How to tenderize meat?

Options
dannyXoxo
dannyXoxo Posts: 60 Member
So usually (before paleo) I would marinate steaks and thick cuts of pork in either beer or soda as it really tenderizes the meat before it hits the BBQ or grill. I was wondering now that I am paleo and knowing beer is made of grain can I still use it or are there other alternatives? If so how do you guys tenderize your meats?

Replies

• shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    slow cooker, pressure cooker, or a vinegar-y marinade. Or, grill first to get the sear, then finish in the oven where you can cook it longer.
  • dannyXoxo
    Options
    Thanks ill try that!
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Brining - 1 tbsp salt to every 1 cup of water until the meat is totally submerged. Cover and refrigerate. Small cuts of meat only need about an hour, but big roasts do better to brine overnight.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Vinegar + worchestshire sauce is another good marinade that will also tenderize meat.

If you're in a pinch.. pounding it with a tenderizer helps too.
  • dannyXoxo
    Options
    Ill give it a try :)
  • jenine4366
    jenine4366 Posts: 11
    Options
    Anything a little bit acidic will work wonders. I have a carne asada recipe that uses orange juice for the base of the marinade. It's pretty good.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I actually tenderize my meat with a meat hammer... you can buy them in places like bed/bath/beyond etc. I just salt them a bit and beat the crap out of em. works great......

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=meat+hammer
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    How to tenderize meat?

Chew. ;)
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    How to tenderize meat?

Chew. ;)
    ^^^ THIS! lol