Home Gym Setup

Options
Vonwarr
Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
Putting together a home gym setup for powerlifting - would love any feedback you have.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvKjGoHW2uJ7dDJ3LUNna1lYbndRY2NSQUpSSHZoWWc&usp=sharing

Edit: I'm from Canada.

Replies

• Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would not bother with mirrors, but it's up to you. The best flooring is simply horse stall mats, it will pretty much stand up to anything and go for 40-60 for a 4x8 piece in the U.S. They are also great for cutting up into about 8 tile sections to move around and use for blocks or deficit pulls or whatever else. Adjustable dumbbells shouldn't run you too much, especially if you find some that fit oly plates so you don't need to buy standard ones. The only other staple in my gym is the free-spotter. Maybe some plate storage?

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the stuff you listed so I can't give you feedback in that regard but it looks solid.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll look into the horse stall mats, and a plate tree.

I have 6 adjustable dumbbells with a large amount of "standard" weight plates, so I'm already set for dumbbells.

The free spotter thing looks kind of interesting but not really my thing.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    The essentials IMO:

Plywood + Horse mats for deadlift platform
    A quality power rack that you won't outgrow in a few years
    a good barbell (I have a texas power bar and love it)
    500+ in plates.
    chalk
    ammonia caps - instant PR.

You can get strong with just those things. Some other stuff that I've added over the last 2 years:

Safety Squat Bar - allowed me to squat with a shoulder injury. improved my deadlift also
    Bands. They're cheap and versatile. I don't do a lot of lifts against bands, but they're great for warmup and for doing rear delt work.
    plate loadable dumbbells
    plate tree

Also pick up some of those cheap "puzzle piece" mats you can get at your local Wal-Mart (or whatever you have in canada). They work great for setting up the bar for block pulls, deficit pulls, etc.
  • MeadeNJ
    MeadeNJ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have about 450 lbs olympic weights, bench, simple squat rack, saw-horses and a cement floor....been on the Wendler 5-3-1 for about 5 months and feeling good. I'm thinking of getting a real power rack for safety, any recommendations (and keeping the $ low) - I tried craigslist and ebay...I'm willing to buy new if it's good quality.
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Keep checking craigslist, at least in my area stuff is put up all the time. You just have to sift through all the cheap weight benches to get to the good stuff over time.