Please help me settle an argument

Options
Eeniespal
Eeniespal Posts: 3 Member
Hi Everyone - I'm new on here and like the look and sound of this forum and look forward to interacting with y'all in the future... however I was wondering if anyone was first able to help me settle an argument with my husband...... according to him and his golfing buddies - women feel threatened by better looking women and prefer to make friends with women who are not as attractive as them. They have created this theory by noticing in coffee shops that if there is a good looking woman then she has unattractive friends..... yes I know this is a superficial question and as a woman I only choose to be friends with women who I like - looks don't come into it - but if I was forced to be superficial and choose hypothetically, for the sake of this argument, that if their personalities were the same, I would go for the better looking one (or at least a better groomed one).

So.... in a nutshell - do you think they're right in that women would prefer to be friends with less attractive women in order to make themselves look better? (I think that's rubbish but so far I only have my opinion to fight back with)

Thanks in advance (and apologies if I have offended anyone - it's only meant as a light hearted query)

Replies

• Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm on your team on this one. Women bond for all sorts of reasons and I'd like to think that picking a friend because she's less attractive than yourself is not one of them! Maybe you have similar interests, you have children the same age, you go to the same gym or you met through another fun friend etc...Sounds like they are zoning in on groups to fulfil their entertaining prophecy. I bet if they are not focusing on the "pretty one" to begin with they'll notice plenty of women hanging together who are likely on a similar attractiveness scale! I am sure there are some women out there that might do this but they are shallow and insecure and hopefully few and far between!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I am friends with women of all shapes, sizes, attractiveness, sexual orientation, races and class.
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I think people choose friends with similar interests, values, stage in life etc. . For example, I am Indian but was brought up in the US so most of my friends are first generation to the US, not necessarily Indian but Chinese, Indian, Korean etc. In fact I think I am the least attractive of the bunch but maybe that is just me.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    that is something girls did in high school or maybe college. It's an immaturity that we females should have outgrown in college.

hopefully. for the most part.
  • Eeniespal
    Eeniespal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Brilliant - thanks everyone - just as I thought - now to put those men in their place....... !
  • sassynkp
    sassynkp Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If this is the case, wouldn't every woman in the group think they are the "pretty" one?
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    The girls I'm friends with are ones with whom I have fun and share common interests. I also think all my friends are gorgeous. The kind of people who base their friendships on looks are easy to spot as they tend to be superficial and catty. I'm not friends with those women.

Plus I've known men who were just as superficial about whom they choose to have as their friends. This isn't a phenomenon unique to just women.
  • jumpthemoon
    jumpthemoon Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've never looked at it that way. I have no issue saying that I have dear friends who I think are better looking than me and some that I'm guessing I'm better looking than, but that never mattered to me. True friendship is not superficial, it's genuine and sees beyond what a person looks like, the car they drive, the clothes they wear or the job they have to the heart and soul of that friend. I couldn't have a more diverse group of dear friends and I love it! We number only a few, but they are my extended family and we're always there for each other.