Anyone having a rough time with pushups?

Options
dewsmom78
dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
I am on week 7 and I still can only do about 5 military pushups, let alone do them on one leg or bring a leg up to my elbow. Do I need to stay on workouts 7 & 8 a few extra weeks? I can handle plank moves, but pushups just kill me.

Replies

• Zilla100
    Zilla100 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    is it your wrists? I am getting some pain in my left wrist from all the planks/pushups, and I read today that you should try putting more of the pressure on the outside of your palms, which can handle it better, to avoid wrist injuries.

Yeah, military pushups are definitely harder..I would just do what you can, then do the bent knee ones for the rest if that is the problem. I don't see the harm in extending the time spent on certain stages if it helps you find your correct form and full ability.
  • dewsmom78
    Options
    No it's not my wrists, it's just the pure weight of not being able to push myself back up. My arms are just not strong enough.
  • heathercarver96
    heathercarver96 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I cannot do that many pushups either. I am on week 5. I blame it on my heaviness on top. haha!
  • mellymo29
    mellymo29 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I cannot keep my back straight when I lower myself so that arms are horizontal. My pelvis droops. I think my core/lower back are too weak still.
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are having some of the same issues. I am just doing what I can and moving on because I plan to redo this again eventually (probably something different in between) and I figured it will give me something to work towards. :-p My husband's wrists are hurting. I don't mind it in my wrists but I can only lift my own body weight so many times before I'm too fatigued to move another inch! Lol.
  • dewsmom78
    Options
    Thanks. I think I will just move forward with the program as normal. I also agree, I plan on either re-doing this workout at one point or doing some of her other dvd's. I have 30DS already, so I may do that once I complete BR.
  • tallieterp
    tallieterp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    the youtube clip zilla posted earlier in a discussion was great... jillian talks about just pushing to as far as you can go and then dropping to your knees then pushing back up again until you need to drop down again... and if need be substituting more static moves like just holding a plank... *thanks for posting that clip was def a boost*
  • Zeppyb
    Zeppyb Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    the youtube clip zilla posted earlier in a discussion was great... jillian talks about just pushing to as far as you can go and then dropping to your knees then pushing back up again until you need to drop down again... and if need be substituting more static moves like just holding a plank... *thanks for posting that clip was def a boost*

I agree- just drop to your knees, but make sure you have proper form while on knees. Then come back up and do more regular or one legged. Just try to push yourself with each workout, squeezing in a few more before you have to modify. You will get there and I think moving on is good. You can also try to squeeze in a few more push-ups throughout the day to help build your strength. I'm going to start doing some right before bed to work up my strength for workout push-ups and plank moves.