how much calories do you REALLY need when BF?

Options
I am BF right now. I have been having a difficult time losing weight. If I eat too little, I feel starved and end up over eat later on (which was what happened yesterday). If I eat more, I can't lose weight.
Any suggestion on the optimal calorie intake level for BF mom? MFP tells me that I should consume 1,200 calories per day, which does not seem enough for me. I am constantly hungry.

Replies

• jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    hi, i am nursing my 10 month old. She only gets about 3 feedings per day and the rest solids. I have my calories set to 1700 calories and have been loosing weight just fine. I took it down from 1800 when she was feeding exclusively to 1700. Everything has been working just fine. I think 1200 is way to low while nursing. I hear you shouldnt go below 1800 when your nursing. I am sure i would be hungry too. lol Good luck to you!
  • etmeum
    etmeum Posts: 23
    Options
    1800 is very different from 1200. No wonder I feel hungry all the time. I will adjust my calorie intake and hopefully find an optimal level for my body. Thanks!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been netting 1400, so I subtract what I pump which gives me 700-800 calories and I eat most of my exercise calories back. I think it has finally been working for me and my supply hasn't been affected. I would say at least 1800.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    For sure nothing less than 1800. I have my diary set at 1260 and add whatever I pump which is always around 530-600 extra. So it comes out for my daily goal 1800-1900. I try to stay closer to 1800 cause I don't lose if I am closer to 1900. it falls below 1800, I'll eat a little extra snack. My supply has been great with it set up like this. LO is 4.5months old and ebf. You just gotta play with numbers and see what works for you.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You need to add breastfeeding in as an exercise. you burn 20 calories an ounce. So I pumped 30oz a day= I burned 600 calories a day.

That is why you are constantly starving. You probably have another 200 calories a day burned just taking care of the baby. Walking him/her, changing diapers, etc...
  • heathermora11
    heathermora11 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think observing your body is the only way to know. Low supply, grumpy, feeling terrible? Eat more calories! Gaining weight? Eat less calories! Last time I gained 6lbs by blindly consuming 500 extra calories everyday (or more!) regardless of a perfectly adequate supply. This time I will be a bit more aware of what my body/baby actually needs and if I see the scale go up (or refuse to come down), I will reevaluate!
  • Trishell27
    Trishell27 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was doing 1650 a day but then found that we need 500 extra a day form a form in LLL. So I bumped mine up to 2150 a day. I was also finding I was really hungry as well. I don't know if this is too much or not but I was doing 1650 and was still hungry. I might take it back a bit just to see.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    If your body considers itself starved you will not lose weight. It will take a few of weeks of eating correctly before you will be able to diet again. Eating at around 1800-2000 a day is a good start. You will need a while to establish what your maintenance should be with breastfeeding added as an exercise and when you are no longer gaining or losing weight you'll know to deduct calories from there. Lots of breastfeeding mums feel hungry a lot of the time, but make sure you drink a glass of water before eating, as often thirst is mistaken for hunger and mums often underestimate their needed fluid intake when feeding.
  • MermaidMY
    MermaidMY Posts: 8
    Options
    I make sure to eat my 500 EBFing calories and usually a chunk of my exercise calories. Some people hang onto weight when BFing and lose it easily when they wean, so you might need to decide which is more important to you and if it is BFing maybe not stress the last 10 lbs until you are done. With my daughter I hung onto a bunch of weight until she weaned then it was gone in a few months. EBFing her was more important to me but it sucked. Big time. Especially when I was ready to wean and get my body back and she wasn't. Looking back it was really only a short period of time but living it, it felt like forever.