Introduction and Advice Needed...

Options
Lorikorzen
Lorikorzen Posts: 5 Member
Hi...my name is Lori and I am 16 months post-op of having a gastric bypass. In the last 16 months I have gone from 288lbs to todays weight of 120lbs. I feel so much better about myself and am actually excited to buy new clothes. I recently finished the C25K running program and will run my first official 5k on June 1st, followed by a mud run on July 20th. My life has changed dramatically and except for the first few weeks (let's face it...those first few weeks really bite the big one!) I have never regretted my decision to have the bypass.

My prblem now is that I want to continue to lose but everyone around me says that I don't look good. They say I look too thin and that I am pale and always look tired. I have had my blood checked and all of my numbers are good...including vitamin B! I have a lot more energy than I have ever had before and I might look tired because I am actually out and doing stuff now.

Two of my sisters and 2 aunts have all had a gastric bypass and all of them have gained back their original weight loss and some have gained more on top of that. I am so scared that this will happen to me too!

Is it ok to continue to lose? Or do I heed the advice of friends and family and switch over to a maintanence mode? Also, at what point will I begin to automatically stop losing and start maintaining? I am so afraid of gaining all my weight back again.

Any advice or recommendations?

Replies

• sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    What does your surgeon say about this? I will always take my surgeon's advice over other people's plus if this journey has taught me anything it is to listen to my body. So, what does your body tell you?

Lastly, how tall are you? 120 lbs if you are 6'5" is a lot different than if you are 120 lbs and 5'2" lol
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    What does your surgeon say about this? I will always take my surgeon's advice over other people's plus if this journey has taught me anything it is to listen to my body. So, what does your body tell you?

Lastly, how tall are you? 120 lbs if you are 6'5" is a lot different than if you are 120 lbs and 5'2" lol

Agree!!! My parents keep telling me I need to stop losing and I'll get other comments like that once in a while from people who haven't seen me in a while. I think they are used to seeing me fat vs. healthy and that is how I look now. My surgeon says I'm doing great and I'm in the normal range for BMI, certainly not wasting away!
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options

Agree!!! My parents keep telling me I need to stop losing and I'll get other comments like that once in a while from people who haven't seen me in a while. I think they are used to seeing me fat vs. healthy and that is how I look now. My surgeon says I'm doing great and I'm in the normal range for BMI, certainly not wasting away!
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Never listen to family and friends, listen to your own body and your surgeon. I have also gotten the "you are too thin" comments. My surgeon is happy with where I am at and so am I.
  • Lorikorzen
    Lorikorzen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4' and feel good. I can not refer to my surgeon as he is no longer practicing. He left last summer about 6 months after my surgery.