Lifting

Options
I know this may probably be in the forums somewhere, but I'd rather post my own thoughts and concerns about this...so here goes...(it won't be long, promise)....I see a lot of people saying how they're lifting now, is that mandatory to reach your weight (along with the right amount of intake, of course) or can you do the elliptical and workout tapes? I don't have weights at home and I certainly don't have the money to go to the gym, so with that said, will I have success? Any suggestions, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    U can go in for body weight exercise program
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    For me, I'm doing lifting to try to maintain muscle rather than to lose weight. I don't think it has particularly helped me lose weight - in fact, it makes me hungry, and I've also read that eating a deficit can make lifting more difficult! However, I think there are health benefits of lifting, and it's fun sometimes! I've had problems with not having gym access, and when I can't I use bodyweight exercise (alongside lighter weight exercises that I can do with home weights). I do think it's important to do some sort of resistance training.
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I know this may probably be in the forums somewhere, but I'd rather post my own thoughts and concerns about this...so here goes...(it won't be long, promise)....I see a lot of people saying how they're lifting now, is that mandatory to reach your weight (along with the right amount of intake, of course) or can you do the elliptical and workout tapes? I don't have weights at home and I certainly don't have the money to go to the gym, so with that said, will I have success? Any suggestions, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

For me and many others, it's the only way to really get the "shape" I want . Lifting heavy weight is certainly not required, but bodyweight exercises at least will maintain and build more muscle which is always the goal, especially as we get older. (Squats, pushups, lunges, etc.) You don't have to go crazy with it.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Oh okay...I thought by "lifting" it meant to go and start lifing 100 lbs haha...so, I could just use lighter weights, like 8-10lbs?
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    yes, and invest in some heavier weights as you get stronger. I use Chalean Extreme 90 day program. Chalean is great and it's all about using dumbells and your own body weight to build strength and get leaner. It's 3x a week with 2x cardio and stretch. She's very motivating and explains things very well. The point is to lift heavy enough to fail at 10-12 reps, slow and steady. Hard but great and only 35-45 minutes per circuit.