Coming close to the end of my first week.

Options
So this is the first week i started using adipex. I have noticed that with the right exercise and food i have lost 9 pounds this week. This is the first time ever i could shed of that pregnancy weight that i have been carrying around and dreading. I also am on a strict diet and drink plenty of water. Anyone else out there taking adipex? If so post anything you would like :-)

Replies

• daltem
    daltem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I started on adipex in April and have lost 31 lbs. I have about the same left to lose. I've lost a lot using it before but didnt keep the weight off. This time I believe I'm learning how to eat and not just shedding lbs.

Good luck everone!

Ps- two of my doctors ( well three if you count the weightloss doctor) say its ok to take but suggest I stay on it about a year and stop.
  • faunae17
    faunae17 Posts: 17
    Options
    I am on this medicine, too. I've been going to a weight-loss center since mid January. I've lost 34 lbs. I'm getting tired of restricting my calories and it seems my body isn't responding to the pill like it had a few months ago. Any suggestions?
  • daltem
    Options
    That happened to me the last time I took it. I went off for a couple of days and went back on. It helped me but I don't think I could go off right now- you know the mind set thing. I know at the weightloss center here they have other meds they can switch you to. Maybe they do there as well. Good luck!
  • hebrew12
    hebrew12 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi everyone, can I join this post if I am currently taking Phentermine 37.5 the generic for Adipex?
  • ashlovesjesse
    Options
    Of course you can :-)
  • ashlovesjesse
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions to the certain types of foods that will help you shed thoes pounds faster? today i ate the wrong food for lunch and now i have 5 calories left for my day. I guess i could call today my cheat day :-(
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I have an appt at weight loss clinic on Thursday. Any tips or tricks you'd like to share?
  • shortie_sarah
    shortie_sarah Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    hello there! I'm so glad I found this group. I started taking Phentermine 37.5 (Adipex) 5/24. I've lost 2.8 pounds so far. I am sticking to 1200 calories or less a day and have been walking over 1.5 miles a day as well. This is a lifestyle change for me though, not just a fad diet or a short term thing. I make all my calories count. I'm eating very healthy foods and staying away from any sorts of junk foods. Yes, even those 100 cal packs of doritos or high fat crackers and such. I want to train myself to dislike all those foods that are bad for you. I want to learn how to crave the healthy food and despise all the bad ones.

My mind is already in the right place. All I have to think about is all the damage that bad food has done to me and it's easy to say no to it. Yes, maybe all that bad food tasted really good for the short time that it took to chew and swallow...but look at how detrimental it is to you afterwards. First comes the weight gain, then comes the negative emotional effect from the weight gain. Then, quite possibly some really bad feelings about your self-image, and finally, your whole self-confidence is out the window. Not to mention all the damage it does on a health level. I know all of this because this is exactly what being overweight has done to me. I am done allowing it to control me. So therefore, I am removing all of those things out of my life. Do pizza, chips, and cheeseburgers taste good? Yes, they do. Is tasting that food worth the damage it has done to me? NO!

The reason I am taking phentermine is to aide me in starting my lifestyle change. I am using it to help me get used to smaller portions since the pill makes me full so quickly. I have done a lot of research on this medication. What I have learned is that people can lose a ton of weight while using it, but they also must eat properly and exercise. A huge downside is that when most people go off of the medication they end up gaining it all back or even more because they did not continue to eat and exercise the way they should. This medication is intended to be an aide to you. To help you learn how to properly eat and exercise (bc it gives you energy) so that way when you get off of it, that will now be what comes natural to you. This medicine is not intended to be taken long term. The usual allowance is 3-4 months as it can be a habit forming medicine.

The best way to succeed in weight loss is to have your mind in the right place like I have explained above. At least that's my opinion. What could be better than actually knowing the harm that bad food can do to you and then using that negative result to say NO to those foods? You have to train yourself to no longer want those foods and in time, I am sure those foods will no longer taste good to you anymore. I'm sure they will all taste too sweet, too salty, and too greasy to you. You will eventually learn to crave healthy foods. Of course, as with most life changing things, this all takes time. We won't be on this medication forever so make the most of your time on it and learn how to properly care for yourself with the right nutrition and exercise. From what I've read, the best kind of fat burning exercise is low-impact cardio for at least 30 minutes a day, 4-6 days a week.

We can do this!! I know we can!! We just all have to have to be in the right frame of mind to succeed. KNOWING you're going to succeed before you actually do, ensures that you WILL succeed!

p.s. Just a little side note about cheat days... Everyone has their own opinions about them and they can usually be harmless, but sometimes they can be the exact thing that brings you down. If you are trying for they type of mindset that I now have (that bad foods are now forbidden), then I advise against a cheat day. Only because this could undo any work that your body has put towards forgetting about that food. If you keep the taste familiar to you, you will never learn to dislike it. However, if you go a long time with eating nothing but healthy foods, then later try your old favorite, you may find that you no longer like it. (I am not trying to put down on anyone that has a cheat day, I promise).
  • daltem
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions to the certain types of foods that will help you shed thoes pounds faster? today i ate the wrong food for lunch and now i have 5 calories left for my day. I guess i could call today my cheat day :-(

I snack on dill pickles. The salt and crunch usually satisfies my munchiness. Plus they are zero to 5 calories a pickle!!!!!
  • daltem
    Options
    I've had a few days where I've eaten like crap but last week I gained 1.4 lbs and this week I stayed the same :(
    I'm still walking. At the end of the week both weeks I've assumed I have still burned up more calories than I've taken in but ...UGH..
    I'm just at a loss.

Thoughts?
  • shortie_sarah
    Options
    I've had a few days where I've eaten like crap but last week I gained 1.4 lbs and this week I stayed the same :(
    I'm still walking. At the end of the week both weeks I've assumed I have still burned up more calories than I've taken in but ...UGH..
    I'm just at a loss.

Thoughts?

Maybe you let yourself stray away from your calories just a bit too much? Are you logging in your exercise? If so, are you sure your calories burned are accurate? and are you sure you are logging in the calories that you take in accurately? I'm just naming so things that could possibly lead to the weight gain and staying the same..

I know that I have to go out and buy a new scale. I always knew that it was never really consistent. I'll get on and it will say one thing, then get back on and it will say another. It's been inconsistent. Well according to my scale this morning, I gained 1.4 pounds since yesterday. I KNOW this is NOT true. I have not gone over on my calories at all and I have actually stayed under my calories. Which I know isn't wise to do but it's hard to eat more when this med makes me so full. But anyways, I know that staying under your calories will make you lose weight slower, but it won't make yo gain weight so I know it's my scale that is messed up. Especially with it being so inconsistent..
  • daltem
    Options
    I use map my walk for the calories burned but I'm not sure how accurate it is- sometimes I wonder. And I do know that this week we went out to dinner one night at a Brazilian bbq place and I had no idea how to figure out the calories so I just added in 2000 and called it a day. If anything I'd say I'm under on my calories but I'll pay more attention and see - Thanks!
  • Mrz_tyler
    Mrz_tyler Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi i have been on phentermine for 12 days and so far lost 12 lbs. Went from 217 .8 to 205.4. The first week was kinda rough due to the side effects, but then i started on taking a half a pill and i feel fine now. I do feel like i under eat most of the time 500-700 calories a day, but i feel fine so so be it as long as im losing weight i dont care. Im hoping to be down to 150 in a couple of months. I think anyone who wants to lose weight fast should try it and see how you like it because it literally makes you not hungry at all and the only thing i.ve been fiening for is apple juice for some reason. So how has it been going for you so far ? Also idont any bad carbs like bread, pasta, rice ect. Most days all i eat is corn flakes for lunch and around 8 o clock i eat a stick of cheese and a yoplait yogurt. I know it isnt much but it satisfies me. The only real bad side effect i still have is real bad indegestion since i already suffered from it before so i pop tums and other things all day. Another thing is i never have a bm idk if its because im barely eating or what so every few days imdo a saltwater flush and i feel better. So yeah how are you guys doing ?
  • shortie_sarah
    Options
    Hi i have been on phentermine for 12 days and so far lost 12 lbs. Went from 217 .8 to 205.4. The first week was kinda rough due to the side effects, but then i started on taking a half a pill and i feel fine now. I do feel like i under eat most of the time 500-700 calories a day, but i feel fine so so be it as long as im losing weight i dont care. Im hoping to be down to 150 in a couple of months. I think anyone who wants to lose weight fast should try it and see how you like it because it literally makes you not hungry at all and the only thing i.ve been fiening for is apple juice for some reason. So how has it been going for you so far ? Also idont any bad carbs like bread, pasta, rice ect. Most days all i eat is corn flakes for lunch and around 8 o clock i eat a stick of cheese and a yoplait yogurt. I know it isnt much but it satisfies me. The only real bad side effect i still have is real bad indegestion since i already suffered from it before so i pop tums and other things all day. Another thing is i never have a bm idk if its because im barely eating or what so every few days imdo a saltwater flush and i feel better. So yeah how are you guys doing ?

Today is day 13 for me and I'm at 9 pounds lost. (starting wt: 164.4 current wt: 155.4). I'm with you on not having any bm's. Sadly that's a side effect of the medicine. It's tough for me to get in 1200 calories too. I'm lucky if I make 900 cals for the day. The med has definitely given me the boost I needed to feel like I can actually do this.
  • jreckart2003
    Options
    I just started taking phentermine 37.5 today. I must say that I am a bit jittery and am hoping that will subside in a few days. My staring weight is 253. I am 5'3" and 37 yrs. old. I am really hoping that this helps to kick start a healthier me. I am counting my calories as well and working out 3-4x/wk. I am mainly doing water aerobics as I have a bad knee (starting physical therapy for that next week). I am excited to see what I lose. I live in Ohio so we can only take this for 3 months and then be off for 6. So, it really is about helping me to make a lifestyle change so that I can keep it up after the 3 months. I look forward to seeing all of your success stories :)
  • daltem
    Options
    I just started taking phentermine 37.5 today. I must say that I am a bit jittery and am hoping that will subside in a few days. My staring weight is 253. I am 5'3" and 37 yrs. old. I am really hoping that this helps to kick start a healthier me. I am counting my calories as well and working out 3-4x/wk. I am mainly doing water aerobics as I have a bad knee (starting physical therapy for that next week). I am excited to see what I lose. I live in Ohio so we can only take this for 3 months and then be off for 6. So, it really is about helping me to make a lifestyle change so that I can keep it up after the 3 months. I look forward to seeing all of your success stories :)

Is taking it for a certain length of time an Ohio state law or how the doctor prescribes?
  • jreckart2003
    Options
    My doctor stated that she could only prescribe for 3 months and then I would have to be off for 6. I have read other posts that this has been the same so I am assuming that it is an Ohio law.

I can say though, the jitters have subsided ":)
  • jreckart2003
    Options
    My first night - I slept horrible. I hope that the insomnia supsides or this is going to be along 3 months!
  • shortie_sarah
    Options
    Is taking it for a certain length of time an Ohio state law or how the doctor prescribes?

It can be extremely habit forming (addictive) so most doctors put a limit on it. Besides, the effects of it start to wear off sometimes before that. I've been taking 1/2 a pill for over 2 weeks now and I can already tell that I will need to switch to a full pill very soon.
  • jreckart2003
    Options
    Yes, my doctor says that this is the way that it is prescribed in Ohio as it can lead to addiction. I knew this going in to taking Phetermine. I think that it is good that there is a limit on how long you can take it. Because of this, I need to make the right changes so that I can continue loosing on my own.

As an update, I am sleeping through the night without problem now. I must have adjusted after the first couple of days. Also, the jitters are much less and I don't feel like I am talking a mile a minute. Overall, I am happy with the way things are going so far.

Tomorrow I will have been on Phetermine for a week and have lost almost 9 lbs.