your experience/advice on cutting body fat percentage

Options
ktm96
ktm96 Posts: 61 Member
I wanna cut my body fat percentage to around 17%, im at around 22-23% right now. my goal is to get to 17 in july. any stories about your results and experiences would be greatly appreciated or any advice or tips at all. thanks! I am 5'7 and weight 129 pounds, mind you I am a girl ;)

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Walk, keeping your heart rate between 60 - 75% of maximum.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been there before, chances are your BF% is higher than you think it is.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Your advice is walking?

Lets get some bavkground first.
    Do you weight train at all?
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Your advice is walking?

^this^

plus, at your height and weight, with a BF in the low 20s (assuming you have had this measured), I'd be very certain that one of the reaasons your bf is this high is a lack of LBM.
    Do you know how much LBM you have and BF in KGS or LBS? They are the numbers you should be looking at.
    BF% can be extremely misleading.

I would think a good weight training program with a diet designed to keep you around your current weight but recomposition your body would be a good thing (drive up your LBM and lower your BF in the process).
  • ktm96
    Options
    about 100 pounds lean body mass
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Your advice is walking?

Okay, maybe I shouldn't have assumed she was lifting, but this is a bodybuilding group. And yes, the best way to shed fat without losing muscle mass is to do low intensity cardio (55 - 75% of MHR). And keep lifting heavy.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    As heavy as you can go on weights without sacrificing form (if you can do 10-12 reps without a problem, increase your weight and do 5-8) and make sure you are getting at least 1g of protein per lb of body weight. Lastly, make sure you are eating enough calories and are not taking too deep of a deficit - If you eat low calorie and also burn a lot of calories you will just lose muscle which is completely counterproductive to what you are trying to do. I see so many women do this and they are unable to decrease body fat and are completely unable to recomposition; until they change what they are doing, they are not going to get the body they want. The more LBM you have, the higher your metabolism will be. This is what worked for me.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I've cut bodyfat by being in a calorie deficit and lifting heavy things.
  • boldlol
    boldlol Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    so did I
  • ktm96
    Options
    my lbm is 100 and i weigh 127 pounds, any advice on how much i should eat?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    it is very hard to give advice without actually seeing a pic and where you want to be eventually.

But going by height, weight and your BF% estimate it sounds like you may need to gain some LBM rather than lose fat. If that is the case, I'd eat around maintenance or slight surplus (as women can't gain LBM easily).

How did you get your BF% tested as there are some methods which are quite unreliable. (as in good to track progress but the actual %'s are a bit off).