don't feel like exercising.

As far as food, it was usually food on the go and poor choices. I have a pretty bad sweet tooth, I rarely planned meals, and I didn't cook much....yes, all ingredients for a recipe for disaster!

In the past, when I exercised and/or ate healthy, it was usually in spurts. I'd been succesful in losing weight several times, but I always gained it all back (plus more). I've done juice fasts, partial fasts, fat smash...you name it, I've probably tried it.

Two weeks ago I committed myself to waking up at 5 AM early to do my Combat workout and planning my meals and eating within the parameters suggested in the nutrition guide. In spite of straining my quad muscle during the first week, I have not missed a workout, I've stuck to the eating plan and am already beginning to see visible results.

I look forward to everyday of this journey and I can't wait to compare my Day 60 pictures & measurements to day 1. To do nothing is no longer an option.....I have to be better about taking care of myself and setting a good example for my kids. I HAVE TO do it this time, and with lots of prayer, hard work and committment, I know that I CAN!
  • Run4Me2Day
    Options

Welcome to the group! If you loved kenpo then you will Love your Combat journey! Keep us posted.
  • Run4Me2Day
    Options
    I'm a 37 year old working wife and mother who has had trouble sticking to diets and workout routines, mainly because I have a very busy schedule. In the mornings I rush to get myself and the kids to school and work on time, and in the evenings it's all about the family (after school programs, homework, dinner, baths, etc). I've tried working out at lunch, but as soon as things get busy at work that get's messed up. By evening time I'm worn out and I don't feel like exercising.

As far as food, it was usually food on the go and poor choices. I have a pretty bad sweet tooth, I rarely planned meals, and I didn't cook much....yes, all ingredients for a recipe for disaster!

In the past, when I exercised and/or ate healthy, it was usually in spurts. I'd been succesful in losing weight several times, but I always gained it all back (plus more). I've done juice fasts, partial fasts, fat smash...you name it, I've probably tried it.

Two weeks ago I committed myself to waking up at 5 AM early to do my Combat workout and planning my meals and eating within the parameters suggested in the nutrition guide. In spite of straining my quad muscle during the first week, I have not missed a workout, I've stuck to the eating plan and am already beginning to see visible results.

I look forward to everyday of this journey and I can't wait to compare my Day 60 pictures & measurements to day 1. To do nothing is no longer an option.....I have to be better about taking care of myself and setting a good example for my kids. I HAVE TO do it this time, and with lots of prayer, hard work and committment, I know that I CAN!
    That is GREAT! I am glad you are able to stick to morning workouts. I can't seem to get my butt out of bed for that....I am in the middle of week 4, and am close to taking my 30 day pictures...I think there will be a difference...
  • RoseTears143
    Options

Welcome! I'm so glad you joined us. I am already excited to see your day 1 vs day 60 photos. I have a feeling they will be good. :) Good for you on finding a schedule you can work with. I wish I could do my workouts in the morning - but I already get up at 4:30 to get ready for work since I have an 1:15 DRIVE ONE WAY UGH!!! lol SO my workouts are done after I get home around 5pm ish and I usually eat dinner late and go to bed late -_-. BUT in the end it IS worth it :)