Question about hirsutism and dark patches of skin

Options
Question to those who have PCOS:

I have hirsutism and dark patches of skin caused by the PCOS. I’m trying to lose weight and I’m wondering, will losing weight lessen them and/or make them disappear?

I also have a ton of other lovely PCOS problems: metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance, abnormal periods, overweight, acne and oily skin, cystic acne, cysts on my ovaries, and some other things. I’m taking birth control and I’m also on Spirnolactone. I can’t take Metformin after years of trying to take it because my body can’t handle it. I know that losing weight will be an all around good thing, but I’m really wondering, will it help the hirsutism and dark patches of skin?

Replies

• anu127
    anu127 Posts: 8
    Options
    i too had dark patches around neck.. my doc adviced that they would be dissappear if my hormone level get normal..
    these dark patches does not have any link with weight..
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Its caused by the insulin resistance, its common in diabetics (neck, underarms, knees, elbows most common) its called Acanthosis Nigricans

Sadly it wont go away until your hormones are sorted (i still have it under my arms but not as bad as i used to)
  • anu127
    Options
    how can this be possible.. i tested and my blood sugar came normal.. then why i am having these dark patches???
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    its sensitivity to insulin more than producing to much, just like you are having problems with other hormones especially if you suffer from hiritisum.

I'll try to explain it

The more fat you have, the more resistance your body has against your hormones acting normally, so it produces more/makes you more sensitive to them, thus causing problems. its a bit like doing the doggy paddle in water (normal) or doggy paddle in syrup (takes alot more effort - if you've ever watched mythbusters you'll get the ref!)

I got laser on my legs, otherwise i would have bushes on my legs after half a day (used to hate school and skirts cause 5 oclock shadows at midday!!)
  • anu127
    Options
    so this is the reason why my prescribed metformin